INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Cover-Art in MC 11  (Read 1325 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Tagging Cover-Art in MC 11
« on: August 06, 2005, 05:03:39 am »

I ntoice when looking at albums in MC 11, all the non-media files have a date in the Album tag ??

What is the recommended way to deal with this.. In MC 10 the Albums fields were blank.

Do i have to tag all the non-media album files with the respective album name ? Seems daunting with a large library.

Is there an automated way to do this ?

I notice that thumbnails for some reason don't remain built as when i re-start MC and go to viewschems that are set to display Album thumbnails, i see them rebuilding. That too after setting the THumbnail option to Leave.

And yes i did do a rebuild all thumbnails for the whole library.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: Tagging Cover-Art in MC 11
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:01:50 am »

*BUMP* anyone :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 05:17:21 am »

I don't know why MC fills the field with a date value, but have you forgotten the "Fill Properties From Filename" tool? Or do you not have the album name included in the folder path? Tagged non-audio files can be searched among the other album files. That can be useful.

I have no thumbnail problems with my "Albums (audio with images)" scheme. I use this rule:
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Image File]=[] -[CUE track]=[Y (source)] [Lonely]=[]. The rule filters unwanted files out. You already know the purpose of the [CUE track] field. I added the [Lonely] field for indicating separate single tracks. The automatic [Full Album] field does not always work perfectly because of the slight tagging variations I still have.

I have set the view to show 160 x 160 pixel images with this thumbnail text: [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album]. This view has currently 1923 album thumbnails. As far as I can see MC uses the pre-built thumbnails instead of rebuilding them. The view displays quite quickly and can be scrolled instantly. Very rarely one or two of the thumbnails are completely missing. When that has occured I have relinked the cover art.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 06:24:35 am »

Some thoughts: Are you sure that MC is rebuilding the thumbnails instead of just displaying them slowly? What is your current HW setup and have you defragmented your HD? The thumbnail system needs some processing power and rapid file access to work smoothly if you have a large amount of thumbnails.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 11:46:46 am »

Current setup is a P3 700Mhz on XP with 256MB RAM, worked fine with MC 10. It's the media PC with nothing else running cept MC. I notice a slight speed increase with MC 11 when browsing the library. I could give the drive a defrag, but thumbnails never got rebuilt in MC10.

Note that i am not missing thumbnails, just that if i go into a view scheme with thumbnails it will rebuild them. Once its done, display on re-entering that viewscheme is as close to instant as you say (for a similar number of thumbnails).

It's when i restart MC the next day or any other reason, entering that viewscheme or similar, results in a thumbnail rebuild. You see them slowly appearing and the CPU counter stays high till its done (10s - 1 minute) or i switch out of it. Unless there is some sort of cache that is being built here, but was under the impression that there was an option setting to do that already.

My folder names are not the same as the album name so i can't use that rule,
eg. VA albums will usually have VA preceding the folder name but the album tag will just have the title and VA as album artist. Also i end the folder name with the date that the album came out.

I guess i could remove the dates from already imported images, but importing new ones will still have it.

Do you tag your cover art images at all Alex ?

I could not see any reason to do so far, usually assign the front cover to the media files and cover -art is my default visualization.. don't have CPU cycles to try anything more fancy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 12:11:36 pm »

256MB may not be enough for XP.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 12:48:59 pm »

Works fine, if you remove unecessary services from running in the background. No plugins or fancy vizzies.

I'm not seeing any playback or other peformance problems, cept for the album thumbnails re-build between reboots. An Alt+3 from PN (during playback), to library takes 3-4 secs. Not bad for a 21K+ track library. CPU usuage is 15-20% during playback, MC is quite responsive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up