INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Music?  (Read 4400 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What Is Your Favorite Music?
« on: October 05, 2002, 04:13:10 pm »

JimH's Number One Favorite Hit Is 'Stayin' Alive'

Picture This, JimH in a White Suit Ruling the Disco Floor

'Stayin' Alive' Charted At 01 In 1977

Listening to: 'Stayin' Alive' from 'Sounds of the Seventies 1977' by 'Bee Gees' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
Re: What Is Your Favorite Music?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 12:56:45 am »

Scary thought... not specifically Jim... ANYBODY in a white suit with big lapels and stuff!

another thought....

Instead of all these subjective "top x" listings - how about if MJ collated everyone's top 5 most frequently played tracks...

Who knows... staying alive might be No.1 :P

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2002, 06:02:37 am »

Portuguese -
Quadrilha By Maio Moço
Moda de Entrudo by Júlio Pereira
Quando eu Era Pequenina by Maio Moço
Vira de Santa Marta by Quim Barreiros
--& Many More--

Brazilian-
Imortal By Sandy & Junior
Alô By Chitãozinho e Xororó
--& Many More--

Celtic -
Cry of Celts From the Show RiverDance,
Caribbean Blue  By Enya
--& Many More--

International -
Hotel California By The Eagles,
Breakfast In America by Supertramp,
'74'75 by The Connels
Lifelines by A-ha
Lover Why by Century
It's a fine Day by barcode Brothers
Mutter by Rammstein
--& Many more--

It's more easy to me say what i don't like
Made in Portugal

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2002, 07:33:54 pm »

I love a variety of music such as Classic Rock, Celtic Music, Classic Salsa, but  My true love is Jazz. There are 3 albums that I can listen to at anytime and they are by Miles Davis: "Miles Ahead, Sketches Of Spain and Kind Of Blue"... not necessarily in that order :)
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

PeterS

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 07:01:12 am »

Right now I'm listening to Super Furry Animals, Interpol and The Skatalites.

PeterS

Listening to: 'Frisbee' from 'Fuzzy Logic' by 'Super Furry Animals' on Media Jukebox

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 07:43:26 am »

guitars,guitars and some guitars playing fast  on a stereo at MINUMUM level 8

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 08:15:09 am »

Just like Jim, I also like 'grease' :)

More seriously I'm a Stones addict and a Bruce Springsteen fan at the same time.
I like his last opus (The Rising) and I'm trying to get some tickets for Bruce's concert next week in Paris.

Beside this rock'n roll influence I listen to a lot of Jazz, folks like Miles, kenny Baron, Sarah, Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Al Jarreau, George Benson, Earl klugh etc... etc...

From time to time I like partying & exercising with tropical Rythms of zouk, salsa, merengue, reggae, soukouss and high-life (Ghanaian music).

Some other times, I recall I was born in France and I listen to some francophone singers like, Polnareff, Michel Berger, Michel Jonasz and more... I also like Robert Charlebois very much (Hey Lise how R U ?)

As U can see I'm quite eclectic in my musical taste, that's the way it is. ..
BTW one of my favourite song is  "Smoke gets in your eyes" an old classic, think I have about thirty versions in my MJ library.
Don't ask me why this song... If I remember well it has to do with some lady I knew  :-[

Anyway music is great and even greater with the help of MJ !

Love to you all !
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2002, 09:21:26 am »

My all-time favorites are The K&D Sessions and Cafe Del Mar Volume 7.

I've actually grown fond of Trust Company's and Avril Lavigne's new albums.  There are some quality tracks on both albums; not just one good song and 12 filler tracks.  I recomend them.

More of my favorites include Blue Wonder Power Milk by Hooverphonic, Lovage's Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By, and anything by Fiona Apple and Nine Inch Nails.

