INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum  (Read 77337 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum
« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2006, 09:11:18 am »

It would be cool to have some kind of wizard for smartlists. It could be formatted in rows of drop down boxes which contain field or expression ideas, followed by a drop down "and/or/but not" drop down, to show how the rules should relate. Think about Photoshop and it's batch processing/ file saving wizards.

Also, how about an options box for the defualt smartlists like "recently imported" so that we can set how long, and what kind of files stay in the smartlist. (ie: stay in the list for maximum of 3 months, or n number of plays. when i delete one file, delete the rest of the album from the list too. exclude video files. etc.)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2006, 12:52:07 am »

How about the name of the tile that shows up in the files at bottom menu '(tile name) files', is a link to pane browsing for those files?  This provide even further integration to the great pane system and allows for a full screen view which currently is a limitation of the files at bottom.

If you are in the pane mode to start with where it says 'click here to reset selection',  it should instead say 'reset selection or tile selection' with the appropriate link for either destination (i.e. go to tile view). 

The integration would be really nice to go back and forth and makes sense browsing wise.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

outofspace

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2006, 05:00:12 am »

i would like to see new 5.1 sound support in MC, new DSP.
In this stage of progress it's little bit to old.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2006, 08:17:22 pm »

I know I am probebly going to get flamed for this.. But here is a suggestion none the less.

I have used the Microsoft Media Center on a friends computer and love it.. So why not make the theatre mode a similar or a copy of it.

I would love to be able to put that type of thing on my computer.. and with all the plug ins that there is on here. It is alot better.

Just would love the look and feel of the Windows Media Center.

I'm not going to "flame" you  ;D .... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33041.0
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

AussieBill

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Aussies do it upside down
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2006, 10:51:15 pm »

I would like add yet another vote to sexing up the theater view.

With Meedio now gone (Yahoo bought 'em out and replaced it with some piece of crap) there is a real opportunity here for JRiver to capitalize on this and create a UI/skinning framework for theater mode. 

I LOVE MC and will continue to support it as it THE BEST THERE IS when it comes to organization and especially tagging of audio files.  BUT seriously Jim and Co....over the years many people have asked for a more configurable and state-of-the-art theater mode, especially for us who wish to manage the content on a desktop pc BUT USE the content on a HTPC-based system.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider this seriously.

You have the best database.
You have the best server.
You have the best management client tool.

PLEASE finish this masterpiece off with a flexible framework ala Meedio etc that the creative types can run rampant on and create some awesome graphical UIs. A jukebox theme would be the ultimate.

JONCAT

« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2006, 05:24:21 pm »

Smart playlists that can track tag, file, and location changes.

much needed.

DC

mobyfrag

• World Citizen
« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2006, 04:13:50 am »

Could you add to the contextual menu of each playlist the link (~ an option) "Edit this Playlist"? PLEASE
That will increase much the software ergonomics.   ;)

i.e. / example :

Thanks,
mobyF

JONCAT

« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »

What about  Drag & Drop Tag Mode that allows the user to drag data from one field to another. Move/Copy field can only do so much especially when trying to fill fields like Album Artist (auto) with new data i.e. a different name. Find & Replace does this but then you have to select the files, open it, set it up, etc. or you can simply copy & paste, but I think this would be interesting as a special mode (toggle on or off) for cleaning up tags quickly.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2006, 02:21:36 pm »

What about  Drag & Drop Tag Mode that allows the user to drag data from one field to another. Move/Copy field can only do so much especially when trying to fill fields like Album Artist (auto) with new data i.e. a different name. Find & Replace does this but then you have to select the files, open it, set it up, etc. or you can simply copy & paste, but I think this would be interesting as a special mode (toggle on or off) for cleaning up tags quickly.

You can... sort of.

You can drag media files from the right-hand pane (either details view or tiles or thumbs or whatever) and drop them onto "child" items in the tree (if you have Populate Tree turned on in the View Scheme settings) and it will fill the appropriate properties.  I use this all the time.... For example, say I just downloaded (legally of course) a new track by the band Neutral Milk Hotel called "King of Carrot Flowers, Part 1".  Of course, it doesn't have any of the right tag data assigned though, so I need to add it.  If I already have some Neutral Milk Hotel songs tagged, I can just expand my handy Genre/Artist/Album View Scheme in the tree, and drop the file onto the icon for the proper Album.  This will automagically assign:

Genre = Indie Rock
Artist = Neutral Milk Hotel
Album = In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

I use this feature all the time when tagging.  You can even drag-drop one node of the tree onto another, which will apply the changes to all of the items "contained" within the dropped node.  For example, if you have a pile of songs you accidentally tagged "Greatful Dead" instead of "Grateful Dead", you can just drag-drop the Greatful Dead Artist Node from some place on the tree and drop it onto one that is spelled correctly, and it will fix them all.

