INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: iPod Nano - How to use it help (please)  (Read 2991 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
OT: iPod Nano - How to use it help (please)
« on: September 28, 2005, 03:10:47 pm »

Ok...I got an iPod Nano to play with and so far I'm not really impressed with it.  It' much harder to do simple navigation and playback than my Dell Pocket DJ (which I love).  I'm not a fan of the click wheel (never have been) on the iPods...too sensitive (always accidentally doing something) and just, well, too goofey.

Questions:

1. How do I play a single track and not a whole list?  Everytime I view an artist or album and select a track, the Nano queues all tracks by the artist or for the album to play (argh!!).

2. How do I add a single track to the currently playing track list?

3. What are compilations?  What's the Settings -> Compilations On/Off do?  None of the Apple documentation says anything about this.

4. After drilling down to play an album (for example) and starting playback, why do I have to hit Menu 5 times to get back to the main menu?  This is cumbersome...is there not a Menu and Back button support (like the Dell DJ or like a browser's Home and Back)?

5. How do I remove a single track from the currently playing playlist?

That's just a few things I can't figure out or understand.  Surely, I'm missing something because iPods are so popular but I don't see why at this point.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OT: iPod Nano - How to use it help (please)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 03:49:13 pm »

no clue, but nice looking player
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
Re: OT: iPod Nano - How to use it help (please)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:27:14 pm »

Ok...I got an iPod Nano to play with .....<Snip>
Questions:

1. How do I play a single track and not a whole list?  Everytime I view an artist or album and select a track, the Nano queues all tracks by the artist or for the album to play (argh!!).

2. How do I add a single track to the currently playing track list?

There is not a real "playing now" que.  The iPod starts playing from wherever you select in the displayed list and keeps going until it gets to the end of that list.  If you leave that list, you will have to go back to it again to find the list of what will be played.  "Now Playing" is just that, what is playing right now.  Not a list of que-ed up songs.  It is one of the things that I hate most about itunes - no "playing now" list or que

It sounds like you want to use the "on-the-go" playlist function to make playlists on the fly.  When you have found what you want to play, either a single song, an album, or an artist, press and hold the center select button.  The item you have selected will flash and be added to the "on-the-go" playlist.  Go to music-playlist-"On-The-Go" to play it.

3. What are compilations?  What's the Settings -> Compilations On/Off do?  None of the Apple documentation says anything about this

This has something to do with having your songs marked as part of a compilation in iTunes.  See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301172.  doesn't mention what
 compilation.

4. After drilling down to play an album (for example) and starting playback, why do I have to hit Menu 5 times to get back to the main menu?  This is cumbersome...is there not a Menu and Back button support (like the Dell DJ or like a browser's Home and Back)?

The menu button is really a back button.  Or more accurately, an up button.

5. How do I remove a single track from the currently playing playlist?

Since there is no "currently playing" playlist, there is no way to remove a song from what is being played.  You can change user created playlists in iTunes or Media Center or whatever program you use to manage your iPod.

Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up