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Michael Horton

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2002, 09:57:12 am »

I'm quite flexible in the types of music that I like. ;) Very simple criteria for enjoyable music:

1) It CANNOT be rap, hip-hop, house, disco, soul, blues, jazz, opera, mariachi, techno, funk, salsa, modern country, top 40, heavy metal, electronica, southern rock, detroit rock, classical piano solos, doo-wop, boy bands . . . . or whatever categories that Celine Dion, Barbara Strisand and Frank Sinatra fall under.
2) it MUST NOT contain any of the following: a saxephone, ukulele, kazoo, trumpet or harmonica ( :P).
3) It MUST have: real drums, a bass guitar, at least 2 guitars (one of which should be 12-string  ;D), harmonized vocals (male-male, female-female, and female-male are all ok).
4) It CAN have any of the following: flute, penny whistle, accordian, steel guitar, mandolin, fiddle, viola, non-brass wind instruments, percussion . . . . and keyboards--IF not done in excess.

So, most folk, folk-rock, vintage country (say, 1940 to 1963), alternative country, alt country-rock, alternative rock, jangle pop, power pop, indie pop, British folk-rock, Celtic and Celtic-rock, British Invasion, surf and Andean folk all work pretty well for me.

Listening to: 'Scooby Doo' from 'Aden (self-titled)' by 'Aden' on Media Jukebox

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2002, 11:06:25 am »

My dear mhorton
A record with a tongue clapping solo will do?

Kazzo is not bad.I have one VERY freak out lp with a yahoo orchestra playing Satisfaction and others

I do not like funk,tranco-house,rap and FM rock
I HATE jazz-rock,fusion and prog
Brasilien music make me sad,down and depress.So i do not listen to it

Beside this i like all the other musics.From minimalist Sati to free jazz,even pure noise from industrial bands and cybernetic disco,classical persian music and Rock music from early country to Pearl Jam.
All of it has to be played loud.

As a french born i like french/arab rap because the way they play with the language ,the words is just fantastic.
Beside this the arab music part makes it listenable.
Very old 'realiste' songs,again because of the words.JJ Golman and Jonas,again because of the words and one of the best rock band at worlwide level: Noir Desir.

in french any song-even pop song- has lyrics who look like hight literature if you compare with 95% of lyrics from english songs.

As living in Israel,beside rock and punk bands,i like music  who mix oriental music and rock  and most of the top 10 songs if they have an oriental taste.Kind of 'i  lOOOvEEE YOUououOU' with some bass,guitar and kind of belly dance music.This is REALLY bad taste,but ....

listening to banana pelt by The Pretending Erection -israeli rock band -on MJ8

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2002, 02:34:03 pm »

Zevele maybe you know there is a music that i listen many times in the bars here it appears the music Kiss kiss by Holly Valence but is in arabic and there is another that start's with the sound of a acoordion and is in arabic too...any ideias?
Thanks in advance
Made in Portugal

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2002, 03:03:36 pm »

Hmm, i think ill listen to anything with a beat, literally. Contemporary Christian, Country, Classical, Rock, Rap, R & B, Funk, Soul, Techno, Alternative, Pop, Celtic, Native American, Oldies, Folk, Easy Listening, Soft Rock, Punk, Classic Rock, Psychadelic Rock, Bluegrass, Hardcore Metal, Rap-Rock, whew....you name it i listen to it, and if i havent heard it, send it my way and more than likely it will become part of my library.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2002, 03:08:46 pm »

iam very sorry ChicoSelf,but i do not know this 2 songs.

Many years ago was a band from Portugal who had some succes in France.I do not remember his name.The name has more than one word 'heros del ..,or something like it.
I like fado also.
Tell me ,you are VERY freak-out in Portugal.
I saw on the spanish TV racing bull where men are one behind the other screaming at the bull ant trying to hang his horns to stop him and put it on the ground.
It is just AMAZING,but you are crazy!

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2002, 03:19:57 pm »

That's us yes  ;D here we call that guys "Forcados" and yes they are nuts what they are doing is a "Pega", I like only The "Garraiada" imagine you and a bunch of guys with 5/6 bull's in a arena ( No animals are hurt or kill in spain they kill the animals we don't, the only hurt in that are some guys ;D) the group you are saying maybe is "Heroes Del Silêncio" but is Spanish Now the Band most known from Portugal Is "Madredeus" They are very Good
Made in Portugal

zevele10

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2002, 03:37:33 pm »

I may get insuls from others on this forum but i started to go to racing bull -the spanish ones- when i was 4,5 years old and since then i am a corrida lover.
I know the garriada.But the real ceremony,magic is spanish corrida

You are right,'Heros Del Silencios' are spanish.but i speak about portuguese band,maybe was the word 'sea' in they name

