INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain stability and MP3Gain  (Read 1384 times)

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
Replay Gain stability and MP3Gain
« on: October 05, 2002, 02:35:06 am »

Hi,

I have recently discovered the wonders of replay gain but MJ it seems has a few problems with regards to the analysis and stability thereof. I last did an analysis with 379 and after an undetermined while stopped analysing and just started taking up memory which resulted in windows expanding the virtual memory and all sorts. Processor utilisation was almost nill after the analysis stopped and during the memory swelling... I wish I had taken screen shots of System Monitor to show the pretty pictures!  :-/

Anyhow: I'd really like to analyse my whole music collection (2500 tracks or so), but don't want to fall victim to the instability of MJ's analyser only 20 tracks through 2500 (especially if I'm to leave it unattended).

So I have been doing a little research on the Replay Gain Website (replaygain.org) and have downloaded MP3Gain -- Matt makes reference to it in a recent posting -- and have analysed a few files with it.

However, it is clear that there isn't much of a standard out there because MJ won't see the files as having been analysed and when it comes to playback, defaults to the average gain rate in the playlist. Not very useful.

When will this all work nicely? If MJ could alt least get some stability into the analysis procedure, then it would nullify my quest to search elsewhere. Are there any widely used standards out there?

Oh, and can replay gain be added to the Tools menu -- it is quite odd having to find it under the tagging property window :)
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

nivw

• World Citizen
  • "I m singing in the rain, na na nanana..."
Same here
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 07:52:51 am »

Phydeaux: I had the same problems.
I would check to see if you have enough free disk space on the drive your runing replay gain, and that you have free space in your temp directory.

I reported it as a bug in the 8.0.382 thread.
I guess I'd have to get a zerus, to replace my rio in order to take advantage of this feature.....

Niv

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Replay Gain stability and MP3Gain
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 08:06:03 am »

Phydeaux,

I was in the same situation, with 1200 or so MP3 I wanted analysed.

The same memory-eating behavior happened.

I ended up selected 150-200 titles at a time to run the Analysis on, and did fine.

I also had a few that would put the peak level at 0.00 and the Radio at 51.0 IIRC. Fortunately you can sort by clicking on the columns to see which have bad numbers. When I re-analysed them I got reasonable numbers.

Not quite as easy as tagging and running them all at once - but it worked fine. Since it's pretty much a one-time task I went ahead and did it piecemeal.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 01:32:34 pm »

So I have been doing a little research on the Replay Gain Website (replaygain.org) and have downloaded MP3Gain -- Matt makes reference to it in a recent posting -- and have analysed a few files with it.

However, it is clear that there isn't much of a standard out there because MJ won't see the files as having been analysed and when it comes to playback, defaults to the average gain rate in the playlist. Not very useful.

The MJ Replay Gain works differently from MP3gain.  MJ Replay Gain analyzes the file and saves the info in a tag which is read when Replay Gain is enabled during playback.  It makes no alterations to the actual file.  MP3gain does not save the info to a tag, it applies the gain adjustments to the actual file, changing it permanently.  This way, the MP3s can be played back using any player, whether or not it supports Replay Gain.

Rob

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2002, 12:32:44 am »

Wow. :o I have just done some dual testing and MP3Gain does work as expected. I suppose I could have read the help file a little closer! 8)

The next question is how clipping is handled: what does MJ do about clipping that may be introduced by turning up the volume, so to speak?

Anyway, that's minor: I'm now off to 'MP3Gain' my entire music collection: wish me luck!! ;D
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs
Pages: [1]   Go Up