INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Many Synchronization Questions  (Read 1184 times)

Edwardml

• Recent member
Many Synchronization Questions
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:18:27 am »

I just got a new MP3 player and I'd really like to get it working with MC, but I have a lot of questions about how the synchronization features work.  I've tried searching the message boards for almost a week now, and while I've often found people asking some of the same questions I have, I haven't found any answers to them.  Since many of those posts are months old, I'm hoping someone might be able to clear up at least some of my questions.

First of all, my setup:
Running Windows XP, I have my MC11 library set up to recognize all of the music in my "My Music" folder, which is arranged "My Music/Artist/Album/Artist-title.mp3."  I am trying to synchronize this data with my iRiver H320.  I currently have MC set up to use it as a hard drive recognized as a media player, and I started out by copying all of the folders in my "My Music" directory to "H:/Music/", and I created another folder "H:/Playlists/" For my playlists.

Now, my questions....

1)My "Path to detect" is set as "H:\Music\".  Can anyone confirm that this is what I want?

2)What is the difference between "Default Playlist Directory" and "Playlist Filepath"?  I couldn't find this anywhere in the Help files...

3)I have over 2000 files in my library, but when i click "Auto Sync Player and "My Library" when device is plugged in, I only get 400 or so files on my device.  It looks like maybe it's only copying the files that are in playlists, which wouldn't be a big deal 'cause I could just create a smartlist including my entire library, but is this the way it's supposed to work?

4)If I put files on my mp3 player from another computer, and then sync it with my main computer, is there a way to get the main computer to add these files to my library, or does the sync only work one way?

5)Although all of the files on my my mp3 player are organized into folders, when i sync a playlist, it puts all the mp3's that are on the playlist in the root h:/ folder... this completely messes up the organization, is there a way to get around this?

6)As many other people have mentioned, when exporting a playlist, the entire path of the file is included (ex. "C:\Documents and Settings\..."), which obviously doesn't work on the mp3 player.  I have yet been unable to find an actual solution to this problem.

I know this post is long, but thank you so much for your help!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Many Synchronization Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 04:25:33 pm »

1)My "Path to detect" is set as "H:\Music\".  Can anyone confirm that this is what I want?

If you want all your music stored in a folder called "Music" on the H320, then yes.

2)What is the difference between "Default Playlist Directory" and "Playlist Filepath"?  I couldn't find this anywhere in the Help files...

Default Playlist directory is where m3u playlists will be created on your device.  Only use this field if your device requires playlists to be in a certain directory to be recognized and played.

3)I have over 2000 files in my library, but when i click "Auto Sync Player and "My Library" when device is plugged in, I only get 400 or so files on my device.  It looks like maybe it's only copying the files that are in playlists, which wouldn't be a big deal 'cause I could just create a smartlist including my entire library, but is this the way it's supposed to work?

If you are set to sync your whole library, MC should sync all your audio files to the device. If this is not the case,  are you seeing a warning about duplicate files?

4)If I put files on my mp3 player from another computer, and then sync it with my main computer, is there a way to get the main computer to add these files to my library, or does the sync only work one way?

The sync only works one way (pc to device), but you can add files to your PC and then subsequently to the MC library by right clicking on them from within MC and choosing the option to send files to the PC.

5)Although all of the files on my my mp3 player are organized into folders, when i sync a playlist, it puts all the mp3's that are on the playlist in the root h:/ folder... this completely messes up the organization, is there a way to get around this?

Right click on your device and use the option to 'Configure upload folders' to do what you are after.

6)As many other people have mentioned, when exporting a playlist, the entire path of the file is included (ex. "C:\Documents and Settings\..."), which obviously doesn't work on the mp3 player.  I have yet been unable to find an actual solution to this problem.

If you are using synchronization to create the playlists on the device, the paths should begin with './' by default unless you enter something in the 'Playlist Filepath' field.

Steve

Edwardml

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:22:19 am »

Thank you so much!!  I've spent days trying to figure all that out.  And yes...I do get a warning about duplicate files, why is that?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:14:20 pm »

Sorry for the delay. I posted a reponse on Friday but there was a glitch that caused it not to appear.

You get the duplicate message because you are attempting to transfer multiple files with the same Name, Artist , Album, Genre and Track Number tags. These fields are used to uniquely identify files for transfer to Portables. If you can, it would be good to make sure your files are unique based on these fields.

Steve

Edwardml

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 02:43:59 pm »

but they are (for the most part) unique files...There may be a couple here and there that are duplicates, but it says there are roughly 2000 duplicates (essentially the size of my entire library) when i try to sync a playlist containing all of the tracks in my library...

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:14:03 am »

Please post the message that you see exactly with an example of one of the duplicates it is alerting you to. Take the information for one of the duplicates and do a search in your library for anything with those fields and see what you get.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up