INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macintosh Interaction  (Read 1012 times)

jss1015

• Recent member
Macintosh Interaction
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:24:03 am »

I have a PC running MC11 connected to my home audio system, in a closet in the basement.  I also have a mac as my primary family PC.  Is there an easy way to take music from the mac (purchased from iTunes or ripped) and add it to the MC library without having to go down to the MC computer and add it?   If i simply copy them to a target folder on the PC, can MC "auto-discover" the files and add them to the library.

I'm using MC11 thru a plug in and control it from remote touch screens.  The actual MC computer is rarely touched.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Macintosh Interaction
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:07:36 am »

The answer is "Maybe"...  :)

MC doesn't (yet) have the facility of 'watch folders'. Where the program will poll a set of folders for new additions and add anything it finds to its library. You will have to run the "Import" command from the MC computer.

The simplicity comes from where you want to store the files. You could (as you suggest) copy them all to the PC, but if you are running OSX, you can also turn on Windows file sharing on your Mac (look at the 'Sharing' preference pane) and map the iTunes music folder on your Mac to a network drive letter on the PC. Run the import command on the PC and away you'll go!

Hope this helps or gives you a couple of ideas...

Brad

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 05:10:59 am »

You could also look at installing a VNC server on your PC and a Client on your Mac.

I have this set-up and it allows me open the PC desktop on my Mac, drive the PC etc. all without touching the physical machine.

VNC is simply the best, most efficient cross-platform remote control software available.

Check it out.

Peter

jss1015

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 10:34:49 am »

I've heard of VNC before and I understand the concept.  However, there appear to be a whole host of VNC client and server software packages out there.  Could you point me to a good PC server and MAC client for personal home use?

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:36:08 pm »

On my PC I use Real VNC server. Free Edition works just fine;

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

On the mac, I use VNCThing client but that no longers appears to be available. Pity, I like it's simplicity.

The oddly named chicken of the VNC might do the trick;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

Otherwise google for OSX VNC Client and you should find someting.

Note, these are just the pieces of software I use, there are probably others that do the job just as well.

I must say, I tinkered with a lot of other potential solutions but find VNC just does the job well in a mixed platform environment. Good luck!

Peter

Pages: [1]   Go Up