INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can download manager qeues be saved?  (Read 1255 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
can download manager qeues be saved?
« on: May 08, 2005, 10:13:05 am »

I loaded up an overnight list of url's into the download manager, only to have the program crash an hour into it.  Is there any way to save off the qeue, so that you could load a very long list and then pause it during the day and reactivate it each night?

BTW, thanks to those who answered my question re/ moving file locations.  Very helpful.  Doesn't anyone have an answer for the "adjusting replay gain" question?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: can download manager qeues be saved?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 08:26:12 pm »

I don't think there is a way of saving it manually. The program saves the list automatically upon closing and loads it next time it is started. If the program crashed, the list would not be saved.

What were the circumstances in which it crashed?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

UnknownID

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:17:28 pm »

Since it saves the list when closing, you could...
1. Queue up your files
2. Close the program so it saves
3. Re-open and start your download.

If there is a problem, the next time you re-open you should have the same list. You will have to check (since I use the DM on rare occasions) about what to do if the file has already been downloaded (AKA exists in the download folder). Does it skip it, ask about overwriting, or will it start over again. In the last instance you could just look in the folder and see what is already on your system and start again from the last file you received.

I cannot guarantee its success, but give it a try and see what happens ;D

UnknownID

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:58:46 pm »

yaobing--
Since you asked, the crash appears to be related to the OTHER mc process going at the same time, which was a conversion of .shn files into wma (lossless) format.  MC appears to have trouble either with the shn files or with going into wma lossless.  I've since given up on wma and gone to FLAC.  BTW--nybody know why a "lossless" FLAC plugin would have "quality" settings?

Additionally, I run a dual-xeon machine (win2k) and mc seems to crash periodically unless I restrict the program to one processor only. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:59:50 pm »

yaobing--
Since you asked, the crash appears to be related to the OTHER mc process going at the same time, which was a conversion of .shn files into wma (lossless) format.  MC appears to have trouble either with the shn files or with going into wma lossless.  I've since given up on wma and gone to FLAC. 
I hope UnknownID's suggestion would provide a work around for you. As for crash, if I can isolate the cause, I will try fixing it. But it does seem to be a complicated matter.

BTW--nybody know why a "lossless" FLAC plugin would have "quality" settings?
I don't know about FLAC, but for APE, quality refers to how much compression you get.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

UnknownID

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:16:31 pm »

I don't know about FLAC, but for APE, quality refers to how much compression you get.
More specifically, the quality settings are more like “efficiency” settings. No data is lost at any of the settings, but the higher the compression mode, which yields a smaller file, takes longer to encode and decode and is more resource intensive in the process.

I ran a number of tests using APE. I encoded the same album at each of the different rates and made a chart for time and size. I wound up just using Normal since it wasn’t a significant size difference (it was only like 5 Megs either way, which isn’t significant when encoding with lossless). You should run some tests with FLAC and see what you prefer.

I hope this helps.
UnknownID

Pages: [1]   Go Up