INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some replaygain questions...  (Read 1362 times)

trott

• World Citizen
some replaygain questions...
« on: August 01, 2005, 12:59:48 pm »

Can anyone get me an answer as to how media center handles replaygain? Specifically, I need to know whether it's stored in the database only or also in file tags (I suppose it's db only as I can't find the tags).
Most important, how can I remove all replaygain information for certain files? (I have a lot of files which are mp3gain'ed and as such give incorrect audio analysis values. I removed the mp3gain tags but now, obviously, all my replaygain info is off.)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: some replaygain questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 02:36:06 pm »

MC replayGain is stored in the MC database, not the files themselves.

I haven't played with the Album ReplayGain yet, but that might work better for those you are having trouble with.

The other option might be to use mp3gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php). However, this method does change the mp3 file, but an undo file is stored in the tag, so the changes can be undone.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 02:37:28 pm »

It's stored in the files, and in the database.

It's only the value that is stored 'fileside', the audio itself is not altered.

If you know which files you want to fix, get them all in a list and select them all.

In the action window, open "file properties > tag info" then scroll down to the "audio" section, where you will see the replay gain field. It will be showing <varies>, click on that, and a "clear" button will appear on the right. Click that to erm, clear :)

If you have update tags turned on, this should also clear the tag in the file, but if you would like to make assurance doubly sure, keep the selection, right-click in the file list, choose library tools > update tags from library.

-marko.

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 04:30:07 pm »

MC replayGain is stored in the MC database, not the files themselves.
what I meant to say:
Posted by: marko 
It's stored in the files, and in the database. It's only the value that is stored 'fileside', the audio itself is not altered
Sorry, Jay.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 04:53:32 pm »

One thing I noticed though was that MC's Replay Gain isn't supported in any other player...or WMP10 that is. Burning songs with Nero doesn't work MC's RG neither...So I went back to MP3Gain and scrapped all MC Replay gain info... I want my files to be compatible with more than MC :/

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 01:23:36 am »

In the action window, open "file properties > tag info" then scroll down to the "audio"

This was what I was looking for, thanks...the key was showing them in 'tag info' by choosing 'columns to show -> show all columns'.

The other option might be to use mp3gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php). However, this method does change the mp3 file, but an undo file is stored in the tag, so the changes can be undone.

Theoretically, and if nothing goes wrong...Until recently I thought: better to do it with mp3gain since it will be compatible with anything...However,  because of certain incompatibilities I encountered between mp3gain's tags and foobar's tags I recently decided to undo all that mp3gain stuff, and found that while for most files there is no problem there were a few files which could not be undone and even two which are now corrupt. (two that I know of, obviously it might be more). I have to say that the percentage of files with problems is quite low: 3 out of 411 yesterday evening. (no figures for the other attempt I made)
Also, you would think that since mp3gain changes the gain value for every frame, after mp3gaining a track and then analyzing it in MC, MC would find no (or almost no) changes to make...wrong!
The experience has made me change my views on the matter: no tool except the encoder should ever change a value over the entire bitstream...

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 03:08:47 am »

This was what I was looking for, thanks...the key was showing them in 'tag info' by choosing 'columns to show -> show all columns'.

Also, you would think that since mp3gain changes the gain value for every frame, after mp3gaining a track and then analyzing it in MC, MC would find no (or almost no) changes to make...wrong!

If you disable the mp3Gain tags you will have compatibility over any MP3 player.
The tags it uses are APE tags, which by definition are not compatible/standard.

The reason that the MC gain system still has changes to make are because the two make different assumptions/calculations. Makes no difference in lpayback via MC whether you have mp3gain'd or not the sound will be the same.

It is in taking the files to other players where you get the benefit of using mp3Gain first.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 10:26:22 am »

If MC's Replay Gain is used, the files must be (re-)analyzed in MC after applying MP3Gain because MP3Gain changes the volume values inside the MP3 files. MC's Replay Gain can be used normally after the files are analyzed in MC. For example, together with any other, non-MP3gained, but analyzed files.

MC sees and uses the MP3Gain altered volume like any other MP3 decoder. It does not use the MP3Gain values written in APE V.2 tags anyhow. Also, It doesn't alter them. So those values can be used with other applications.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up