INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do your thumbnails look blurred?  (Read 3145 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Do your thumbnails look blurred?
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:37:41 pm »

Since upgrading to 11.1 I've seen that my thumbnails look somehow blurred, comparing them with the actual image displayed in the Action Window -> File Properties -> Image. The same applies to the image displayed in PlayingNow plug-in (which is even worse for the same size). I think this is new with 11.1 and didn't happen with 11.0.

Are you experiencing teh same? Could it be the new "Much faster handling of thumbnail images (requires one-time rebuild of thumbnails)" feature or is that only me?

Click here for a bigger image ---> http://www.deivit.net/mediacenter/thumbnail.jpg

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Do your thumbnails look blurred?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:57:33 pm »

300x300 is asking a lot from a thumbnail.  They may be a little soft at large sizes like that.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 01:06:26 pm »

Here are the thumbnail types (default size) and the MC type asked for:

1 (64x64) - IMAGEFILE_THUMBNAIL_SMALL
2 (128x128) - IMAGEFILE_THUMBNAIL_MEDIUM
3 (256x256) - IMAGEFILE_THUMBNAIL_LARGE
4 (16x16 ... a resized 64x64) - IMAGEFILE_THUMBNAIL_SMALL

PN takes the image supplied by MC and scales it into the field you specified.   If you have given the image the right amount of space then no scaling is done.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 01:15:04 pm »

MC11.0 used 250x250 (the separate thumbnail files could be opened in an image editor). I guess the internal size is the same after the latest change. In my opinion MC 11.1 is faster and that is a bit more important. However it would be nice if MC could use the same thumbnail for all file/album/artist instances that use the same original image. Currently it seems to make a new thumbnail for each file. Though, I guess speed has something to do with this too. Has it?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 01:20:57 pm »

MC 11.1 uses slightly smaller but sharper internal thumbnails than 11.0, but this is only part of the speed increases.  A big portion of the speed changes were due to a change in the storage system.

Thumbnails are a trade-off between quality, speed, and memory.  It's a second-order thing (width * height) so the speed changes a lot as the images MC is juggling get larger.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 02:22:07 pm »

Thanks for the info, guys.

One thing is clear, the speed has increased dramatically after rebuilding the thumbnails. I'm gonna play with different sizes (300x300 is probably too much for a thumbnail, as Matt said) in order to find a fair balance between quality and speed.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:44:01 pm »

My thumbnails have always looked blurred in every version of MC, however, I'm sure it's directly proportional to the amount of bourbon which has been consumed.

ie. less bourbon = more clarity
Cheers
Rob

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 03:12:38 am »

My thumbnails have always looked blurred in every version of MC, however, I'm sure it's directly proportional to the amount of bourbon which has been consumed.

ie. less bourbon = more clarity

>The man--stout, balding, eyes blurred from too many bourbon and sodas--winked at her and sloppily divided the deck in half<
Chapter one from Odds Against,  Written by Shirley Tallman under the name Erin Ross

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 04:41:12 am »

i-spy the 'purple panel' :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up