First time i heard Madredeus was in a Win Winders movie set in Portugal.They music was just si beautiful!
I know they are big in France -and very well know here

By the way,how to enter you site?I tried ****   **** but i got a pop up  kind of 'no good man'
And what time it is in Portugal? We changed hour last night,but i do not remember if we are now at the same time than Europe,until you move to winter time.
It is 1:48 AM now for me

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2002, 03:46:49 pm »

Sea? Is "Heróis do Mar"? ( Heroes from sea )

My Webpage is now Closed that's why you can't go inside, the hour here is only 0:46 AM
Made in Portugal

rocketsauce

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2002, 04:02:56 pm »

Most of the new music I buy falls into the electronic(a), house, trance category (Orb, Orbital, FSOL).  I did get the new Queens Of The Stone Age CD, Songs For The Deaf, which is a great rock album.  And, I think my favorite album of the year, so far, is Tenacious D.

However, having grown up in the 70s and attended university in the 80s, I still listen to a lot of old music.

I love 70s Classic Rock (Elton John, Journey, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Rush).  I love the rock operas/musicals from the 70s (Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy, Hair, Godspell, Phantom Of The Paradise, and yes, Grease).

Still listen to 80s New Wave (Devo, B-52s, Adam & The Ants), Goth (Sisters Of Mercy, Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Tones On Tale), Dance (Dead Or Alive) and Synthpop (Depeche Mode, Human League, Heaven 17, Ultravox, New Order, Soft Cell, Eurythmics, Frankie Goes To Hollywood), a little Rap & Hip Hop (Run-DMC, Whodini, Beastie Boys, Fat Boys), Funk and R&B (Prince, almost anything produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis in the 80s).

Rob

sekim

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2002, 05:55:42 pm »

Mostly Metal. But anything with great guitar work is good for me.

Examples of Great Guitar Players:

Jeff Beck - As of late, his 'Who Else!' album gets the car just a thumpin' on the way to and from work. Toss up between two songs on this album, 'Psycho Sam' and 'Blast from the East'. Wow.

Robben Ford - Kind blues-fusion. Guy can really play.

Robin Trower - Probably underrated compared to his contemporaries. But that don't mean nothin' to me. One of my favorites from him, 'The Fool and Me'. Simply outstanding.

The list could go on, but I have to get up early. ;)

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2002, 09:14:58 pm »

I like that Monday Night Football theme they play when the Packers beat the Bears (once again).

Scronch

NoCodeUK

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2002, 12:20:36 am »

Chico> Holly Valances Kiss Kiss was actually a rewrite of a turkish track from about 4 or 5 years ago.  I can remeber it being on a TV prog we have called Euro Trash which showcases what is happening in Europe.  I cant remember the guy but the song is almost exactly the same except the lyrics are in Turkish and not English (if Turkish is what they speak in Turkey??)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

zevele10

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2002, 12:40:56 am »

Yes they speak turkis in Turkey.
In fact it is a brand of arab.But at the begining of 1900 they translated it to latin letters.It why you see turkis with the same letters than english,french.
But before they wrote it as the arab you know

zevele10

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2002, 04:01:52 am »

MachineHead

VERY UNDERRATED
Sure he did some bad records,but ,just after Procol Harum he was see as an Hendrix number 2.

There is a MachineHead live out or near to be out by the way.
I am now in Doom metal.Funeral and drone Doom ,this i really like.More slow noise than music by the way

sekim

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2002, 04:13:51 pm »

Here it is zevele.

zevele10

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2002, 04:21:03 pm »

Thank you!
I want to post to Cmagic .But 2:24 AM ,so for now,i go to bed,
Have a good evening-if evening for you

zevele10

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2002, 12:37:08 pm »

Cmagic

I remember the first time The Boss played in France.In fact it was late,not before The River.
I had  friends from Bordeaux who came for the concerts.
The  day before the show we spent hours listening to all his records in an over- crowded flat,people sleeping on the floor.
What we got the first evening was FANTASTIC and we had sleepless night speaking about the concert.

