INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 to iPod Synch- Changes sequence  (Read 1400 times)

Sherm123

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC11 to iPod Synch- Changes sequence
« on: June 08, 2005, 04:42:58 pm »

My music files consist of Classical and Jazz tracks.  For the Classical, the correct sequence of files is critical.  For example, A complete Opera might consist of 30 indivuidual files, but each must retain its proper place relative to all the others.
I don't often add or replace music on my iPod.  Today, however, I decided to replace several recordings of various works  with othersr using the MC11 to iPod synch process.  I arrange my MC 11 playlists to assure that all the various files with a specific work are in sequence and for each individual composer,
concerto number 1 is followed by number 2 and then 3 etc.  What I found after the synch was that all the files had been transferred to the iPod but for several playlists the sequence of works is different on the iPod than in the MC playlist.  In several playlists the sequence of files within single work is incorrect. I've tried a number of times to correct this but without success.  I've even initialized the iPod and reloaded all playlists but the problem remains.
I believe that I haven't synchronized the MC - iPod since installing MC11.  I never had this problem with MC 10, and wonder is there some new control in MC 11 that requires muy attention? ?

Sherm123

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC11 to iPod Synch- Changes sequence
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:55:21 am »

Since posting my question yesterday I've played a bit with my music files and find that the track number of an album is possibly one of the causes of the change in sequence of music files from MC to iPod when I synchronize.  For example,  when a single classical work is contained on multiple disks even though the playlist in my computer maintains the correct sequence of the music files, when synchcronized to the iPod, the result in the handheld is that all the track 1's are together then all the track 2's, then the 3's. etc. 
I overcame this by changing the track numbers in MC.  (i.e., if there are 12 tracks on each of 2 disks, I change the numbers of the tracks on disk 2 to 13 through 24.
However, when I create a playlist containing the works of one composer in sequence of when the work was written , this often requires the collection of multiple tracks from many albums.  For example, Haydn composed 104 symphonies.  these were ripped from as many as 25 disks, and the sequence of works on each disk does not conform to the number of the symphony. One disk may include his 90th, 46th  and 104th symphonies.  I have over 323 files in my Haydn symphony playlist.  I maintain these in sequence on the MC by symphony number.  To overcome my synchronizing problem I'll think I'll have to change the number of each music track on my computer from 1 to 323.
The simpler solution would appear to be a switch that would enable me to over-ride the the automatic track number by album synchronization to maintain the same sequence as exists in MC11.
Please let me know if my assumption regarding track numbers is correct and whether there is the possibility of providing the over-ride switch.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 02:56:38 pm »

Sherm123,

Any playlists that you sync should preserve the order of the playlist that you see in MC. If you are synching smartlists, and want a fixed order, set the sort to what you want in the smartlist and MC should preserve that when it syncs with iPod.

Steve

Sherm123

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 06:56:04 pm »

I'm not synching smartlists, just standard playlists and the order that exists in MC is not, repeat not,  being preserved in my iPod. 
It appears that the sequence is effected during synchronization by the album and track number in that album in my computer directory where the original ripped file was recorded.
Was there a change in the sychronization process in MC11 from MC10.  None of this occurred when I synched using MC10?

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 08:55:40 am »

Sherm123,

Are the playlists out of order when you go to play them on iPod, or just when you are viewing them in MC from the iPod?

Sherm123

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 12:05:15 pm »

SteveG,
I'm embarrassed!  I never actually  looked at the playlists on the iPod itself.  Each time I synched I referred to the MC view of the contents of the iPod.  I never considered that the sequence that appeared on the MC could be different from that on the iPod
Thank you for clarifying this point.  Sorry if I caused any unnecessary work on your part.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 02:05:00 pm »

No problem. Thanks for the mea culpa.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:00:14 pm »

This is the same problem I was experiencing in a previous thread. Is there a reason that the MC view of the iPod playlists is different from the order that they are actually played on the pod? It would be very handy to have the MC view identical to the play order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up