INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TEAC CD-W540 burner only allows 24X setting  (Read 4453 times)

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
TEAC CD-W540 burner only allows 24X setting
« on: September 26, 2002, 01:41:46 pm »

I have a TEAC CD-W540 40X burner. In the CD Burner options in MJ the highest speed that can be set is 24X. After I paid and the reg code was loaded into the program is when this started happened. Before I downloaded the reg code I could burn at 40X.

I am running late model hardware.
TEAC CD-W540
SOYO MB with on-board RAID disabled in BIOS

Software:
MJ latest release (Paid for)
Configured to use internal ASPI
Nero 5.x
XPlay
Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken.

Trapper

• Recent member
  • Sometimes "format c:" is not a dirty word.
Re: TEAC CD-W540 burner only allows 24X setting
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 06:41:41 pm »

I have the same problem!  ANyone have any ideas?

Trapper

fodder

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 11:34:21 pm »

Yup.  Reported the same problem earlier this month (never resolved) and member gitcheye reported the same symptoms on a QPS drive.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2002, 05:50:51 pm »

Yep, they use Golden Hawks list. The TEAC CD-W540 is specified in the list.
Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 06:51:37 am »

If you're familiar with viewing registry settings, please check the value of the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\D: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-104\SpeedMax

( the "D: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-104" part will be the name of your CD burner drive )
What is the value of this key on your system?

Also see if there's a key with a list of speeds called:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\SupportedSpeeds

If there is, delete it.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Trapper

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 05:15:31 pm »

On mine the end of the DWORD data is "0x00000018 (24)".  What should this value be to enable 40X burning?

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 05:24:44 pm »

40  ;D

If you double-click on the name you can set it using either decimal or hexadecimal.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Trapper

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2002, 06:14:27 pm »

Unfortunately that is not the whole fix.  The registry setting will allow a 40X burn-speed designation in MJ, but only until MJ is closed (no idea if actually works).  However, once MJ is reopened, the setting reverts to 24x.  The program must be policing this somewhere.

Help MJ staff??

fodder

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2002, 06:50:53 pm »

Bump.  Same results as Trapper.  

fodder

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2002, 06:50:56 pm »

Bump.  Same results as Trapper.  

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2002, 07:06:38 pm »

If you're familiar with viewing registry settings, please check the value of the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\D: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-104\SpeedMax

( the "D: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-104" part will be the name of your CD burner drive )
What is the value of this key on your system?

Also see if there's a key with a list of speeds called:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\SupportedSpeeds

If there is, delete it.

I'm running XP so the keys were under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.JRiver\ect

I deleted and checked MJ, still the same 24X setting available. I checked regedit the keys were still gone, so I rebooted. Started MJ the same thing, 24X. I uninstalled MJ, deleted all regkeys and directory structure I could find. Reinstalled MJ imported the ownership registration key. Started MJ and the same 24X. I then set the SupportedSpeeds and MaxSpeeds to 40. Started MJ and the setting stayed on 24X Are there other ideas? Any other information I could supply?
?

Trapper

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2002, 07:30:46 pm »

BTW, enabling the generic driver and NOT using the Internal ASPI layer WILL enable 40x burning on my TEAC 40x.  Odd, huh?  :o :-/

Trapper

johnt3

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 08:03:06 am »

Sorry about the writing speed problems. MJ just queries the drive for it's max speed so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'll try to get hold of one of the drives mentioned and do some testing on Monday.

The good news is that pretty soon we'll have our own low level burning engine and we'll have more control over these kinds of problems.

John T.
JRiver, Inc.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 04:00:34 pm »

BTW, enabling the generic driver and NOT using the Internal ASPI layer WILL enable 40x burning on my TEAC 40x.  Odd, huh?  :o :-/

Trapper

Tryed it, no dice for me. Still max is 24X. It looks like John is looking into it.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 04:04:18 pm »

Sorry about the writing speed problems. MJ just queries the drive for it's max speed so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'll try to get hold of one of the drives mentioned and do some testing on Monday.

The good news is that pretty soon we'll have our own low level burning engine and we'll have more control over these kinds of problems.

John T.
JRiver, Inc.

Any help I can offer let me know...short of loaning my PC. ;) If you need file versioning or a snap-shot of my registry, I’ll be happy to provide it.

woodyb3

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2002, 10:31:46 am »

I have this same problem with my Teac drive.

Tried the fixes presented in this thread with the same results (fix reverts back to 24x).

Hopefully the new burn engine MJ is working on will correct the problem.  :)

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2002, 11:51:56 am »

I bought the TEAC drive and sure enough, it shows 40X speed under Win2000 with MJ, but under WinXP it shows 24X. Turns out it's a Goldenhawk problem which we will try to get addressed, but it may take a while.

In any case, version 9 won't have the problem when we get the new generic burner working. I tested it and it burned 40X no problem.

Have you checked the actual throughput to see if you're getting anywhere near an actual 40X burning speed (with Nero or MJ)? That would mean an 80 minute audio disk in 2 minutes (plus the time for leadin/leadout). I don't think most systems will deliver much more than 24X actual throughput.

John T.
JRiver, Inc.

Trapper

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2002, 12:18:58 pm »

No, I haven't checked throughput.  But I will and will report back....

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2002, 02:45:25 pm »

I bought the TEAC drive and sure enough, it shows 40X speed under Win2000 with MJ, but under WinXP it shows 24X. Turns out it's a Goldenhawk problem which we will try to get addressed, but it may take a while.

In any case, version 9 won't have the problem when we get the new generic burner working. I tested it and it burned 40X no problem.

Have you checked the actual throughput to see if you're getting anywhere near an actual 40X burning speed (with Nero or MJ)? That would mean an 80 minute audio disk in 2 minutes (plus the time for leadin/leadout). I don't think most systems will deliver much more than 24X actual throughput.

John T.
JRiver, Inc.

John,

Great, knowing is half the battle. When you say a Goldenhawk issue do you mean with GH's driver set?

yosISme

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2002, 04:15:23 pm »

I'm having the same problem with my Lite-On 48x write - except it only shows a max of 4X!

I'm playing around w/ stuff to see if I can get a permanent fix.  If I come up w/ anything you'll all be the first to know...

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2002, 04:44:09 am »

When you say a Goldenhawk issue do you mean with GH's driver set?

Yes, since our "non-generic" driver is the Goldenhawk library and we use it to query the drive's max speed. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon, but I can't promise any time frame.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2002, 05:01:55 pm »

Yes, since our "non-generic" driver is the Goldenhawk library and we use it to query the drive's max speed. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon, but I can't promise any time frame.

No worries, I'm just glad to know someones working on it.

fodder

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2002, 11:38:26 am »

Glad to hear that the problem has been verified and someone is working on it.

If it doesn't get fixed in v8, what's the chance of us getting a free upgrade to v9 (assuming that v9 does in fact correct the problem)?  Just a thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up