INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11: Search for string in 'People' field  (Read 1636 times)

Dutch Peter

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Carpe Diem
MC11: Search for string in 'People' field
« on: May 15, 2005, 03:57:02 pm »

I have started to use MC for pictures next to songs.
I am using the Album, People, Places, Event fields to document a picture.
In the People field I soemtimes add 2-3 names of people on the picture. Above 3 i call it a 'group'.
I tried to use the search field to find al the pictures where 'Peter' was part of the 'People'-field. But that did not work.

Does search look in the field i use for documenting my pictures?
It search configurable?
If not, how can I file on: where 'People' is like "*Peter*"?

;) Thanks,  Dutch Peter
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

jgreen

Re: MC11: Search for string in 'People' field
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 04:21:24 pm »

This did not work right for me either, until I deselected the option at the bottom of the dialog box: "Only show items that match other search criteria".  With this deselected, you will immediately get all entries in your people field, or whichever field you selected.

In other words, jriver views this search method as a refinement by default, which is odd, considering it's at the topmost position of the search pipeline. So if you actually want it to show you what you're looking for, it apparently requires an extra step.

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 04:47:25 pm »

More annoying still, any jrivers that are listening in, is that there doesn't seem to be any way to make the "people" field function like the field in Media Monkey for related artists.  For example:
If I want to enter the "people" in the beatles, I get one field to enter "john lennon paul mccartney george harrison ringo starr."  But what about pete best?  or stu sutcliffe, or billy preston?  I can't figure out how to parse the people field--I can't find anyway to enter "john lennon" and return a single result for both his solo and group efforts, right down to the quarrymen.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 04:50:50 pm »

Jgreen,
I think you missed my point.

What I mend was that standard Search (without expressions or modifiers) pnly searches some fields but not all.
The predefined set is based on the common audio tags. Clicking on Media = Images does not change that (as for example the Library browser does).

I found out (in the help file) that it is possible to search for something in the People field but you have to type for example People=****.

If I would like to have the pictures were my wife and I are in I have to type:
People= Peter and People = Sandra

I got my answer.

By the way: the option "Only show items that match other search criteria" is marked by default once 2 criteria are used!!
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

EpF

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 06:23:29 pm »

Peter- did you mean that you want files to show up if you type peter (sic) in the search bar?
I got my answer.
What was the answer?  Did you know that by default the 'people' field is not searched by terms in the search bar.  If you go to Options>Library>Edit Library Field 'People', and click the 'Default search field' box, you'll get the result (I think) you want...

I get one field to enter "john lennon paul mccartney george harrison ringo starr."  But what about pete best?  or stu sutcliffe, or billy preston?...I can't find anyway to enter "john lennon" and return a single result for both his solo and group efforts, right down to the quarrymen.
If you put a semicolon ; between the names (with no spaces between complete names), they will come up individually...

Hope that helps
 ;)

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 07:13:46 pm »

EpF--
Thank You.  That solves 90% of my gripe.  BTW--It seemed to work fine with spaces included, as long as the format is consistent.
The remaining bit is this:
How can I add an additional name later to a selection of files that may have varying sets of colon delimited fields? Ansd wouldn't any later addition overwrite the previous entry entirely? For example, what if I wanted to globally add "Brian Epstein;" to files that may have these names:
John Lennon; Paul McCartney;
John Lennon; Paul McCartner; George Harrison; Pete Best;
etc etc etc

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 07:39:21 pm »

EpF--
It's taking time, but I think I'm catching up here.  re/Your comment to peter, I went in to the library fields/edit menu.  Noticed first that "track# " is a default search field, which explains why my numerical searches were meaningless.  Is anybody out there searching by track#?  Secondly, I went to "lyrics".  Does this mean I can search inside lyrics for any particular keyword with this enabled?  What kind of performance hit would the db take if  15,000 songs each had 100  words available to search?

EpF

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 10:23:15 pm »

How can I add an additional name later to a selection of files that may have varying sets of colon delimited fields? Ansd wouldn't any later addition overwrite the previous entry entirely? For example, what if I wanted to globally add "Brian Epstein;" to files that may have these names:
John Lennon; Paul McCartney;
John Lennon; Paul McCartner; George Harrison; Pete Best;
etc etc etc
Depends on how you do it.  It won't go easy if you use the Action Window, but if you do it through a View Scheme and use the Tagging Mode, any 'People' tag you modify by clicking on the check box in the column, or add to by clicking the 'New People' check box in the column, will be appended to in the semicolon delimited list..  It's great!   I was worried too, but try it on one file at a time with the 'People' field visible in the lower pane and you'll see the new entries added to the old.

It seemed to work fine with spaces included
If you have a space before or after the semicolon, you will end up with duplicate information which you won't immediately realise is because there is actually a space in the entry...  I advise you to get that sorted from the beginning, cause it's a pain in the 455 to fix!!

Does this mean I can search inside lyrics for any particular keyword with this enabled?
That I don't know - I don't use lyrics, but try it and see...  You can always change the setting on the field back if does work but is slowing down searches too much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up