INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Initialize MC from iPod?  (Read 1766 times)

metro98k

Initialize MC from iPod?
« on: June 16, 2005, 11:21:40 pm »

So I have a problem.  I have been using iTunes with my iPod, but some other program (MMJB?) reorganized most of my music on my laptop.  So now iTunes can't find any of the files, and if I add them back, they will be new files with no ratings or playcounts, and all the playlists will be pointing to missing files.

So I am hoping that MC will be the answer!  Here's the question:

1) Can I install MC on my laptop and Download To PC (?) if I have not initialized the iPod with MC?

2) Will this copy my music from my iPod to my laptop?

3) Will it keep my *ratings*, playlists and playcounts?

4) If the answer is no to any of these, are there any other methods I can use to salvage my ratings and playcounts/-lists?  (i.e. import ratings from iPod to ephPod or MMJB and export those settings to MC, or vice versa, etc...?)

Thanks so much for any advice!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Initialize MC from iPod?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:14:54 am »

1) Can I install MC on my laptop and Download To PC (?) if I have not initialized the iPod with MC?
2) Will this copy my music from my iPod to my laptop?

Yes. But if your only goal is to get your files from your iPod to your PC, you do not necessarily need MC to do this. Having said this, there are many reasons to install MC.

3) Will it (MC) keep my *ratings*, playlists and playcounts?

4) If the answer is no to any of these, are there any other methods I can use to salvage my ratings and playcounts/-lists?  (i.e. import ratings from iPod to ephPod or MMJB and export those settings to MC, or vice versa, etc...?)

MC will not automatically keep your playlists or playcounts or ratings. There are ways to do this. Try searching for information on some tips on this. If your primary goal is to get everything back running well with iTunes and straightening out your iTunes library, MC is not a very good tool to assist in this.

Steve

metro98k

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 01:22:15 pm »

Thanks for the reply, SteveG. 

I have looked around a bunch for discussions of how to do this in MC, but there didn't seem to be one that addressed my issue directly.  Some were for Jukebox, some version 10, some for transferring ratings but with MC already set up to work with iPod, etc..., but I don't feel confident of what I am doing.  There were also many posts with "I tried what you said, but it wiped out my db on the ipod and so I had to start over..." etc....  My goal is not specifically to get the songs off the iPod (they still exist on my laptop, just rearranged so iTunes can't find them), although I have a feeling it will need to happen for me to acheive my goals.  It seems like there is no way at all to connect the ratings from the iPod to the rearranged files on my laptop, besides going through iTunes song by song, so it seems the only way would be to use the files (on the iPod) that are already associated with the ratings.

So, here are my remaining concerns:

5) Do I need to initialize my M9460LL iPod to work with MC 11?  If so, then this plan won't work since I would have to wipe the iPod.

6) Can I go ahead and install MC 11 and connect my iPod without fear that it will reset it/wipe it/otherwise make it unusable if I have to go back to iTunes?

7) Could you either let me know the steps I'd need to take to pull songs and ratings off an iPod into MC if MC has never been used before with this iPod, and there is no corresponding library structure on the PC; or could you point me to a discussion that would give me that information?

And no, I don't want to go back to iTunes, if it's possible to switch to MC - it sounds like it's way better.

Thanks!!

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 02:13:05 pm »

Do I need to initialize my M9460LL iPod to work with MC 11? 

I don't understand this.

It is recommended that you initialize your iPod but may not be necessary. If you want to be assured  that all works well, you should initialize. 

Can I go ahead and install MC 11 and connect my iPod without fear that it will reset it/wipe it/otherwise make it unusable if I have to go back to iTunes?

MC will not reset or wipe your iPod without you telling it to. In regards to making it unusable, it depends what you mean. You can always go back to iTunes with your iPod, but if you want the current library that is on it to be recognized with all the underlying tag info, this may or may not happen depending on what you are doing.

In regards to ratings, check this thread out.. specifically pank2002's post.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24150.0

metro98k

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 03:36:24 pm »

I don't understand this.

It is recommended that you initialize your iPod but may not be necessary. If you want to be assured that all works well, you should initialize.

8 ) So I may or may not be able to use my iPod with MC without initializing it, but doing so shouldn't damage the iPod or iPod's data?  Initializing it is obviously not an option for me at least initially since I'm doing all of this to try to save my ratings - once I have transferred the library from the iPod to MC (and therefore my hard drive), then I can initialize?

You can always go back to iTunes with your iPod, but if you want the current library that is on it to be recognized with all the underlying tag info, this may or may not happen depending on what you are doing.

In regards to ratings, check this thread out.. specifically pank2002's post.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24150.0

9) The referenced post contains the following:

"Assuming you have an iPod you can transfer you rating via the iPod. Just select 'sync data to MC' in handheld options."

So will just connecting in the iPod and selecting "synch data to MC"
   a) work without initializing my iPod
   b) screw up tags if I want to go back to iTunes
   c) copy my files from my iPod to my hard drive, add them and their ratings and playcounts to MC (this is all I want to be able to do)?

Thanks again

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 09:19:19 am »

So I may or may not be able to use my iPod with MC without initializing it, but doing so shouldn't damage the iPod or iPod's data?

It depends on what you mean by data. The files on iPod will not be disturbed, but when you run MC, MC will write the iPod database file.  Typically an MC written database is retrievable by iTunes  and vice versa, but you should not rely on this type of cross program compatibility.

once I have transferred the library from the iPod to MC (and therefore my hard drive), then I can initialize?

Yes.

So will just connecting in the iPod and selecting "synch data to MC"
   a) work without initializing my iPod

Maybe.

b) screw up tags if I want to go back to iTunes

This feature will not rewrite the tags of files on iPod. Whether the MC written iPod database file is fully retrievable by iTunes is an open question.

c) copy my files from my iPod to my hard drive, add them and their ratings and playcounts to MC (this is all I want to be able to do)?

Maybe.  Once you are in a mode of running from within MC exclusively, the answer is definitively yes.

In summary, I understand that you want MC to solve some of the ills brought upon you by the combination of iTunes and  MMJB. This is totally understandable. Our ability to help in this situation is potentially limited. Once you are on board with MC, the functionality you have requested will be available to you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up