INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I: Find Missing Files?  (Read 1539 times)

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
How do I: Find Missing Files?
« on: November 26, 2004, 02:22:32 pm »

Help:

I have thousands of files in MC11.  A few in my MC library have missing files.  I want to remove these.  So...

**How do I do a query/search that finds all the songs where teh file is not found (or missing)?!

This is critical because everytime I try to load my songs on my ipod, it crashes when it encounters a missing file!

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:How do I: Find Missing Files?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 02:37:29 pm »

Do a import, Select Fix or repair broken links,

-

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How do I: Find Missing Files?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:14:36 am »

This is fine for removing broken links, but what if i don't want to remove them?  I want to know which links are broken, so I can fix them manually by reimporting the stuff?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 12:05:04 pm »

Search:

[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 03:51:16 pm »

Alex

Great tip!  I'm in your debt.  One more question:

Some of my songs restored from my ipod were given different album names/and the album name was changed in the actual file name (ipod renames every file to a number, so when you restore it renames them back, but for blank album names it put them in a folder named "no album info" (where in MC the album is blank, and MC is looking for them in a folder named "unknown album") and it made the album in the file name "no album info" e.g. "David Bowie - No album info - 01 - Ziggy Stardust.mp3" (where in MC there are "David Bowie - Unknown album - 01 - Ziggy Stardust.mp3"

So... my question(s) are:
1. Any suggestions on how to reconnect these files to the listings in MC
2. Is there a way in MC to say, these are now locatd in this new folder with this new name (easily since were talking about 1000 files with this problem!)
3. Is there a program outside of MC to do find and replaces for folder names and file names (perhaps I could just change the names of the actual files)

Thanks,l

Bob

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 06:53:48 pm »

Some of my songs restored from my ipod were given different album names/and the album name was changed in the actual file name (ipod renames every file to a number, so when you restore it renames them back, but for blank album names it put them in a folder named "no album info" (where in MC the album is blank, and MC is looking for them in a folder named "unknown album") and it made the album in the file name "no album info" e.g. "David Bowie - No album info - 01 - Ziggy Stardust.mp3" (where in MC there are "David Bowie - Unknown album - 01 - Ziggy Stardust.mp3"

So... my question(s) are:
1. Any suggestions on how to reconnect these files to the listings in MC

2. Is there a way in MC to say, these are now locatd in this new folder with this new name (easily since were talking about 1000 files with this problem!)

3. Is there a program outside of MC to do find and replaces for folder names and file names (perhaps I could just change the names of the actual files)

Thanks,l

Bob

MC doesn't have a tool for pointing old library entries to new different files. It has been discussed here from time to time. That kind of tool would be nice. It would also be very difficult to program and debug.

You can always start a new temporary library for preparing the recovered files first. Use the library tools "Rename Files From Properties" and "Find and Replace" for restoring the filenames and paths.

I have sometimes first changed the old filenames using plain [Track #] as the only rule. I have placed similarly named new files in the folders and returned the old complex names from the library data afterwards.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 12:03:44 am »

Thanks for everything.  I'm making it through quite well now - just doing things manually, importing and doing playlists and find and replaces.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up