INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO interrupted by other system sounds  (Read 2022 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen
ASIO interrupted by other system sounds
« on: June 20, 2005, 03:44:51 pm »

I am using MC11 with ASIO via a Chaintech AV710 card and ASIO4ALL.  Works great, except that other system sounds will often cause the ASIO stream to go mute.  MC11 keeps playing but no sound.  If I pause and resume playback the sound comes back.  I though ASIO would lock out other sounds from having access to the sound card and prevent this.

Anyone with any suggestions?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Center Registered 11.0.280 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2790 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 340 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1643 (xpsp2.050311-1242) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3520A    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Jakester

• World Citizen
Re: ASIO interrupted by other system sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:04:15 pm »

That would be a great, simple fix.  I'll try that.

What about other apps such as Winamp and WMP?  Sometimes I want to watch videos with no audio while MC11 keeps dishing up the tunes.  Any ideas on how to shut these other apps up?

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 04:25:10 pm »

That would be a great, simple fix.  I'll try that.

What about other apps such as Winamp and WMP?  Sometimes I want to watch videos with no audio while MC11 keeps dishing up the tunes.  Any ideas on how to shut these other apps up?

One solution: buy a $15 sound card just for system sounds, or use your built-in sound, and then mix'em.

-Doug

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 10:57:36 am »

I'll see if I can make that work - use built-in sound for system sounds and other apps and my Chaintech just for MC - thanks ...

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:54:30 am »

Get another soundcard, either via PCI or USB.  I've got several USB devices on my MC11 machine and they work great.  Don't know about how well ASIO would work on them as I don't use it.   Setup the System to use one soundcard and set MC11 to use the other(s).  This way any other app that isn't configured to use a particular card shouldn't interfere with the one MC11 is setup to use.  Some apps are smart enough to allow configuring themselves to use a particular sound card.  But if they're not then at least they won't step on MC11's output.

mauka

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 01:26:46 pm »

I have basicly the same problem with my Chaintech. I don't think its system sounds though. I have an M-Audio Revo I use for my Defalt soundcard & Theater Tek Movies. I use the Chaintech for Media Payer only and I loose sound after every song. I think I might have cured it by messing with Media Player settings. I will check it out when i get home and let you know.

mauka

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 07:26:09 pm »

I'm still having the same problem anyone else got an answer for this?

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 11:44:00 am »

mauka -

I replied to your email - did you get it? - any luck?
Pages: [1]   Go Up