INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database expressions development stopped?  (Read 1184 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Database expressions development stopped?
« on: April 08, 2005, 06:45:41 am »

Not long ago JRiver added great value to MC11 with its database expression possibilities. A few releases contained improvements on it but then develment seemed to stop for this area.

There are a lot of possibilities behind it. Unfortunately, some additions would be helpful to make it "complete".

I recently asked for the ISEMPTY function for all areas where database expressions are allowed to use. It is present for view schemes but not for "rename files from tags". Also the documentation of this function is missing at http://www.jrmediacenter.com/DevZone/DBExpressions.htm

Why is it so important? I am not able to query for empty field contents within an IF-statement. I want to use this for organizing file locations. For albums I prefer to use different locations than single tracks. Also for incomplete albums...

I think this would be something of general interest?

Moreover, could you make it possible to allow referring on new defined query fields from within other field queries?

Please, comment.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Database expressions development stopped?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 06:51:29 am »

There is only one expression evaluating engine, so functions should work anywhere expressions are supported.

Feel free to let us know what additions you'd like.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 07:23:45 am »

A great addition would be to be able to create "calculated custom fields" based on the new expressions.

I tryed (a few build ago and for tests purpose) to create a new custom field called "Removable". It was defined as a calculated field :

If( EQUALS( Mid([Filename],1,1) ,C,1) ,No,Yes)

This should result in a "Yes" for every file which is stored on my main hard drive (c:) and No for all others. Unfortunatly it don't work and simply returns "If(EQUALS(Mid([Filename], 1,1),C,1),No,Yes)" for every file in my database. (No evaluation is done for this custom field)

A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 12:50:06 pm »

There is only one expression evaluating engine, so functions should work anywhere expressions are supported.

The database expression engine behaves differently for view schemes and the "rename file from tags". Please test with such example:

File 1 has an entry in [Album]
File 2 is empty in [Album]

I create a new test field with that advanced expression: IF(ISEMPTY([Album]),Y,N) - This works fine!
I select both files and choose "rename files from tags": IF(ISEMPTY([Album]),Y,N) - For both I receive N
(It only doesn't work for the ISEMPTY function - all other functions seem to work)

I tried to create a work-around by referring to that test field in the view scheme:
IF([Test]=N,\ALBUMS\,\TRACKS\)
=> Of course this doesn't work as it's not possible to refer to a query field.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 01:00:58 pm »

If( EQUALS( Mid([Filename],1,1) ,C,1) ,No,Yes)

There is a function ISEQUAL. I tested a similar example which works fine. Not with custom calculated fields but with fields created in the view scheme. Of course, your proposal with having it as calculated field would be even better...

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 11:29:14 pm »

You're right Chris, it was ISEQUALS and not EQUALS (I wasn't at home when I wrote that, so it was not easy to remenber :))

Matt,
Is there still some room for additions (like expressions driven custom fields) or is MC11 in a freeze/debug only state ?
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 11:21:16 am »

I'm pretty sure Chris is correct.  After reading his post, I tried to create my own version of the problem to test.  I keep featured artists in their own field, so when I rename a file, I'd like to add them to the name IF they exist. 

With the expression: IF(ISEMPTY([Featured Artists]),/([Artist]/) - [Name],/([Artist] f. [Featured Artists]/) - [Name])

It should list just artists in parentheses when there aren't "featureds," but when there are, it will add them.  I tried it with ten songs, five with and five without featured artists.  It never found no featured artists, always putting ([Artist] f. Unknown Featured Artists) for the ones without.

It doesn't appear to be properly testing ISEMPTY in "Rename Files from Properties."
Pages: [1]   Go Up