INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist question  (Read 1199 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
Smartlist question
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:54:51 am »

I'd like to do the following for example: Files imported into the library in the last 15 days with the genre containing the word 'electro' (so this could be electro, electronic, electro jazz, etc). And generally, I'd like non technical and easy to follow documentation on the Smartlist facility. Is that available anywhere?

Even if I select the Recently Imported preset smartlist, I get blank although I've ripped and imported hundreds of tracks this week into where my music folder is.

I find the Smartlist feature in iTunes logical and easy to follow. Is there a way to set up MC11 to be like that?

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smartlist woes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 02:02:59 pm »

Try this...

Press "F9"...in the pop-up window press the "Advance" button...In the "Smartlist Rule" box copy and paste this...

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Date Imported]=<=21600 [Genre]="electro" ~n=20 ~sort=[Random]

[Media Type]=[Audio] ---> only audio files will be in the playlist
[Date Imported]=<=21600 ---> only songs thats been imported in the last 15 days (1=1 minute, 60=1 hour, 1440=1 day)
[Genre]="electro" ---> only genres that contain "electro" in the field
~n=20 ---> limits the playlist to 20 songs
~sort=[Random] ---> sorts the songs in a random order

Hope this helps  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »

And even if I select the Recently Imported preset smartlist, I get blank although I've ripped and imported hundreds of tracks this week into where my music folder is.

The "Recently Imported" Playlist clears when you shut down MC.  This is an option that you can turn off though... Go to:

Tools --> Options --> General --> Advanced.  Uncheck "Clear 'Recently Imported' playlist on exit".

I agree that it would be very helpful if someone wrote a "primer" on the Search capabilities of MC.  I'm a fairly advanced user of MC, but I know there are functions I could use in View Schemes and Smartlists that I'm not aware exist because there is no easy, unified place to look for documentation (and this is proven again and again on the "how can I make this Smartlist" threads that pop up here from time to time).  Unfortunately, I don't know the Search mechanism quite well enough to write the primer myself...

Also, I think the search string min221bbs gave isn't quite what you want because [Genre]="electro" won't match "electronic" or "electro jazz" but only "electro" (if I understand it correctly).  I'm pretty sure there is a way to do "contains" instead of "equals" but I don't know how...

And that's why a primer would help.  ;D   There is this thread from the amazing StiX, but that goes way over most user's heads, and certainly isn't exhaustive.  There is also this page in the Developer's Zone (though actually there isn't a way to get to that page from the Dev Zone "home" page, you have to know the link), but again, that's pretty high-end stuff.  I think it would be helpful to have a primer that includes the high end stuff, but only after explaining the more "normal" search options in a clear and easy-to-understand way.  Using the existing documents and jumping right into database expressions is a bit like trying to learn PERL by looking at example code with no explanations ... Not real likely for us mere mortals.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 03:01:50 pm »

Marko - When you get somewhere useful with it, I'm happy to help polish up the language and help with screenies and whatnot if you need it.  Let me know...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up