INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Portable Music Player for Lossless or uncompressed?  (Read 24487 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Best Portable Music Player for Lossless or uncompressed?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2005, 11:36:32 am »

Goatherder,
The site removed is illegal.  We don't do that here.

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2005, 11:50:29 am »

Lossless will cause the HDD to spin up more to fill the buffer, the #1 reason for battery drain on a portable player.

Then I should be fine with the 4GB nano.  Lossless will work fine. 

I'm still trying to understand what it means to set up a new library in MC for use with the iPod.  I guess so I could have a seperate area that has .wav or MP3 files for use with the iPOD.  It would be nice to have a separate library with separate playlists for the iPod nano.  I need to keep my entire library as APE, but I could have another 'area' for the iPOD with .wav and MP3...  Any more details on what I wrote in my post before this one?

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2005, 12:30:45 pm »

Just so I can get going and listen to something, How do I (hopefully in one step) highlight somgs in a playlist (APE files) and then transfer them to the iPOD in MP3 (extreme CBR) while also leaving the original APE file in MC intact.  i.e. just a way to get songs into the iPOD directly from MC quickly...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2005, 12:40:59 pm »

Then I should be fine with the 4GB nano.  Lossless will work fine.
Reading from a flash memory consumes power too, but I have no idea if that makes any significant difference.

I'm still trying to understand what it means to set up a new library in MC for use with the iPod.  I guess so I could have a seperate area that has .wav or MP3 files for use with the iPOD.  It would be nice to have a separate library with separate playlists for the iPod nano.  I need to keep my entire library as APE, but I could have another 'area' for the iPOD with .wav and MP3...  Any more details on what I wrote in my post before this one?

You can make new libraries with the Library Manager (File > Library > Library Manager > Add). Each library has a completely separate database.

I would first make a playlist of the files I like to use with Nano inside my main MC library. Then I would copy the files to a separate folder with the "Copy Disk Files" tool. After that I would change to a new library, import the files and convert them to WMA lossless instead of wave because WMA lossless can contain the file tags. iTunes can convert WMA lossless files to ALAC and preserve the file tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2005, 12:41:40 pm »

Just so I can get going and listen to something, How do I (hopefully in one step) highlight somgs in a playlist (APE files) and then transfer them to the iPOD in MP3 (extreme CBR) while also leaving the original APE file in MC intact.  i.e. just a way to get songs into the iPOD directly from MC quickly...

I guess you just need to read the general iPod instructions and tips on this forum.

Warner posted this:
Just picked up an ipod Nano yesterday and kept my fingers crossed that it would work seamlessly... and glad to report that it does.  I'm currently using version 11.0312.  Had a slight problem with playlist tracks not showing up with initial sync.  But after I did an "initialize", it's been working without a hitch.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2005, 05:59:13 am »

Health Nut,

I share your concerns over lossy downloads and am concerned for the future of good quality music.  My hope is that lossless options will become available.  Right now I prefer to own a physical product anyway, even if I do then rip the CD and put it away in storage.

Mark

SteveG

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2005, 01:12:26 pm »

Health Nut,

Go to Tools->Options->Handheld and you will see an option for doing conversion of files during a transfer to a portable device.

Steve

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2005, 08:09:59 pm »

Thank-you... 

I did the "Tools->Options->Handheld" and selected conversion to MP3 extreme VBR.  It transferred all the files to the iPOD, however, they don't show up on the display of the iPOD.  Also, when I go to the iPod, it always seems to be stuck in the "do not disconnect" mode when attached to the computer, regardless of what is going on... it is always in that mode when connected via the USB 2.0 cable.  Further, now when I go to iTunes (do I need that software for anything other than if I wanted to convert to ALAC lossless?) iTunes says it can "no longer read the contents of the iPOD".  I had that happen before but there are two separate problems: the iPOD says do not disconnect all the time it is connected.  Secondly, I can't get the iPOD to recognize the MP3 files...  ? 

SteveG

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2005, 09:23:22 am »

when I go to the iPod, it always seems to be stuck in the "do not disconnect" mode when attached to the computer,

It will be in this mode until you go to the task bar and remove the device using the Windows 'Safely Remove Hardware' option.  Alternately, you can right click on iPod and select 'Eject' and then the iPod should switch to the mode where it can be safely removed.

In regards to the other issue, try deactivating the option in iTunes for it to auto detect your iPod. Then, in MC try right clicking and selecting the option to 'ReInitialize' your iPod. After this, there will be nothing on your iPod. Transfer some files with covnersion and see if eveything is OK.

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2005, 02:22:45 pm »

The nano is the first >1gb flash player.

No, that was my 128K Rio Forge with 2GB SD card. Had it for a while now. Plays well with MC.

I really like being to pop in and out multiple SD cards. And it's nice to be able to go buy the latest, larger capacity flash card when it arrives.When the 128K was released I don't think they even considered loading it with 2GB, and now I see that Pretec and a few others have 4GB SD cards on the market. I look forward to one day popping an 8GB SD into the player...

It's a real shame none of the Apple flash players ever come with expansion slots, and given Apple's business model, I doubt they ever will.

The Forge doesn't play lossless though.
Irish guy in San Francisco

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Rockbox Does Lossless
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2005, 09:26:23 pm »

I want to purchase a portable music player that can handle lossless or uncompressed files ... It would be great if their were a portable player that could run J Rivers media center and APE lossless files.

I think a shout out here to the Rockbox folks is in order:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureComparison

They make an open-source firmware replacement for several portable audio players that is exquisitely tailored for users.

The port to the iRiver h120s and h140s is almost done, and as of today it seems to support the following lossless:
FLAC
WAVPack
Apple Lossless

I gather the iRiver is particularly easy to add new codecs to because it is all software driven.

The original Rockbox platform, the Archos Recorder, is rather old and uses a closed-source MAS DSP chip to encode and decode. So for years mp3 was the only available option. Now, however, MAS finally released their code to the project and progress on a WAV encoder/decoder seems to be ongoing. That is good news because one benefit of the huge old (2001 vintage) Archos machines is that they take regular 2.5" notebook drives. It's trivially easy to add a 100GB or 120GB drive to them for some serious capacity.
Irish guy in San Francisco

jaguar.x

• Junior Woodchuck
  • no matter what you do...
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2005, 02:31:12 pm »

I have been using Karma for almost a year and can tell that this is the best portable player without a doubt, all the features of the Karma are perfect for the one who wants QUANTITY and the one who wants QUALITY.

I have used it on extreme conditions (jogging, byking) and for long periods ( more than 12 hours with one charge of the battery ), I also love using the docking station RCA outputs when visiting friends and want to hear my music there, just plug it to my friend's stereo that's what I call portable.

In my opinion Karma is the best portable music player.

regards
______
...for every begin there is another end to keep on beginning...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2005, 08:20:04 am »

Why does lossless use more power?  Are you sure that it isn't a myth, or at the very least, just a very tiny amount more power consumption.  Doesn't make too much sense.

If you have a drive based player the hd motor has to be on much more frequently (because of the greater size of the file) to play a lossless (or less lossy for that matter) selection. On well constructed players the hd motor uses most of the power (especially starting and stopping). On one player I've used the buffer is large enough so that even tracks up to an hour long load in just a couple of seconds into the buffer and the motor doesn't run again until the next selection.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up