INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Tough Query...  (Read 1181 times)

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
One Tough Query...
« on: September 07, 2005, 12:26:56 am »

I'm trying to write a smartlist/view scheme query that returns all the tracks that have duplicate names as all the tracks in a certain playlist.

That is, I have a playlist called "special names", and I want a smartlist which will have all the tracks which match on any of the track names in the "special names" playlist.

Can this be done?

Cheers,
Jeff

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: One Tough Query...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 12:24:47 pm »

copy the line below to your clipboard, open MC, press ctrl+f then press ctrl+v

~dup=[name] p="special names"

This will first of all list all the duplicate names in your library, and then strip away everything that is not in the special names playlist.
So, every track you see will be from the special names list, but you will know that it has a duplicate somewhere else in the library.

right click a track, locate > advanced > name, will display them.

tedious if the list is long, but that's as close as I can get you atm.

Edit:
You could try this:
Once the list has been compiled from the above search, you could click on the wizard arrow, hover over "more fields.." click on "name"

In the dialogue that displays, make sure that "only show items that match other search criteria" is ticked (I think it defaults that way) and click the "select all" button. Click OK

Now click inside the search box and remove everything to the left of [name]= (ie. ~dup=[name] p="special names")

now the list should show all the duplicate names you're looking for, including those entries that are in the special names list. adding -p="special names" should remove those leaving just the files from the main library.

Did you follow all that? bit convoluted I know, but so far, I can't see a way to automate the task.

-marko.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
Re: One Tough Query...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 11:24:13 am »

Marko!

Thanks so much. It wasn't convoluted at all and worked like a charm. However...  ;)

What I found though was that I really wanted to find tracks that have identical names and artists.

So I can do that in the initial dup clause, sure. And later, when I create the explicit list of track names I can also create an explicit list of artists... but those queries aren't connected to give me exactly what I need... there's a chance I'll get some extra tracks. This is probably OK, since I'm gauranteed to get at least all the tracks I do need.

Still, it would be better to be able to form the exact query I'm looking for somehow.

Anyway, thanks again!

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up