INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.252)  (Read 5138 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.252)
« on: March 10, 2005, 12:25:08 pm »

Dell DJ plug-in v11.0.16 (MC11.0.205 thru 225 so far):

a) When building a Playlist on the DJ, drag-and-drop of tracks from the DJ's Album, Artist or Genre list assumes 'copy' instead of 'add to playlist'.  You are forced to use the right-click menu and choose 'Add to Playlist'.  Drag-and-drop would be nice too...assuming 'copy' cause problems because the tracks are already on the DJ and the Playlist is not updated (as you'd expect).

b) Disconnecting the DJ while MC11 is displaying DJ files (any node) cause MC11 to crash (sometimes).

c) Does the DJ not support 'removing' tracks from a Playlist without deleting the entire track from the DJ itself?  I can not find a way to edit a playlist and remove tracks (only add).  (this may be a DJ firmware limitation)

d) When viewing Albums node (on DJ) in MC11, the albums are not sorted in track # order...as the DJ will play them in that order.  When making playlist via MC11, this make it hard because you have to remember to always click the Track # column heading in MC11 prior to adding the tracks to a Playlist (on the DJ).

e) Upload (sync) fails if the track to be uploaded is currently playing in MC11 (build 205).  The upload stops and all tracks remaining to be uploaded are not uploaded.

f) You cannot use drag-and-drop to reorder the tracks in a playlist on the Dell DJ.  With the Dell DJ Explorer you can do this easily.

g) Download to PC option is way to slow. Using USB 2.0 connection, MC11 took 20 times longer to download (copy) 4 MP3 files from the DJ to the PC (2 mins compared to 5 secs).  Using DJ Explorer, it's fast...the same speed as copying to the DJ (from the PC).

h) Can't select an Artist name, Album name or Genre name and click/select Delete.  You are forced to use select individual tracks in the content list window.  DJ Explorer supports this.

i) the Dell DJ tree displayed in the Org Tree does not update automatically when albums, artists or genres are deleted (or added, maybe...don't remember).  Sometimes F5 will refresh the tree properly.

j) When using Download to PC, MC does not maintain the original filename that is stored on the Dell DJ.  Using DJ Explorer, the original filename is there.  MC names all downloaded files <song name>.mp3 (for example).

k) Drag-and-drop copy/move to My Computer from a Dell DJ in MC looks like it will work, but attempting to always causes MC to generate a failure error.

l) Drag-and-drop of Artists, Albums, etc. from Media Library to Handheld (like Drop Files Hear icon) does not ultimately work.  It queus to the DJ, but attempting to upload (sync) causes MC to complain and display a huge list of files are not compatible and you have to say 'Yes' skip them.  Then, they persist in cache somewhere in MC and any attempt to drag the actual files to the Handheld and sync causes the same errors over and over (even if you restart MC...cached I guess).  Draging the same objects (Artists, Albums, etc) from MC to Dell DJ Explorer and dropping works fine (they upload to the DJ immediately).

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: SteveG: Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.205)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:26:02 pm »

c) Does the DJ not support 'removing' tracks from a Playlist without deleting the entire track from the DJ itself?  I can not find a way to edit a playlist and remove tracks (only add).  (this may be a DJ firmware limitation)

Just verifed that Dell DJ Explorer (windows explorer plug-in) allows you to delete tracks from a Dell DJ Playlist without physically deleting the track from Dell DJ hard-drive...so, it's a Dell DJ Plug-in bug (and not a DJ firmware limitation).

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:36:08 pm »

e) Upload (sync) fails if the track to be uploaded is currently playing in MC11 (build 205).  The upload stops and all tracks remaining to be uploaded are not uploaded.

This happens with a .MP3 track but not with a .WMA track (playing currently).

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 11:11:08 pm »

SteveG,

I just had a thought: maybe you have not played with the Dell DJ Explorer (Windows Explorer plug-in) since Dell released Generation 2 Dell DJ or Pocket DJ players.  I never saw/used the prior version(s), but you might want to get a Gen 2 (latest version) Dell DJ or Pocket DJ player and play with the latest software (to compare to MC's support and enhance/fix MC's support).

The software can be downloaded from Dell HERE.  I do not know if it works with Gen 1 players (players sold before Nov 2004).

:)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:00:34 am »

SteveG,

Can you say if and when Dell DJ support issues will be addressed (for MC11)?

I'm really not impatient, just looking for some positive feedback and a timeframe (1 week, 1 month, unknown, never or whatever).

The DJ Explorer from Dell is usefull (does lots of things right), but I'd really like to do everything from MC and never have to use the DJ Explorer.

Thanks!

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: SteveG: Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.213)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 02:21:44 pm »

Updated bug/problem list above.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.216)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 11:57:54 am »

sbsp2,

I will look at this soon. Could you get the latest MC and retest. We do not have a Dell DJ here, but I will test with a similar device ASAP.

Steve

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 12:10:31 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the update.  I am using the latest MC (219) and all these problems and maybe more still exist (sorry I did not update this thread to reflect 219...I stay current with MC daily).  I used it alot this weekend and noticed so many problems, that I just 'stopped' using MC to do useful DJ tasks.

Oh.  No DJ?  Wow.  You should get one to test it with (only $179 for a Pocket DJ and not much more for a bigger DJ 20 or 30 (Gen2)).  I fear testing with a similiar device is not good enough and you don't get the real experience and you won't see how well Dell DJ Explorer works.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 06:28:11 am »

Any news to speak off on the progress of fixing the Dell DJ support?

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 11:06:46 am »

Not at this time.

