INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Native Near-Line Backup?  (Read 690 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Native Near-Line Backup?
« on: July 10, 2005, 03:03:28 pm »

I have my track library located on my main disk array.  It and the other individual disks are all direct-attached to my workastation.  My primary backup for the contiguous library is split among 3 individual disks, a JBOD, essentially.  I do the backup by physically coplying folders over to the backup drives.  I have offline backups, and the CD's also.  My question:

1.  Is there a way within MC to designate a backup location for individual tracks or groups of tracks?

2.  If so, can MC be set to look first in the library location, and failing that, the backup location?  This so that associated track info (replay gain, play numbers, etc) is retained?

There are times when I need room on my disk array, and need it quick.  In a perfect  world I could delete off a few thousand songs and not worry about getting them back just as quick.

NOTE TO JimH:  I am not an Australian, I am a flag-wavin' American.  However, I have great esteem for the Aussies, and if I am reincarnated I would like to come back either as a goat or an Australian, or both.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Native Near-Line Backup?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 06:23:29 pm »

Okay.  Let's say that this backup / restore thing starts with my  using "right click / library tools / copy disk file . .."  But I want to select a destination root directory and have MC paste according to file properties (Artist / Album / Artist - Name).  There doesn't seem to be a method for setting up new directories that avoids the weak link of human intervention somewhere along the line.  If I was MOVING the files, I would use "rename files from properties, and be done.  Anything like this for copying?
Pages: [1]   Go Up