Either way, if you try this I bet it might solve a bunch of your problems.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2006, 05:22:06 pm »

Interesting, so I could make a special view scheme, populate it and then drag files (pre-rip) onto a node on the tree and it will tag that file with the fields assigned to that view scheme?

I am trying to setup some new fields, Style (just subgenre), Burned to CD, Backed Up, & Artist Album (custom). So if I use these fields in a scheme along with Album Artist (auto) I can find the artist and just drag the files that I have ripped or am about to rip on that node? Sounds interesting, thanks.

btw, do you know if there is a field that is the "true" import date or first import date. I re-populated my library and it was useful for backup purposes to have a valid import date.

thanks
DC

JONCAT

« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2006, 05:32:42 pm »

I see that I probably want to limit this tagging scheme to general items, or does MC just tag with tags from the node that are all the same? If some Dead albums are tagged with same genre but different subgenres and I drag the files onto one genre/subgenre that's cool, but my Burned CD & Backed Up tags are going to vary within that genre/subgenre. I guess this is sort of obvious...just thinking out loud I guess. Very useful tool, thanks Glynor.

EDIT - I see you can keep expanding the tree and it corresponds to the fields you've added...VERY interesting, especially considering this is the first time I have used the tree usefully!

Another btw - can we tag images to CDs files prior to rip? I am going to try it now.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2006, 08:43:27 am »

Another btw - can we tag images to CDs files prior to rip? I am going to try it now.

I'm at work now and somewhat busy so I can't address all of your questions (yet), but...

You certainly can.  However, that will cause the CDA files (the actual pre-rip files that are on the CD disc) to be added to your library database.  This isn't a problem, as long as you understand that they will then show up under the Audio View Scheme.

I use this feature a lot to "pre-tag" my files before ripping them, so I have lots of extraneous CDA files in my library.  It's easy to add a search filter to Step 4 of Audio's Edit View Scheme dialog that excludes these CDA files so they don't clutter up your view (which is what I've done).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #262 on: June 30, 2006, 11:09:46 am »

I see that I probably want to limit this tagging scheme to general items, or does MC just tag with tags from the node that are all the same? If some Dead albums are tagged with same genre but different subgenres and I drag the files onto one genre/subgenre that's cool, but my Burned CD & Backed Up tags are going to vary within that genre/subgenre. I guess this is sort of obvious...just thinking out loud I guess. Very useful tool, thanks Glynor.

I think I get what you're asking, and I think if you play with it a bit (maybe on some "test" files) you'll see how it works.  But, to give an example...  Say I have a bunch of Grateful Dead songs from the Album "American Beauty" (but that aren't tagged at all).  Also, assume that I've decided that all Grateful Dead songs should fall under the Genre "Psychedelic Rock", but they might all fall under different SubGenres depending on the "feel" of the individual song (that's not how I do it, but work with me here).

Ok, now assume I have two View Schemes.  One is Genre/Artist/Album/Subgenre and the other is Genre/Subgenre (both with Populate Tree chosen of course).  Now, say I want to tag all my new American Beauty files with these fields (but only these):

Genre = Psychedelic Rock
Artist = Grateful Dead
Album = American Beauty

If I already have tagged at least one file sometime previously which matches ALL of those fields, then when I expand the nodes in the tree under Genre/Artist/Album/Subgenre the album will show up.

This could happen if somehow you already had part of the album, but just finished getting the rest of it (or maybe more likely if a few of the files got corrupted and you re-ripped just those few songs -- the rest of them are still there).  To apply those tags, you could just drag-drop the new files and drop them onto the "American Beauty" item in the tree and, wha-pow, all of the "parent" tags get applied.  However, since you had not expanded that last selection in the tree (Subgenre) and dropped the new files there, the Subgenre field for the new files is left alone (meaning, if it's currently blank then it stays blank, and if there is something there it stays there).