Steve

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.225)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 03:41:16 pm »

Been a while - on the radar yet?  Tried Red Chair's "Dudebox" software - seems pretty nice, but not integrated with MC (of course).

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 03:52:30 pm »

Starting on your laundry list as you posted.....

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 05:03:41 pm »

a) This is not enabled at this time. Use the synchroniation feature to change the playlists.

b) Not replicable for me with 231. Please retest and let me know some steps that you can do to reproduce this.

c) Not at this time.  We recommend changing the playlists in MC and resynching.

d) With 231 when I view Albums, the tracks are listed in track order.  Did you send these tracks via sync?

e) Not replicable for me with 231.

f) We recommend using sync for this.

g)  I can duplicate this and will try to fix.

h) This is our design for now.

i) Becuase h is not enabled,  this seems like a non issue.

j) This was by design and at the request of users. We could enable an option for this.

k) This will not work. If you want to send files to your PC from Dell use the 'Send to PC' option which is very slow right now and will be fixed.

l) This works in 231. Remember, if you drop files that are already on the device, they will not be queued for tranfser. There is a message box that alerts you to this and if you do not see it , you must have clicked the option to not show it again. Try dropping an Artist that is not on the Dell and see if it works.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 08:01:24 pm »

a) Ok.  Can we 'enable' this?  I don't like the sync and playlist option for handhelds in MC (too cumbersome).  Generally, I don't use playlists at all in MC (for playing music).

b) Ok.  I'm not going to waste time trying to recreate (either).

c) Ok.  I'll continue to use DJ or Dudebox explorer for this.

d) Yep.  Try this: copy tracks 5~10 from an album.  then copy 1~4 from an album (separate upload).  Redisplay in MC and you'll see the order displayed is 5~10 and then 1~4.  DJ and Dudebox don't have this problem.

e) Still broke in 232.  Just play an MP3 and try to upload it (Handheld transfer).  You get upload failed with Error 132 everytime.  Has to be an MP3!!

f) Ok.  I'll continue to use DJ or Dudebox explorer for this.

g) Great.

h) Ok.  I'll continue to use DJ or Dudebox explorer for this.

i) Ok.  I'll continue to use DJ or Dudebox explorer for this.

j) Ok.  A 'Maintian original filename' option would be great.

k) Ok.  I guess I'm saying MC should not even act like you can do this if it is not supported. I'll continue to use DJ or Dudebox explorer for this.

l) Ok.  I'll not waste time trying to explain the problem. I'll continue to use DJ or Dudebox explorer for this.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 11:19:20 pm »

Could JRiver aquire a Dell DJ or Pocket DJ and experience how the MC support for the Dell DJ works?

[message edited by JimH to improve relations]

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 10:18:12 am »

e) Still broke in 252.  Just play an MP3 and try to upload it (Handheld transfer).  You get upload failed with Error 132 everytime.  Has to be an MP3!!

SteveG

Re: Dell DJ Plug-in v11.0.16 Bugs (MC11.0.252)
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 08:59:34 am »

I managed to recreate problem (e). The problem appears to be that Dell does not handle the transfer of open files very well. Try using WMP to do the same thing. When I use WMP, the file transfers but WMP is totally locked up until the file is finished playing.  MC opens files for playback so that other processes can access the file. The SDK on which we have built the Dell connectivity appears to be unable to handle this.

Error 132 is a file open error.

Steve

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 08:29:22 am »

Using MC 11.0.271 does not work at all anymore with the DELL DJ.

It sees it, can access at a very, very slow pace.  MC locks up trying to upload or access the DELL DJ.  I removed DELL DJ plug-in v11.0.22 and MC still saws the Dell DJ and was still 'in bad shape'.  I re-installed (manual download) the v11.0.22 plug-in, but same problems.  It appears MC is NOT using the DELL DJ plug-in to interface anymore.  MC routinely goes to constant 50% ~ 100% CPU useage when I try to 'see' the DELL DJ in MC now.

I didn't change any options here (that I know of).  What else can I try?  Is some WMDM settiing on somewhere that I need to turn off (perhaps)?

I used Dell DJ Explorer to move 280meg to the DJ and it worked fine (fast...USB 2.0 speed).  Oh, also, in MC, MC would list each track 4 times when high-lighting the Dell DJ node in Drives & Devices (erroneously).

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 03:39:50 pm »

sbsp2,

Thanks for the post. I see what is going on and it will be resolved in tonight's build.

Thanks,
Steve

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 07:36:06 pm »

Well...272 works for 'reading' the DELL DJ, but attempt to upload fail now.

Click on Handheld Player (in Action Window) and drag some MP3 to the Drop Files Here area and you immediately get an MC error message and an MC exit (crash) after you click Ok button:

Cannot create encoder plug-in 'MP3 Encoder'. Error 8007007E

:(

Don't know what that's about...the DELL DJ definitely supports MP3s as that all I use on it (100%).

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 08:44:41 am »

sbsp2,

272 was pulled because of a general problem that is causing the symptom you are seeing. It will be resolved shortly.

Steve

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 11:09:42 am »

Looks like MC 11.0.283 now uses the Nomad Jukebox plug-in v11.0.24 for the Dell DJ support.  Is this correct?

Previously, it looks like Dell DJ Plug-In v11.0.22 was being used.  I removed all handheld plug-ins and MC 11.0.283 still picked the Nomad Jukebox plug-in for the Dell DJ handheld.

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 05:56:48 pm »

sbsp2,

You are very perceptive and also correct. I folded the two together and they are now part of the standard MC build so nothing ever needs to be downloaded. Support is built in.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up