It is good to be a 'fan'

I played to death Born and Darkness,knowing any riff,break and word.
But today i barely can listen to it: the sound is a mess,like a gravy soup.
I remember this words from Point Blank[?]
Nothing is forbiden
Nothing is forgiven
When it's your last time around

Or something like it

Cmagic

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2002, 12:56:29 pm »

Salut Jonatan,

Point blank is a good song although not my favourite.

In my list of favourite music I forgot to mention some french band I used to like : telephone, trust...
Zev, do you remember "antisocial" ?

BTW, can we say we're somebody's fan in english too ? Doesn't fan means 'ventilator' ?
In that case I better go and listen to 'Ventilator Blues' (exile on main street)

I'm now listening to something else I lalso like : Listening to: 'My Man' from 'On The Border' by 'Eagles' on Media Jukebox
Bob Marley (War)

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2002, 01:13:19 pm »

My favorite music is Classic Rock and Blues.  THough I will listen to just about anything.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

zevele10

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2002, 01:13:24 pm »

Funny enought:i'am listening to Exile on the main street on 180gr vinyl lp since half an hour.
But life is not perfect,this new lp is from digital mix,not analog.I do prefer the sound of my old lp.

Ok for Telephone and Trust.I have the records,but was more on the punk\garage side:Oberkampf-Berurier Noir-les Dogs-les Thuggs-OTH-Marie et les garcons -Taxi Girl ect ect

Do not know,if  you can use fan in english,because of it i used'  ''.But 'fan-club'is use only in France?

What about Mick Deville?Kind of rock you may like

I like very much the 2 first Bruce lps,not yet the Boss ,for sure,but very good albums

Cmagic

Re: What Is Your Favorite Music? 10
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2002, 01:36:10 pm »

You mean Mink Devile, yes I like it as I also like Elvis Costello, Moon Martin...

2 days ago I bought the new 2CD set  from the Stones : "forty licks". Well, I had to
because of 4 new unreleased tracks (on 40!).
The bad thing about this album is that 10 tracks are vere badly remixed... in mono. when they
were originally stereo!
On 'Satisfaction' for example you can barely hear the piano (Ian Stewart I think)
When the original mix (done in 1965) was very good. I really don't understand this remixing stuff.
Maybe they wanted those songs to sound 'old' ?

Bob Marley (War)

zevele10

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2002, 01:46:12 pm »

Can be they put the mono mix of the old songs?

There is also a mess with the first Who lp-never on cd except in USA and mono mix-
The new stereo mix on my My Generation erease the guitar!! To the point they put the mono version as well!

As a rule ,for music from this time , the mono mix is the original one.It is what artists worked on
Most of the time the stereo mix was done after in studio,the band nt here.
Listen to the first Pink Floyd,Roger The Enginer by the Yarbirds,John Mayall with Clapton in mono.Trust me you can hear the difference

Mike\Willy of cause

Cmagic

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2002, 01:58:51 pm »

Well I don't know what they did. One thing I'm sure of is that on my old DECCA LP of 'out of her head'
recorded in 65 you can clearly hear the piano and the bass part by Bill Wyman where on the 2002 'forty licks'
CD the sound is muddy and the right /left channels are purely identical. (checked under media editor).

I remember an interview of Mick Jagger by Philippe Manoeuvre in which he said that the Stones liked
to have a 'muddy' sound. they wanted their LPs to sound like old 'low quality' cassettes !
So maybe they're now back to the roots !

for now I'm going to hit the bed

G'd Night folks !
Bob Marley (War)

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2002, 02:44:08 pm »

I like so called "World Music" more & more as time passes & life shortens. I don't understand the lyrics being mono-lingual, but the music behind has always been more important than the lyrics (they COULD be talkin' bout my mama for all I know). I could care less if there is a social message behind it. Smooth & beautiful voices are key (ie Lisa Gerrard).

Been listening to a lot of Spanish Guitar/Flamenco, African (ie King Sunny Ade & Ayub Agado), and Russian Cathedral music (Sacred Treasures on Hearts of Space label is awesome).

