INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 and PocketPC/WMP Mobile...  (Read 1954 times)

dwex

• World Citizen
MC11 and PocketPC/WMP Mobile...
« on: August 15, 2005, 03:15:37 pm »

MC11 does not seem to detect my Windows Mobile 2003 SE Pocket PC (Dell Axim x50v) as a Janus/MTP device. WMP10 recognizes it when connected via USB (but not when connected via BlueTooth, for some reason). WMP10 sees a portable device for each element of storage on the PDA  (4 total - main memory, built-in flash disk, SD card, and CF card). I am able to sync (manually or automatically) Janus tracks to any of these devices with WMP10. I cannot find any way to get the device recognized by MC11 to copy either unprotected ripped tracks or Janus rentail tracks.

Help?

--dwex

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC11 and PocketPC/WMP Mobile...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 03:46:04 pm »

dwex,

Not sure. We may have to get a similar device to know definitively.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 09:11:48 am »

dwex,

I got an older Pocket PC and MC detects it without issue. I cannot upgrade the firmware on the one I have to test the MTP/Janus compatibility. Out of curiosity, if you go to Tools->Options->Handheld->Configure remote or fixed drives, can you browse to the device? If so, if you name it can MC handle it?

Steve

dwex

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:20:41 am »

Strangely enough, today MC11 recognized the MTP devices on the PocketPC. This may have been a glitch, or it may have been because WMP10 was running at the same time (it wasn't before). Not sure. It still detects them even without WMP10 running.

There is no context in MC11 that I can find in which the PocketPC is detectable as a drive, even though the 'Mobile Device' node shows up in Windows Explorer and is browsable.

--dwex

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 01:17:49 pm »

There is no context in MC11 that I can find in which the PocketPC is detectable as a drive, even though the 'Mobile Device' node shows up in Windows Explorer and is browsable.

That is not surprising.

So you are now able to access this device in MC and transfer content to it?

Thanks,

Steve

dwex

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 03:38:23 pm »

So you are now able to access this device in MC and transfer content to it?

Well, sort-of...

• When I transfer a file, I get an error "Transfer errors. (X files) <filename> transfer failed -2147024809".
  • When I click OK on the error dialog, MC11 hangs for ~10-15 seconds, then comes back
  • The path and file are created on the device, but the file is 0 bytes
  • WMP10 creates its entries under a Music\ top-level folder; MC11 creates the files at the root of the device. Not sure if this is a bug, working as designed, or a configuration thing that I just haven't set properly

This is with unprotected WMA files. I haven't tried DRM'd files yet (since the unprotected files didn't work).

Other things that don't look right:

• MC11 sees the files I've transfered to the device using WMP10, but does not read any tags - only the file name shows up
  • When I look at the device in "Drives & Devices", in addition to the .wma files, it is also listing the DRM database (<sequence-of-hex-digits>.hds) and the WMP library file (XMEMediaLibrary.mlb)

For my Zen Micro (MTP firmware), the tag info is displayed, and I am able to transfer files without error.

For both devices, enumerating files on the device takes a LONG time - I have ~700 files on my Zen Micro; from the time I connect it until I can interact with MC11 again is ~5 minutes at 60-80% CPU. The SD card in my PocketPC has only ~20 files on it and MC11 "goes away" for ~1-2 minutes when I first try to access it.

--dwex

Media Center Registered 11.0.310 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 971 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 303 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2713 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050702-1513) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: _NEC     DVD+RW ND-5100A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 09:26:43 am »

When I transfer a file, I get an error "Transfer errors. (X files) <filename> transfer failed -2147024809".

What is the path of the file on the PC?

WMP10 creates its entries under a Music\ top-level folder; MC11 creates the files at the root of the device. Not sure if this is a bug, working as designed, or a configuration thing that I just haven't set properly

This can be modified easily. In order to do it, I need to know exactly how the device appears in the MC tree. Also, let me know if the device supports playlists and if so, if there is a specific directory where they must go to be recognized.

MC11 sees the files I've transfered to the device using WMP10, but does not read any tags - only the file name shows up

This is the information that Windows WMDM is returning. Does WMP show you all the info when you view the files on the device?

For both devices, enumerating files on the device takes a LONG time - I have ~700 files on my Zen Micro; from the time I connect it until I can interact with MC11 again is ~5 minutes at 60-80% CPU. The SD card in my PocketPC has only ~20 files on it and MC11 "goes away" for ~1-2 minutes when I first try to access it.

This should only happen the first time that MC accesses the device. MC then caches the info and retrieval should be quick in subsequent connections unless you have modified the files on the device.

dwex

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 12:04:31 pm »

When I transfer a file, I get an error "Transfer errors. (X files) <filename> transfer failed -2147024809".
What is the path of the file on the PC?

My Documents\My Music\Artist\Album\track# - title.wma

WMP10 creates its entries under a Music\ top-level folder; MC11 creates the files at the root of the device. Not sure if this is a bug, working as designed, or a configuration thing that I just haven't set properly
This can be modified easily. In order to do it, I need to know exactly how the device appears in the MC tree. Also, let me know if the device supports playlists and if so, if there is a specific directory where they must go to be recognized.

Under "Drives & Devices", I have three nodes: "DWex_Axim" (the name of my PocketPC), "Built-in Storage" (the built-in flash drive) and "SD Card" (for the SD card). I assume there would be a fourth if I had a memory card plugged into the CF slot, but I don't have one with me now.

When I browse the device in Windows Explorer, "Built-in Storage" and "SD Card" are directories under Mobile Device\My Pocket PC, not top-level nodes.

WMP10 syncs files into Music\Artist\Album\file on each device. Playlists go in Playlists\playlistname.asx

MC11 sees the files I've transfered to the device using WMP10, but does not read any tags - only the file name shows up
This is the information that Windows WMDM is returning. Does WMP show you all the info when you view the files on the device?

WMP10 shows only file names for both devices. Under Windows Explorer, browsing the Zen has all tag details, browsing the PocketPC shows files, but I think the PocketPC browser is doing different things. So this is probably "working as designed"

This should only happen the first time that MC accesses the device. MC then caches the info and retrieval should be quick in subsequent connections unless you have modified the files on the device.

Well, something is clearly in a very wedged-up state right now. Now when I select any of my devices (Axim, SD, built-in storage or zen micro) the list of files displayes is the list of files on the Axim. At the top, I have the correct device name, the number of files on the Axim, the correct remaining space, and then the Axim's list of files. I can drill down the tree under each device and see the right things, but the list for the device itself is showing the same list for all four devices.

I've exited & restarted MC11, disconnected and reconnected the devices, and done the "reset connected devices" thing in MC options (after which it redetected all four device and STILL displayed the same list of files for all four).

I'm not trying to be a pain - really I'm not...

--dwex

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 12:13:34 pm »

dwex,

I am not sure what the deal is. From what I understand, MC probably is not compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 though it should be compatible with 2005.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up