INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - How to Broadcast FM Radio from My PC?  (Read 1397 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
OT - How to Broadcast FM Radio from My PC?
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:15:33 am »

Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but I bet someone here will know of an appropriate product...

I have one of these things (a little FM transmitter that plugs into a headphone jack) which works really well in my car for playing my Rio Volt MP3 CD Player on my Tape-Player-Less car stereo.  It will also help when I eventually take the iPod plunge (it might just be this holiday season).

However, it would be REALLY nice to have the same option with my home computer.  Unfortunately the Belkin device doesn't really have the "oomph" to broadcast throughout the house.  Does anyone know of such a device that would allow me to listen to my HTPC's output via FM radio on a boombox out in the back yard or upstairs on my Clock Radio?

I don't need it to go miles (the FCC wouldn't like that) but a few hundred feet and through a couple of walls would be nice!  I know there are probably ways to build one, and I will if needed, but it'd be nice to have a pre-built solution (with a warranty) if they're not too, too expensive.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

Re: OT - How to Broadcast FM Radio from My PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 01:26:39 pm »

I believe the broadcast range on those devices is less than 10 feet. I remember when those first came out they had to stop selling them because people in adjacent cars were recieving other peoples' broadcasts.

Radio Shack does have an A/V sender/ Reciever http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102464&cp=&kw=extender&kwCatId=2032057&parentPage=search that plugs into the line in on a reciever, but at a 100 bucks a piece is not the most economical solution for a house. Although, you can get additional recievers for around $60 each.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:52:30 pm »

Yeah.  That, unfortunately, isn't what I'm looking for (but it is what I keep finding).  That requires a special sender AND a receiver unit, and uses non-FM frequencies.  I want to be able to receive the signal on my boombox running off of batteries in my back yard or in my bedroom, so it would need to be just FM (or on a radio-only "walkman" for when I'm mowing the lawn).

They may have had to pull them a long time ago because of interferance, but not anymore.  I bought mine at Best Buy, and they still sell them there now.  Again, the interferance is more of an issue when you are a moving broadcaster.  From a fixed location, as long as you're under the FCC broadcast power limits, you should be okay (and I wouldn't want it to get anywhere NEAR those limits, just give me in-house coverage and hopefully limited back-yard coverage).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:41:51 pm »

Yeah, they were removed from the markets for a couple of months and then rereleased with lower FCC approved power levels.

Can you find an electronics techie that maybe able to modify your transmitter and boost the output? Or a HAM radio hobbyist might be able to change the broadcast frequency of one of those RS units? Any of this is probably illegal, though. ;)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up