Now, it's probably more likely that you just ripped an entire new album that you never had before, say "Dick's Picks Volume 20" (which incidentally was the show from the day I was born -- fairly cool that I'm a Dick's Picks).  In that case, when you expand the tree in the example above, there will be no "Dick's Picks Volume 20" icon to drop the files on.  That's okay though, just drop them on "Grateful Dead" in the above tree and it will still assign the Genre and Artist tags (and leave the rest alone).  Then you can manually add the Album tag using the Tag Editor.

Now, to assign the Subgenre it's a little tricky (not really, but you have to understand what is happening).  Say you have the Genre/Artist/Album/Subgenre Scheme fully expanded.  Some of the songs (the ones already there) are assigned to a few different Subgenres (like in the picture below).

You do not want to drop your new "Dick's Picks Volume 20" files onto "Jams" in the above example, because that would reassign the Album tag to "American Beauty" (it would correctly set the Subgenre to Jams, and the Artist to Greatful Dead, and the Genre to Psychedelic Rock though).  Instead, you'd want to use your separate Genre/Subgenre View Scheme and expand just "Psychedelic Rock" and then "Jams" and drop it there.  Then it'll assign the Genre and Subgenre but leave the Artist and Album alone.

If you structure your View Schemes intelligently, you can use this method to greatly speed the tagging of large batches of files AND use the system to ensure your tags all stay consistent.  For example, I have a set "list" of Genres that I use.  Sometimes though, files come "pre-tagged" with stuff that doesn't match my Scheme (maybe Rock'n'Roll in the Genre field).  If populate tree is turned on, you can quickly and easily see this "bad" genre and just grab all the offending files (just grab the Rock'n'Roll item in the tree) and drop it onto the Genre that it should be (maybe just plain vanilla "Rock" if that's what you like to use).

As another example, I can see in my screenshot above that I have some files tagged with "The Dead with Warren Haynes".  It shouldn't be this way, and those should be filed under just plain vanilla "Dead, the" (and Warren's involvement would be noted in a different field).  I can easily just right click on "The Dead with Warren Haynes" and rename it to "Dead, the" and it will change the Artist field for all of the songs "contained" in there.  I could also drag-drop it if there already was one listed there (which it isn't because this is my work computer and I only have a small sub-set of my total music library here at work -- 6000 files or so).

PS.  If an admin sees this, you may want to split these past few "tree tagging methods" posts off into their own thread.  I can't do it myself.   ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #263 on: June 30, 2006, 11:32:14 am »

One warning though... With this power to quickly and painlessly re-assign the tags of many files at once comes some danger.  I strongly recommend that you do not check the "Don't show this message again" box in the Are You SureTM dialog that appears when you drop files onto a tree's node.  This will save you from accidentally drag-dropping files from one tree in the node to another when you don't mean to.

It was very nice that Matt added that reminder, and has saved me lots of frustration (I usually hate those nag windows, but this one is useful).

Another note is that dropping files onto an "Unassigned" node in the tree does work correctly and clears the tag to blank (rather than adding the text "Unassigned" to the tag as you may have feared).  Dropping files onto the "All (#)" item however, will assign them with the text "All (19)" (for example) in the relevant field, so don't do that (even if the item you're dropping onto is a "child" of an "All" item)!

JONCAT

« Reply #264 on: June 30, 2006, 11:40:55 am »

I like the genre correction capability, too often genres will not much your personalized ones as well as sub genres. Thanks for the rundown, I am digging this tool. I am ripping my Dead, Dylan, & The Band now; hope you made some quality YADB submissions!  ;)

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #265 on: June 30, 2006, 01:18:40 pm »

Like "Artist Info" button for the toolbar that links you right to AllMusic.com we could use an "Album Info" button; AllMusic has album reviews as well.

Also, allowing whatever tile or file is selected to be the one looked up would allow for uninterrupted playback.

thanks
Dr. C

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2006, 08:35:27 am »

I would like the ablility to use internal volume with Video files. I have asked for this before, and I was told it might be done in a later version. Please do!