Generally consider English bands to be the most innovative & have the most interesting sound (Massive Attack - Morcheeba - Chemical Brothers to name a few). All time favorite? Pink Floyd

Favorite Icelandic band to chill to? ..... Sigur Ros

Listening to: Massive Attack - Teardrop.
Was listening to: Ayub Agado - Obiero
Will listen to: Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps

Went a few pennies over my $0.02. Oh well :D

Xenno

swilburn

• Lost Ball (Tall Weeds!)
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2002, 09:20:00 pm »

Music I like:

Jehtro Tull ("Skating Away....." comes to mind)
Rush (before they "grew" and became serious)
Aerosmith (anything before Done With Mirrors)
BTO (Not Fragile was their best album IMO)
Black Sabbath (with Ozzy)
Tommy Cochrane and Red Rider
The Kinks
Neil Young
Kansas
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
CCR

Well, that's probably enough.

Listening to silence - boys are in bed sleeping (ages 5 yrs and 2 yrs), and I don't feel like headphones right now.
Sam Wilburn

Etheriel

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2002, 09:33:25 am »

yeah whoever wanted to know the original kiss kiss was done by tarkan, i think.

I'm about as broad minded as you get with music, I like Soul, Funk, Classic, Modern and Alt Rock, Britpop, Electronica, Acid Jazz, Reggae, Rap, RnB and some Classical (talking stuff like Carmina Burana).

Only stuff I don't like is Death Metal (Slipknot, Korn), Folk, Teenie Pop etc and I've never really listened to 'World Music'

Listening to Otis Redding - Sitting on the dock of the bay
Will be Listening to Incubus - Are You In?

Etheriel ;D

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2002, 05:36:48 pm »

Yeah, but everybody likes Carmina Burana.

'tis the season--how about
Bach - Tocotta and Fugue in D Minor
Chopin - Funeral March

Actually, those are two of my favorites any time of year.

I notice you didn't include country in your "like" list.  Good for you.  I pretty much agree with your "like" list, except I can't tolerate rap.  I don't dislike all death metal; sometimes it sounds good (usually when I'm pretty plastered, though).  Folk is OK.  I also don't like teenie pop, except the old, old stuff--Monkees, Foundations "Build me up Buttercup" (if that qualifies), and so on.  But, yes, I can't stand little girls with breast implants and probably voiceovers.

Scronch

zevele10

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2002, 12:23:31 am »

Not sure  Korn and Slipknot are Death Metal.
More kind of MTV mayonnaise

Not americain,i do not have a love\hate\shame relation with country music.
I do like the early Johnny Cash,Carter Family,Guy Clark,Hank Snow,Townes Van Zandt,Hank Thompson,Buck Owens,Steve Young,David Allan Coe and many of the  Texas outlaws.
Concerning modern Nashville country,better not to speak about,even 4 words letters are to soft

But, yes, I can't stand little cowboys with breast implants and probably voiceovers. To use a Scronch sentence,changing it a little...........

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2002, 12:37:56 am »

>More kind of MTV mayonnaise

>Townes Van Zandt

We've had that discussion before.  I saw him at Bunky's in Madtown circa 1980.  Very intimate.  He got hammered and dropped his guitar.  I'll never forget that night.

>But, yes, I can't stand little cowboys with breast implants and probably voiceovers.

What a visual!  And how true.

How about a little cult alternative from Milwaukee:
Listening to: 'American Music' by 'Violent Femmes' on Media Jukebox

Scronch

zevele10

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2002, 01:19:13 am »

I allways find you on the forum.You never sleep?
Rigth now it is not middle of the night for you?.

I mean in "my day time' you are very often on line.But my day time must be night time for you?

VIOLENT FEMMES  hey hey.
The kind of US bands who sells much more records in Europe than in US.
I really like them .To the point to buy they first album reedited on Rhino-2 cds =lp +26 songs,when i do not buy any new cds from major since months.

I saw  them few times live,was good!

Have a nice ???day? night? early morning?

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2002, 01:26:05 am »

Hello again Zev,

Yes, it is getting to be early morning.  I am in the same time zone as Mpls/St Paul (JRiver), so the forum time is my time; now about 4:23am.  I've always been a night owl.  I like to get a lot of sleep, I just don't have the time the last few years.

Winterized the pontoon boat today (Wednesday afternoon for the rest of you).  First time I've ever ran antifreeze into an inboard engine and fogged it.  It was a learning experience.  Glad it's done--it is getting cold here at night.  Close to freezing (the reader may express that in the temperature scale of his/her choice).

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up