INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linksys Wireless-B Music Link WMLS11B  (Read 1114 times)

Mgarmy

Linksys Wireless-B Music Link WMLS11B
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:01:33 pm »

Hi,

I am considering purchasing MC11 but would like to know if it is compatible with the Linksys WMLS11B product. I tried it it already but without any results although it sees the MC server running but cannot connect to it.

Thanks, Mannie

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Linksys Wireless-B Music Link WMLS11B
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 11:14:23 pm »

The linksys uses UPNP, but has some proprietary features and doesn't follow the standards.  At this time it's not compatible with MC since it doesn't want to follow the rules.
The developers can comment about if they ever plan to accomodate the exceptions in order to support it, but imho, I think they should just follow the standards and only support devices that follow the rules.  Sometimes fudging things for the individual interfaces can cause grief for the other devices that follow the rules.
Plus, by sticking with the upnp standards, it's much easier to support multiple devices such as I have.

buffaloquinn

Re: Linksys Wireless-B Music Link WMLS11B
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 11:35:35 am »

Hi. I'm a devoted Media Center User and I got a Linksys Media Adapter.  was disappointed it didn't support it but I am sticking with both anyway.
The Linksys runs it's own server which doesn't interfere with MC's so I have no problem running both. Biggest problem I have is playlists. MC exports msu lists in a format that Linksys doesn't recognize. I posted for some help on this but no response as yet. I have one work around already, but its cumbersome. I am working on another.
I like the Linksys unit though. Piped through my surround sound the quality is great, beter than my original direct connect from the computer suprisingly enough. Navigation on screen TV  is pretty easy, but playlists are a must if you have an extensive collection.
The ability to have a slideshow running on screen at the same time as the music is cool too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up