INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Audio Card for ASIO with MC?  (Read 2355 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen
Best Audio Card for ASIO with MC?
« on: April 23, 2005, 11:03:11 pm »

I've been using ASIO with a cheap audio card and ASIO4ALL via the instructions found here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2170297#post2170297

It works unless I pause playback or jump around quickly between songs.  Then I get a background popping noise that is hard to get rid of - I usually have to close and restart MC.  I've played around with the settings in MC, ASIO4ALL, and the audio card driver.  I can't fix it.

So, my question is, what is the best internal audio card for ASIO playback with MC?  I want the card's native drivers to work and work well - no ASIO4ALL or any other tweaks required.  I will only use the digital out (so it needs SPDIF or COAX out) so I don't care about the D/A converters on the card.  And, obviously, cheaper is better!

Thanks - would love to hear about some rock solid audio cards ... and please mention the type of digital output available ...

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
Re: Best Audio Card for ASIO with MC?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 11:52:36 pm »

I just installed a Chaintech AV-710 sound card.  It is touted as a great value card which uses the same ENVY 24PT chip used in many high-end audio cards (e.g. M-Audio).

When I loaded the ASIO4ALL v1.8, i had the same behavior, popping when switching tracks.  After installing the newest ASIO4ALL v2.6, all noise is gone.  I tried switching back and forward, stopping, restarting, pause-start, etc.  Seems to be working fine.

The AV-710 has a digital optical out, which feeds into your home system.  Although the ENVY chip support that I mentioned above onlys applies to the main stereo front channels, it is still a great choice at $25.  I got mine from zipzoomfly, delivered with no shipping.  Newegg also carries it, but it was out of stock when I ordered.

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 11:54:18 pm »

p.s. I don't work for any of these companies : )

Just had to try the Chaintech after reading much about it on this and other boards.

Also, I though I would try it before considering paying the $100+ for an M-Audio card (if the 5.1+ ENVY support is required).

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 03:42:18 am »

I've tried quite a few and have ended up standardising on M-Audio's delta 2496 which is now pretty cheap (£50 ish in the UK)

It works a treat with MC, is stable, drivers work straight from the box
Coax digital in/out, plus analogue in/out

I use M-Audio Sonica USB cards where I need optical SPDIF

They work fine with multipe cards in a single PC handling multiple zones (nb. only tried 3)

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 02:19:44 pm »

I have good results with the M-audio DIO24/96 and the ESI-pro Juli@

Both cards support both optical & coax digital outputs as well as inputs.

No additional driver required for ASIO.

Cheers

Thomas

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:42:48 pm »

I have 2 cards in my Server both using ASIO.

M-Audio 24/96 audiophile - best card
Soundblaster using the KX drivers fro Audio

Both work perfect with the M-Audio taking the edge in quality

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 04:06:20 pm »

I too am looking into upgrading my soundcard (currently using an on-board AC97 and not too happy either with ASIO4ALL's results). The M-audio delta audiophile 2496 seems quite nice but at 88€ over here it's still a bit more expensive than other cards with SPDIF out and native ASIO support.

I've just found a SB Audigy 2 Value for 40€ and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this one.

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 01:22:39 pm »

I have used the audigy card and also the M-Audio 2496
its only my opinion but... the M-Audio is worth the xtra for:
1. ease of use
2. robustness of drivers
3. ability to totally bypass windows sound settings

if you use an external DAC the difference is less but if you use the card's dac - imho go for the M-Audio

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 10:32:40 am »

Thanks all.  I am currently using the same Chaintech card as piazza with the Envy drivers.  I'll try the latest ASIO4ALL first to see if it fixes my problem.  If not, I'll probably go for the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 based on the driver stability mentioned.

Thanks again.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 02:42:13 pm »

Hi  Jakester,

I would also have a look at the Terratec "Phase" series of cards.  These are very strong performers, solid drivers and great sounding.  They also come with balanced I/O if you need that.  Their ASIO drivers bypass the windows built-in mixer and their own mixer/control panel is well thought out and easy to use.  I have the Phase 22 and have never had a problem.  This brand is usually missed when people are looking to upgrade, I would check the prices at JD Sound, they always seem to be among the cheapest and they provide good service.

Good Luck!

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 01:45:50 pm »

I upgraded to the latest ASIO4ALL and now everything works great with my Chaintech AV710!  I've verified bit-perfect using DTS encoded WAV files and all is well.  Play/pause/stop/jump back/jump forward - all works great!  Not a single pop.  Many thanks piazza for suggesting to try the latest ASIO4ALL!

I just finished ripping all 800+ of my CDs into .ape format via secure mode (took me 9 months - I have two little ones at home) and now the playback issues are solved.  I'm quite happy about this - it's wonderful to have my complete collection at my fingertips!

Thanks to the rest of you for the other suggestions as well.  The M-Audio and Terratec cards sound very nice.

Happy Lossless MC Customer Here!

Jakester
Pages: [1]   Go Up