INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy/Convert an entire library  (Read 2480 times)

nymaestro

• Recent member
Copy/Convert an entire library
« on: September 06, 2005, 10:09:34 pm »

I have two hard drives--a 300GB NAS and a 250GB USB2.  My main library is stored on the 300GB NAS in WAV format.  I would like to copy my library from the NAS to the USB2, including the directory structure, AND convert the files to MP3 to save space, all at the same time.  During the convert process I would like to store all of the tags in the MC library to the MP3 file upon conversion.

Here's my problem.  MC 11 can copy an entire directory structure (using rename files from properties).  MC 11 can convert file types.  But can it do both in the same operation?  I do not have the space to copy and then convert, and I do not have the patience to recreate my directory structure from scratch.

Please help.

-D

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Copy/Convert an entire library
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:14:17 pm »

If you use "Rename Files From Properties" to COPY your files, you will have plenty of room left to convert them, because that method MOVES files, not COPIES them, AFAIK. 

LisaRCT had a great idea and I tried it, and it does not preserve directory structure or tags, which would seem to be the whole point of the exercise, although it's a cool technique.  Similarly, "Copy Disk File" wants you to manually recreate the directory structure.

If someone knows how to copy an entire library in place with tags, etc, I would like to hear how.  This is the technique I would like to use to back up my tracks.  The idea is that if one goes missing, the backup copy is readily available and fully tagged.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 07:25:35 am »

Try Library->Convert Files
Set the options to suit your needs. It will work fine to convert, update the library, create the directory structure, and if you want delete the original files.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:56:51 am »

Yes, of course (assuming you mean Liibrary Tools/Convert Files").  Use settings on the concert tool to move and convert at the same time (making sure that you don't delete the original). 

This also might work for my backup question, since you can disable the option to "skip conversions of the same file type.  Typically astute, Hammer. (FLAC 2 the MAX)

nymaestro

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 09:21:24 am »

Try Library->Convert Files
Set the options to suit your needs. It will work fine to convert, update the library, create the directory structure, and if you want delete the original files.

errr...  not quite.

It does allow you to create a basic directory structure (artist\album), but it does not allow you to create anything more complex, as in the "rename files from properties".

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:02:31 am »

Oops.  At least my streak is intact:  227 posts and not a right answer given.

I think this would be a great feature request, although I'm not sure where all the feature requests end up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:12:51 am »

Oops.  At least my streak is intact:  227 posts and not a right answer given.
Yeah?  If what you say is true, then how can we believe you?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:33:02 am »

Oops.  At least my streak is intact:  227 posts and not a right answer given.

I think this would be a great feature request, although I'm not sure where all the feature requests end up.

LOL   ;D

nymaestro,

I would love to try to help, but I guess more information would be good to have:

I have two hard drives--a 300GB NAS and a 250GB USB2.  My main library is stored on the 300GB NAS in WAV format.

How big is your wave files archive? Is the USB2 drive empty? Can you fit the wave files temporally on it and how much that would leave empty space on the drive?

I would like to copy my library from the NAS to the USB2, including the directory structure, AND convert the files to MP3 to save space, all at the same time.  During the convert process I would like to store all of the tags in the MC library to the MP3 file upon conversion.

How are you planning to use the MP3 copy of the audio library? Are you going to use it with another PC? Or is it just for having MP3 copies available on the same PC?

Here's my problem. MC 11 can copy an entire directory structure (using rename files from properties).  MC 11 can convert file types.  But can it do both in the same operation?  I do not have the space to copy and then convert, and I do not have the patience to recreate my directory structure from scratch.

Do you currently have a common base folder for the wave files? How is your folder structure defined? Would it be possible to make the conversions in smaller batches, like first the folders from A to E, then F to J, etc... ?

Anything else significant?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 10:49:54 am »

Ok, if it is a complex directory structure, convert to get it to the new drive in MP3 format then use move/rename to get the directory structure how you like it. If it is based upon something you have in tags.

Pages: [1]   Go Up