INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: freak-out OT  topic  (Read 1720 times)

zevele10

freak-out OT  topic
« on: October 07, 2002, 01:00:45 pm »

I would like to know 3 things:
-What is the best browser
-What is the best loosy format
-What is the faster encoder\ripper

5-4-3-2-1.....START!!

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: freak-out OT  topic
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 01:11:11 pm »

Zev,
You opened a can of worms on this one. Are trying to overload the MJ servers?

1.) Mozilla & IE6 (tie)

2.) Ogg (MPC I've heard is slightly better but give the Vorbis guys time to tune.... then watch out)

3.) Lossy: EAC w/ Ogg (as external encoder), Lossless: EAC w/ Ape (haven't tried FLAC yet)

Xenno

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 01:28:59 pm »

xen-uno
This post is a joke.
Because of your and my answers on the Netscape7 topic

Never tried flac  as well.
There is on this forum hardcore MPC heads.The format is really good,but to much underground if you do mp3encoded cd for friends or family or if you use any Hillary software.
I still have to really use OGG.I gave a try and was really impress,but i am still confused with the settings.

Here i surf with MP3 192 kps,i like EAC 192 VBR and Opera is ,by far the faster encoder\ripper...

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 02:26:32 pm »

Zev,

Well, I expected more posts on this one other than us.

Opera as a ripper/encoder (like EAC) or as a straight encoder? Never heard of it.

FYI
For Ogg is use the following in EAC:
%s -q 8 -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" -c "comment=EAC: v1 ogg @ q8" -G "%m" -d %y -N %n

-q 8 is quality (-1 to 10)

For MP3/EAC:
--alt-preset standard --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty %y --tc "EAC: Lame 3.92 @ alt pre std" --tn %n --tg "%m" %s %d

Xenno

sekim

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 02:55:13 pm »

For MP3/EAC:
--alt-preset standard --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty %y --tc "EAC: Lame 3.92 @ alt pre std" --tn %n --tg "%m" %s %d

Xenno

Why all the hieroglyphics? Aren't the alt presets good enough as is? I'd kind of like to hear the reasoning behind the additional entries with this one.

nila

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 04:18:30 pm »

Most of you still seem to use EAC for ripping.

Is this because of the quality or speed or what?
Just curious as to why you guys use it over MJ.

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 04:23:36 pm »

According to a long topic not long ago,look like it is because of speed and more settings

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2002, 06:37:15 am »

>>Why all the hieroglyphics?

Alt pre std (which is VBR) just sets the encoding bitrate.
ID3V2 tells it to use V2 tags only and to put a 8KB "buffer" in front of the tag info. The hieroglyphics are for filling in tag info in the file. They are necessary when you use an external encoder w/ EAC. For instance -tt is CD title, -tc is Comment, -ta is Artist......

>Most of you still seem to use EAC for ripping. Is this because of the quality or speed or what?

MJ is a very good ripper but EAC is better on less than prestine disks (that includes disks that are visually perfect but have bad spots on them). It's error correcting "Secure" mode is as fast as MJ's "Large Buffer" mode (no error correction). For that reason (and a few others) I use EAC. MJ has a "Secure" mode also, but it is much slower than EAC.

Xenno

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2002, 09:37:34 pm »

EAC is faster at ripping than MJ?  Not on my machine.  I have Secure checked and I am using a new Pioneer DVD Drive.  

EAC is slower than the MJ Secure mode.  Am I doing something wrong?  I never understood the offset stuff - does that make a speed difference?

sekim

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2002, 01:06:19 am »

EAC is slower for me also. You are not doing anything wrong. Just the way different systems do things.

If MJ is working for you, why switch?

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2002, 01:09:26 am »

Why Switch?

Because the MJ ripper seems to create errors depending on what else the computer is doing (1.4 Ghz Thunderbird Athlon).  EAC seems impervious to hickups regardless of what else I do on the computer.  I wish MJ worked better because I would greatly prefer to use it.

xen-uno

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2002, 07:16:45 am »

I haven't used MJ to rip since it's default behavior was to rip...then encode. I have EAC set up that same way. That is the condition I made the "EAC is as fast" statement under.

Also you can have multiple instances of EAC open. With a fast cpu & (2) CD drives you could rip & encode off of both drives w/o too much of a speed hit on either instance. Soon I'm going to test this scenario on a dual 933MHz PIII (w/ W2k) and it's 2 drives.

Xenno
Pages: [1]   Go Up