INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Version Question and Some Observations  (Read 1233 times)

Den

New Version Question and Some Observations
« on: October 10, 2002, 11:45:17 am »

?Question: I am an 8.x registered user and would like to upgrade to the latest version. I'd prefer to download it on a high speed connection then load it onto my 'ripper' computer.

Is there a procedure to use so as not to lose my registration and data??

::)Observations:
  • At times the analog recorder leaves *.tmp files in the destination directory. I have the delete temporary files set.
  • I had an album record at a very fast rate for no apparent reason. Sounded like David Bowie the Chipmunk!! Someone else reprted this and only received 'joke' responses. Well now it has happened to two of us. Had to reboot to get back to norma speed.
    Pentium 333, 128 M, OGG @ 'normal' settings
  • A 'break here / restart' button that ended the current track and started a new one would be very nice on the analog recorder. It would allow the user to add breaks for live broadcasts or albums. A built in fade out / in would make it outstanding!!
  • A simple step through all tracks / rename option would help when every track has the Album name.

Great product... am enjoying it...
Den

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Version Question and Some Observations
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 05:33:06 am »

Just install the upgrade, it won't overwrite your registration or data files. You can backup your data files first just to be on the safe side.

What are the names of the *.tmp files? Are you using the simultaneous rip/encode option?

The "Split Track" button does what you asked for with the "break here / restart" suggestion.

I haven't been able to reproduce the "chipmunk" effect, but any more info on it would be helpful.

If you don't want the album name in the track name, go to "Options/File naming and location" and adjust the file naming rule. Or you can manually name them with the "Tracks" button (or download names from the internet if you're recording a cassette or LP).

Thanks for the feedback.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Den

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 06:23:34 am »

Thanks for the quick reply...

• The *.tmp files left behind, If my memory is OK, are numeric... looks like a random pattern. There are usually only 2 or 3 of them, not the same number as the # of tracks.
    Yes I am 'riping and encoding' simultaneously.

• I'll play with the 'split track' button.... thought I tried it and made a mess of things but as per your suggestion I will give it another try.

• Chipmunk: it was a 'record' function. Seemed like the software was in a 'save half the data' record mode. The track times were half of what they should have been and they played back at double the rate.
    I tried restarting Media Jukebox and it didn' clear the effect. Had to reboot.
    Other  tracks, recorded prior to the effect taking place, played back OK.
    Another player also reproduced the effect from the same 'chipmunk' tracks.
    Is there anything you would like me to look at / note if it happens again? Hopefully the ripping computer will be networked and internet ready this weekend so I can send info directly if needed.
    (I think I deleted all of the tracks but they may be in my recycle bin if you are interested in seeing them...)
    Let's hope it was a fluke and doesn't happen again.

Thanks again.... we are really enjoying your Jukebox. Currently using it to digitize and catalog all of my LPs... It will be a real pleasure to replace the turntable with a monitor and keyboard once they are all encoded.
MUCH more user friendly.

ron321

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 03:22:49 pm »

I have also just experienced the "chipmunk" effect on several of my mp3 files, and I am certain they were fine in the past.  Since this now makes 3 of us it possibly could be something in a recent build, I just tried updating and rebooting, to no avail.  I have found this on on least 4 different files, don't know how many others might be affected.  So far these files don't seem to be related in any way (time frame downloaded, same artist, etc) and are totally random.  These files are not ripped and were fine when I downloaded them and up until today.  I did recently do replay gain analysis on my whole library and did have several files that errored out.  I subsequently re-encoded them in tools (changed a slight property and let it decode and re-encode) and them analyzed them with no problem.  I don't know if any of these are the chipmunked files, but it is the only thing a can think of that has recently changed on my system or in my library.  I have other computers networked and have tried these songs with media player and get the same effect, so it seems to be the file and not the player.  Any help or suggestions would be welcomed since I have no idea how extensive this problem may be in my library.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.385
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 999 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 195 MB, Free - 56 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Thanks

Ps   If you think it would help I could either sen d you a copy of the file or let you log onto my system

Den

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 04:18:22 am »

UpDate:

Some more 'facts':

• ".TMP" files are still being left behind when I record from an analog input. the file names are similar to:
    VCE252.tmp, VCE25D.tmp, VCE25E.tmp Leaves 3 or 4 for every album (10 tracks or so).

• chipmunk: When a chipmunk file is recorded (analog input) the clock on the screen, during the recod procsess, runs at half speed. ... Shows 1 second when actually 2 seconds have gone by... etc. until the end of the recording where the track length is ~ 1/2 what it should be.
    I still see no cause / effect for this 'effect'. It just seems to happen when I start an analog recording.... a power down / power up is the only positive way of clearing it. Only happend once in awhile ... had it happen this morning but recorded 4 albums last night with no trouble!

• Split Track works fine except it puts gaps in the beginning of the next track. They seem to last the same length of time that it takes for the screen to catch up. When I click "split track" the recording clock stops, there is disk activity then the next track appears with say 10 or 15 seconds on the clock. Those 10 - 15 seconds of that track has gaps when I play it back.

Den :(

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 08:24:27 am »

".TMP" files are still being left behind when I record from an analog input. the file names are similar to: VCE252.tmp, VCE25D.tmp, VCE25E.tmp Leaves 3 or 4 for every album (10 tracks or so).

The only thing I can think of that might be producing these temp files is the OGG encoder. Try encoding to mp3 or some other encoder and see if you get the same temp files.

chipmunk: When a chipmunk file is recorded (analog input) the clock on the screen, during the recod procsess, runs at half speed. ... Shows 1 second when actually 2 seconds have gone by... etc. until the end of the recording where the track length is ~ 1/2 what it should be.
I still see no cause / effect for this 'effect'. It just seems to happen when I start an analog recording.... a power down / power up is the only positive way of clearing it. Only happend once in awhile ... had it happen this morning but recorded 4 albums last night with no trouble!  

Try updating your sound card driver. The following thread addressed the same problem (although with playback rather than recording).
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1032255129;start=0

Split Track works fine except it puts gaps in the beginning of the next track. They seem to last the same length of time that it takes for the screen to catch up. When I click "split track" the recording clock stops, there is disk activity then the next track appears with say 10 or 15 seconds on the clock. Those 10 - 15 seconds of that track has gaps when I play it back.  

Hmmm...  This sounds like the closing of the previous OGG file is taking up so much cpu time that the recording and encoding of the beginning of the next track can't keep up and ends up with gaps. OGG is a pretty slow encoder. Maybe try recording with the "simultaneous" option turned off, or encode to wave and do a batch conversion later.
Again, you could prove if the OGG encoder is the cause of this problem if you try recording to mp3 or wma instead, and see if you get those gaps.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up