INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbee on MC  (Read 1171 times)

mhov

• Change this by choosing profile
newbee on MC
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:23:27 pm »

I've been working with the 30 day version of MC11 for a few days and recently paid for the product.  I've read thru a lot of links but have some basic questions.

1) Can you tell me if my system is capable of utilizing all or most of the features in MC11(I'm primarily interested in Audio).  Here's my system info:
Media Center Registered 11.0.250 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1094 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 327 MB, Free - 157 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1584 (xpsp2.040720-1705) / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3900.6975 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4082B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

2) One issue I continue to encounter is system crashes/hang ups.  Both MC only and full system crashes during MP3 Encodes. 

I've tried several different options settings but most still cause hangs or crashes.  I primarily interested in using MPR VBR set to High.  This is where I experience my crashes.

3) Ogg encodes run fast and no crashes, is there an explanation for this?

4) I've read a few threads regarding versions newer than what I have installed (V11.0.250).  When I use the 'Check for Updsates' function, it tells me none are available.  When I follow the threads though, I see that V11.0.266 is available.  I did download this but did not install.

Is this for future release feedback or is this what I should be running?

5) I experience slow rips and encodes (VBR Standard and High) 2.0-3.0x, is this likely a function of my equipment or likely the same unknown issues reported in the forum?

6) How do I set the file Location up such that an album saves all riped/encoded songs under a single directory. 

As in:
Dave Matthews\The Gorge\all songs on cd under this one subdirectory.

The way it is set up now, every song is getting its own folder/subdirectory under \The Gorge sub.

Thanks

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Re: newbee on MC
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 12:18:23 am »

First of all, your system appears that is capable of playing audio (as you like) smoothly and burning, and ripping too.
another thing that MC 11 is still not released and its in a beta stage.. so you may experience some problems or bugs, so if you noticed something so please post it in the forum.
Tamer

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: newbee on MC
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:47:09 am »

To answer a few of your questions:

1) As Pink mentioned, your system is plenty capable.  In general I'd think about some more memory (RAM), but you should be okay for audio.

2) General system crashes are really probably not MC's fault.  I'd first try running the newest version of MC (which is .266 at this time) and see if that happens to fix it.  When it (probably) doesn't, then you want to investigate the other software and hardware on your system.  First, make sure you are Spyware free (run both Ad-Aware and Spybot scans -- make sure they're updated) and Virus free.  Spyware can really be the cause of lots of problems.  Once you're satisfied you've got no nasties, you might want to do some hardware tests, just to rule out bad RAM or an overheating system.  Check this thread for more info.

3) Dumb luck?  We'll cross that bridge after we eliminate the problems above.

4) Because MC11 is still (for the moment) officially pre-release software, the "Check for Updates" function does not always show the latest available version.  The JRiver folks are rediculously hard working, and actually put out a new build of MC almost every weekday.  The version you see at the top of the forum list (the "sticky" one) is the most recent build.  This will change once MC version 11 is officially released (probably very soon).  Of course, then they will start working on version 12 (and releasing builds soon enough I suspect).

5) Again, check for non-MC problems first.  Once they've been eliminated, then do a search on this forum.  I don't know of any specific problems that are common (though others might).

6) Actually, when I got to this one I realized that it could be the cause of some of your slowness!  Go to Tools --> Options --> File Location.  Set base path to wherever you'd like your music saved (eg. "C:\music\") and then set:

Code: [Select]
Directory Rule:
[Artist]\[Album]

Filename Rule:
[Track #] - [Name]

That should do what you want.  The way it works is that the Directory rule creates the folders.  Replacing the stuff in the [] with the proper information.  The "\" separates it into subdirectories.

The filename rule works the same way.  Anything not in a [] is put verbatim in the filenames as is.  So, if you put:

Code: [Select]
Directory Rule:
tearduct ! - [Artist]\[Album]

Filename Rule:
[Track #] - cheesenoodle -  [Name]

And then ripped "The Gorge" you'd get your songs in a folder called:
"tearduct ! - Dave Matthew's Band" and then inside a folder called "The Gorge".

The songs themselves would be called:
1 - cheesenoodle - Pantala Naga Pampa/Rapunzel
2 - cheesenoodle - Song That Jane Likes
3 - cheesenoodle - Fool to Think
...and so on.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up