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2006, 10:08:45 am »

My 2 Cents worth:  :-\

Enhanced TIVO features and Video Editing. In my situation, I do two things with video files: Somewhat temporary storage in .mpeg format for streaming to media player in bedroom (only have 200GB of storage space, so permanent storage is not yet feasible), and transfer to my smartphone for watching shows on the train ride to work. Instead of using 4 different programs to accomplish the same, heres what I would LOVE to see (some of these perhaps incorporated into the TIVO server plugin?):

1. Automatic scheduled transfer of files from TIVO to PC.
2. Ability to access "Now Playing" on TIVO and immediately transfer selected files. Similar to TIVO desktop.
3. Ability to setup individual rules for each transfer group, to allow specific file locations for each transfer or transfer group, instead of just 1 generic location where everything gets thrown together. This could apply for both pre-edited and post-edited files.
4. Ad removal. Or, at least a 30 sec skip feature in editing mode.
5. Ability to set audio and video bitrates, FPS, and resolution for transferred files. This would apply not only to TIVO files, but to .avi, mpeg and wmv files as well.
6. Automatic tagging (or at least the option for doing so) that would pick up the name of the show and add to artist name field (or perhaps a new field, titled "show name" or something along those lines). Right now, I have to manually add the artist name on every show imported.
8. File copying and/or archive function.
9. Automatic file deletion option: here is an option I think would be intriguing and useful for folks like me who dont have 20 tb of disc storage, and who are either streaming their shows on the home network, or, transferring to handheld: the OPTION of automatically deleting files that have reached a certain age, or other pre-set rule(s), to free up disc space for newer shows.  Especially the palm smartphone files, I dont really need to keep those once I have watched them, but want to have a ready supply to transfer for the next work week. 

thats all (for now).

maruf_65

• Recent member
  • its all coming back to me
« Reply #268 on: July 04, 2006, 09:02:57 am »

well I've wrote in a previous post (very old i guess) that what i want in MC12. I cant recall them all but some of them are like

1. I've used Helium 2006. I like many features of this software. I want those features in MC12.

2. Another thing is song preview option. It should be modified, i mean if i can customize the duration of preview. 1/4 or 2/4 or 4/4 part of a song may be previewed (sorry for my bad english)

3.And of Course the rating system. its pity that various player has various rating system i may recall Musicmatch, Winamp, iTunes, Media Player, MC all of them has different rating system. this thing should be changer. there should be a unique rating system so that i dont have to rate every time in various player

ferent

• Galactic Citizen
  • Go to Linux
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2006, 07:47:53 am »

I would like to see MC with cover CD, like this:

opinions?
Go to linux

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2006, 08:55:51 pm »

• Play/Organize ripped DVDs easily. I'd love to be manage/play all my movies from inside MC.
  • Cache tracks the have been encoded on the fly for my iPod
  • Remote ripping - I'd like to have 4 machines hooked up to one MediaCenter library server, and have those machines rip CDs to that server.  i.e. copy them up there and add the files to that library.

beloha

• Recent member
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2006, 05:58:19 pm »

hi
just a little thing (but a big work i know) for MC12 :
TV STREAMING , it will be cool if i can see my TV across my network.
thanks

peace
waiting for MC12...

jimbolla

• Recent member
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2006, 08:02:16 pm »

Not exactly a feature of the software itself, but I would like some transparency by the development team about what they are currently working on and a *rough* timeframe for deployment of the next version. A blog (with RSS of course) would work nicely; and they are all the rage these days.

One feature I'd like to see is related to synchronizing with devices/folders and using the conversion feature. Currently if you convert from one format to another as part of the sync (for me FLAC -> mp3) it maxes out my CPU making the computer useless for other tasks. A "auto-synchronize when idle" option per device would be sweet.

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2006, 01:05:53 am »

hi
just a little thing (but a big work i know) for MC12 :
TV STREAMING , it will be cool if i can see my TV across my network.
thanks

try SageTV...

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2006, 03:58:15 am »

I have a suggestion about the use of the tree in MC12.
I know it's had some work done to it already, and I'm not sure how it works now, but I would like to suggest that the current drop down menu in tiles view (to view "genre" or "artist" etc.) be integrated into the tree.

When you click on an audio viewscheme it could auto expand to show the contents of the current drop down menu (including the option to view in panes mode).

Plus: You always see everything you need to be able to see to be able to navigate. (Nothing hidden in menus)

Minus: Conflicts with the current "populate tree" feature of the tree.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up