INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play complete works instead of complete albums?  (Read 1070 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
How to play complete works instead of complete albums?
« on: May 20, 2005, 12:56:15 pm »

Tagging classical music is much more challenging and time consuming than tagging pop music. One of the biggest differences, however, is that what really counts are the "works" of an artist with the sentences not necessarily the album. So the track of a title has basically two tags, the "work" (additional field" which would be "Symphony No.5 by LvB" and the titles being "1. Allegro" (or whatever).

I know how to play complete albums but I was wondering if there was a way to play complete works.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: How to play complete works instead of complete albums?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 01:52:19 pm »

I have the same issue. The way I solved is that what I define as album is a WORK (or OPUS).  Ie i do not care to tag one CD that contains Beethoven 5th and Brahms 2nd as one album, and another disk that contains Beethoven 5th together with beethoven Piano-concerto 1  as another album.

I tag Beethoven 5 as album, and then with each artist (berlin Phil, London Symphony whatever...) at the next layer. And I tag the other work contained on each disk as a separate "Album" (or better work. So the Brahms 2nd would show up togehter with other recordings of Brahms 2nd in my collection - as would the Beethoven Piano Concerto 1 do.

Again, on classic music, the album does not really make sense unless it is a live recital, which i tend to keep togehter as I can then listen to the works as they appeared in the respective concert and amintain the special atmospehere of the event.

But would I tag a collection of all Schubert Symphonies as one Album? No never. I would tag each Symphony as separate album so in my collection they get grouped correctly by opus/work.

Hope this all makes sense to you. There may be different ways doing this, but I am quite happy the way i have chosen to tag my collection.

BB   :D

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 04:24:33 pm »

I do the same as bbrip. It'd be nice if one could substitute other nomenclature for "album" (and artist for that matter) when it comes to tagging classical music.

Also, for all music,I don't keep track of CDs (disks) for multiple disk albums, I just renumber the titles of the 2nd (or 3rd...) disk to follow the first and the delete the "disc 1", "disc 2", etc.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 04:39:11 am »

modelmaker,

great minds think alike! Yes, I do the same on multiple disks albums. For example opera: If the first disk goes up to track 20, I renumber the first track of disk 2 as 21 and so on....

Keeping disk number really does not make a lot of sense for this.

B

Sherm123

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 02:55:48 pm »

I faced a simlar problem some time ago and developed the following solution.
I disregard album titles entirely.  In addition I maintain the sequence of muliple parts of a single work, i.e 4 movements of a symphony by making the first item of a tag the number of movement followed by an abreviated name of the composer and then the name of the work itself.
For example: 1 - LvB, Symp No.7, A maj, Op.92 - Poco sostenuto- vivace
                         2 - LvB, Symp No.7 A maj, Op.92 - Allegretto
                         3 - LvB, Symp No.7 A maj, Op.92 - Presto
                         4-  LvB, Symp No.7 A maj, Op.92 - Allegro con brio
I'm thereby able to maintain the right sequence within a work and identify the pertinent facts.  I then set up playlists by Composer. i.e. Beethoven Symphonies, Mozart Piano Sonatas, Bach violin Concertos, etc.
It takes  a little longer to set this up after ripping a CD but once its done I have no difficulty in finding a piece
i want to listen to

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 04:12:49 pm »

All that makes a lot of sense but I have a particular listening pattern that I would like to maintain for classical music: As I have a fairly large collection (>26k titles - I know small compared with Kind Sparta but these are all CD ripped APE files!) I like to let MC suggest what to listen to. So I would have a smartlist set with the various composers and when I click on the LvB button in NetRemote, MC will play full albums of Beethoven. Now I want it to play full works instead.

I guess the only simple solution is to do what BBrip suggestes and forget about the album name and put the opus there. But somewhat I am reluctant to doing that, I'd much rather have a "complete opus" functionality. Maybe it can work somehow? :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up