INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing MJ on TV Monitor..............TV  (Read 1589 times)

sentryl

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Viewing MJ on TV Monitor..............TV
« on: October 09, 2002, 06:51:58 pm »

I want to view MJ on my tv which is in another room ( approx 70 feet) and I want to control MJ from that room with a wireless Infrared mouse.
What do I need to accomplish this?  What type of equipment and what cable to use.
Thanks

phreaktweak

• nothing more to say...
Re: Viewing MJ on TV Monitor..............TV
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2002, 02:38:28 pm »

Sentryl,

First, you're going to need a PC connected to the TV.  There's really no good way to connect the TV from 70 feet (bad quality signal).  I've done just what you want to do.  I have 2 PCs, one is a server, and the other is a client.  The server is connected to the TV.  The server iss maxed out, with a GeForce 4 Ti4200 videoa card, 6ch Dolby Digital Soundcard, PVR (personal video recorder) card, P4 2.2 GHz, 1 Meg RAM, etc.  The client can be a dumbed down machine with the basics.  You have to make sure the video card for the PC connected to the TV has video out (preferrably, in my opinion, S-Video out).  You'll run, in the S-Video case, an S-Video cable from the Video Card to the TV.  Next, you'll have to network the 2 PCs (either wired or wireless, your choice, though wireless is more expensive).  Then, on the client machine, install a program called "Radmin", which you can find by doing a search on Google.  I think it is $19 or $29.  Install Radmin on both PCs.  Then, from the client PC, you'll be able to view the Server PC and control what it does (start programs, download music, etc.), and since the server is connected to the TV, whatever you do from the client machine will appear on the TV.

Hope that helps.  Email if you have more questions.

TKN

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 05:10:16 pm »

I am wondering more how to arrange Media Jukebox to be controlled with a regular remote, also a TV display skin that actually looks good and professional.

What I would love is something like a Tivo style interface with menus, abilities to set playlists. It would have to be navigated quickly and easy...

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 05:54:14 am »

Another question here: What kind of video card should you use if you want BOTH TV and monitor displaying the desktop? I tried with my GeForce2 card with TV out, but can only see either TV or Monitor. Tried a program that was supposed to display on both units, but it was quite crappy output...
I know Matrox have their dualview, but I really don't like Matrox since my old videocard....

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2002, 06:30:42 am »

Marty3D : GeForce2 MX and GeForce 4 based cards support nView, the nVidia multi-display system. Support for it is better if you have Windows XP, but it works under 2000 as well.

TKN : Many people here control MJ with a piece of hardware called an IRMan, and some control software called Girder. Do a search on either of these and you should find plenty of information.

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 09:04:40 am »

cjdshaw: So what you're saying is that With GeForce4 and GF2MX cards, I can actually view the desktop on the TV and the monitor at the same time? That would be sooo nice if it was like that...My card is an GF2GTS...perhaps thats why I must switch between the viewing devices...?

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2002, 10:12:09 am »

Exactly. Or you can have them as two separate monitors. e.g. MJ playing on TV while you browse tne internet on the monitor

Marty3d

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2002, 01:01:50 am »

Hm...I guess it's time for me to buy a new video card. It's too much fuzz running around in the flat trying to click on the accept-video-properties-button without being able to see it whenever I want to see a divx or view MJ on the TV :)

TKN

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2002, 11:33:29 am »

In fact I have both the IRMan and Girder, but it is the interface that is the issue.... CDLobby looks promising, but I would rather the interface was built in...
Pages: [1]   Go Up