INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converting bit depth from 16 to 24 bits  (Read 2038 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
converting bit depth from 16 to 24 bits
« on: December 21, 2005, 08:24:05 am »

hi

i have my music collection stored as ape files, but i am in the process of converting them to FLAC.  At the moment I am not sure whether to use MC or foobar for this process.  One factor is that in foobar there is an option to convert bit depth from 16 bits to 24 bits during conversion.  As i have a 24 bit soundcard i thought that this would be a good thing to do.  My preference though is to use MC for the conversion, as tagging is easier (i have to use Masstagger in foobar to get the tags right), but there doesn't seem to be a similar option to convert bit depth.

so my questions are:

(i) is it worth converting the bit depth?
(ii) can i do this using MC?
(iii) if the answer to question (i) is yes and (ii) is no, is there a simple way of doing this using some other software?

thanks

nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: converting bit depth from 16 to 24 bits
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 08:48:16 am »

(i) no
(ii) no
(iii) it wasn't   ;)

You really don't want to alter your original lossless files, believe me. The files would not be lossless after that. You may want to use 24-bit output in MC whenever you have enabled any kind of DSP processing: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30843.msg212330#msg212330.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
Re: converting bit depth from 16 to 24 bits
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:22:33 am »

thanks alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up