INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: replay gain - working?  (Read 1015 times)

shdbcamping

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
replay gain - working?
« on: October 08, 2002, 12:00:47 pm »

I used the properties version of replay gain analysis, but how do I know if it worked?

Also just wondered what y'all thought of the full blown MP3gain program. It sounds like a good idea, but am unsure what they are talking about with the before and after "clipping" stuff. I ripped my cd collection to MP3's and aside from volume differences, they all sounded fine at 192 and even 160k bitrates. When I use the default value, the program seems to lower the volumes a lot. Has anyone got a rule of thumb for how high you can set the gain?

For the MJ team: I love your product and have been with you since 6.0. I tell everyone about it. All seem very impressed. You guys ROCK!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: replay gain - working?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 02:09:50 pm »

You know it worked if you see a number in the Audio Analyzer for those files.  DSP Studio will show the number too on the "Replay Gain" page.

As for a rule of thumb, +6 dB is probably good.  You can really use whatever will bring your loudest song in Playing Now up to 0. (so, with -14, -20, -8, -12 you could use +8 before any clipping started)

(there may be automatic mode in a future version to do that for you...)

Thanks and take care.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shdbcamping

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 11:23:18 am »

thanks for the quick response, it is appreciated.

Only one other question. Is there a way to remove the replay gain tag information after i use MP3Gain.exe on my entire library? I need to alter the files so that they can have equal volume when played in my kenwood cd player (it plays MP3's) in my conversion van. It seems that the tagging method only works with the jukebox.

thanx again.
Sean

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 08:28:28 pm »

I'm not sure about remove.  I know it's in version 9.  That may not be lots of help though...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sekim

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 01:59:18 am »

I seem to recall MP3Gain actually modifies the files. However, I think there is an option in that app to remove gain analysis, or restore the file to it's original state. I have it, just haven't played with it alot.

Maybe dig around in MP3Gain and see if this possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up