INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Global hotkeys in MC?  (Read 947 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Global hotkeys in MC?
« on: August 06, 2005, 07:34:30 am »

Is there any way to control the basic playback functions (Play, Pause, Stop, Forward, Backward) using global hotkeys (as seen in Winamp 5)?
If in doubt, my intention is to control these functions from any application, any window - not only inside MC itself.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Global hotkeys in MC?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 12:46:50 pm »

Hmm - no way at all?

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 03:11:45 pm »

Johnny - Afraid not, AFAIK. Or at least not out of the box. I think there might be a few plugins putting up playing info and controls etc in the system tray that offer this as a byproduct, but not tried by me, and I cant immediately offer a concrete example. I believe theres a similar Firefox extension (Foxy Tunes?) that puts controls in that browser - with shortcuts maybe?

Getting more low tech, you could research the command line parameters here, particularly the media core command list. Setting up a few windows shortcuts to mjextman with appropriate parameters and windows assigned shortcut keys does work I think. Im sure Ive tried this in the past. But its not the smoothest solution.

If you havent tried a search of the board this has cropped up before, but without a clear easy solution I fear. Hope this helps.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 03:16:42 pm »

J-man--
I believe you want a "MSFT Multimedia Keyboard", IMO.  $30 gets you a good one, and you can do what you want from where you want, and much easier than hot keys.  You get dedicated start/stop/vol+-/next/previous keys, along with extra assignable keys for things like browser back/fwd, etc.  At least try this before you tell me this isn 't what you were looking for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up