INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Justinchase -- MC11 iPod problems  (Read 1584 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Justinchase -- MC11 iPod problems
« on: May 21, 2005, 12:20:33 pm »

I am still having problems with MC giving me an error when it tries to initialize my iPod.  However, this is on a brand new Dell laptop.  I have not installed any other software on this machine yet.  I do have all of the windows updates installed.  I was having the exact same problem on my old laptop, and Jim thought it must be a machine specific problem.  I highly doubt that at this point.

I can tell you that I have NOT upgraded from a previous version on this machine (or on the other for that matter), and I know the installation was shrunk recently.  I'm assuming that some component or file was accidentally eliminated from the installer.  I would guess that an old version would have installed what I need, and upgrading wouldn't show any problem.  I don't have any idea when this might have started, but I first installed v.172? on the other machine, and installed v.174 on this one.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me to resolve this.  I'm willing to leave it alone so you can use the 'virgin' machine for diagnosis, but I do need to get my iPod synched pretty soon.  I'll be leaving town for Canada in a week or so.

I'll post system stats below in a second.

One other thing.  .asf files are still showing up as audio files when you select the audio only button up top.  This screws up the shuffle by adding videos to the mix.  I imagine it would also try to add those to the iPod if it thinks they are audio files.

Finally, some of the .asf files play just fine, and others don't play at all.  It might be because they are mis-tagged as .asf (just a guess, I don't know why that would be), but how do I find out what they really are, and get they to play again?

Here are the system stats...

Media Center 11.0.274 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 594 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
pretend this is something funny

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 01:58:37 pm »

and I know the installation was shrunk recently.  I'm assuming that some component or file was accidentally eliminated from the installer.

You know the saying about assumptions, I presume?

11.0.272 (5/19/05)

4. NEW: Reworked how builds are stored and packaged to reduce download by about 2.5 MB (without removing anything).

Also, Dell machines are anything but virgin when they come out of the box.  Until we stopped using Dell at work (because of their quality control problems) if I got in a new machine that wouldn't take our standard image for some reason it usually took me about an hour to clean off all the junk they load on their machines by default.

That being said, Dell's are certainly prevalant enough that if there does happen to be a conflict with some default software package, JRiver really does need to take care of it.  Was the other laptop you mentioned also a Dell?  If so, was it the same "type" (Inspiron or Latitude, same basic chipset, features)?  There are certainly other possibilities though ...

There could be a problem with your iPod.  It's not unheard of, and Apple has some quality control issues of their own.  Have you tried anyone else's iPod and replicated the error?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 06:58:41 pm »

No the other laptop was a Toshiba that I've used in the past without issues.  I wiped it clean to sell it, but ended up using it again briefly.

The iPod has been working fine up until this issue.  I don't have another one to test with.

Yeah, I spent about 2 hours uninstalling all the crap off the Dell machine.  I even called them first to ask if they could please not install all that stuff, but it didn't help.

I posted about this in another thread and someone else says they are having the same problem.  Hopefully it can get fixed.  If not, I'll try installing an older version and see if that helps.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 07:53:18 pm »

...I even called them first to ask if they could please not install all that stuff...

That's what I would describe as 'optimistic'.

Listening to: 'Optimistic' from 'Kid A' by 'Radiohead' on Media Center 11

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Re: Justinchase -- MC11 iPod problems
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 08:14:25 pm »

"You'll never know if you don't ask"

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 09:13:15 pm »

Listening to: 'You Never Know ::)' from 'Rachael Lampa' by 'Rachael Lampa' on Media Center 11

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:36:14 pm »

Justin,

Welcome back from the Mexican siesta.

In regards to the iPod, if you want to try to diagnose it, please post the error. If you want to move on, try deleting your iTunesDB file from your iPod via explorer and then run MC and initialize.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 04:42:15 pm »

Thanks Steve.

It's posted up in another thread here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27750.0

Thanks.

let me know if you need more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up