INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export a View Scheme?  (Read 766 times)

Tim Harvey

• Recent member
Export a View Scheme?
« on: July 05, 2005, 01:43:37 am »

Is there any way to 'save as' or otherwise export a view scheme?  Setting up view schemes can be a little complicated and I would love to be able to set some up for some friends that I'm trying to turn on to MC and just have them 'import' them.  An ideal situation would be if I could export them as a file that can simply be launched by MC such as a mjr file.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Export a View Scheme?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:10:57 pm »

Yes and no. 

Wouldn't it be nice to just "Save" the View Scheme to a file and be done with it?  Unfortunately, this is where the "No" lies.  Maybe version 12... It's been asked for once or twice before.

There is a roundabout way to "share" them with people who you want to help out with MC though...  The View Schemes are all saved within your "library" (the data files where MC saves your database info).  If you transfer the library to the other computer (again, not the actual media files, the database files) and then set up MC to use it (File --> Library --> Library Manager) then it will create all the View Schemes (and Playlists and everything) on the other computer.

Of course, all the files will be missing, but you can just Select All and delete them out of the database.

I use an automated version of method to keep my two machines' libraries in sync (so that I can tag my files on both machines, which isn't possible using the library server currently).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Tim Harvey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:41:49 am »

So essentially, I could create an 'empty' library with the view schemes I want to provide them and have them start out with that library.  There isn't an easy way to copy view schemes from one library to another is there?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 01:05:25 pm »

No, unfortunately.  My method works best if you can completely replace the other machine's database (eg. it's brand new and doesn't have any schemes of it's own).  If you want to combine two libraries, its more difficult.  I'd probably load the empty database to the machine, then switch back and forth and copy/paste the search strings.  You'd have to recreate all the other stuff though (sorting, tree, etc)...

See guys?  That's why it'd be good to be able to Save them to files in version 12...   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up