INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning CD's with volume automatically adjusted  (Read 1940 times)

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Burning CD's with volume automatically adjusted
« on: September 17, 2005, 11:38:58 am »

Is there any way to do this in MC 11? I tried it, by checking the box to apply DSP settings to the CD when it's burned, and setting the replay gain settings, but it didn't work.

If someone could show me an easy way of having MC automatically normalize the volume when it burns a CD, it would save me loads of time.

Thanks,

Lachlan

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Burning CD's with volume automatically adjusted
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 02:49:51 pm »

It should work when burning regular audio CDs if you have analyzed the music files. What is the file format? MC can import some file types that cannot be analyzed, e.g. AAC (m4a/p), Real audio, SHN, MP2.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:51:07 pm »

Have your files been analyzed? Replay gain only works if the files havealeady been analyzed.  Once done, the DSP settings will work as you wish.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 08:54:23 pm »

I have them analyzed, and it works when I play them on my computer. It doesn't work, however, when I burn them to the CD. On the Drag-and-drop area for burning, I hit the options->Burn Settings button. First, I check the button for applying DSP effects to the CD. Then I hit the "Settings" button for DSP on the dialog that comes up. From there, I hit the DSP Studio button, and make sure the Replay Gain settings match the ones I use to play the files on my computer.

I haven't tried checking the "Decode Files Directly to the CD" option though. . . Do I need to do that?

The files I've tried this on are MP3's, and WAV's, both of which I believe are supported.

Would you like version info, etc?

Or my exact Replay Gain settings?

I don't want to flood you with unnecessary information, but I do want to be as cooperative as possible, so please ask for any other information you may need.

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 12:20:36 pm »

Would you like version info, etc?

Or my exact Replay Gain settings?

I don't want to flood you with unnecessary information, but I do want to be as cooperative as possible, so please ask for any other information you may need.

The more info you supply, the more it helps us to help you, afterall we don't know your computer and setup, so every little bit helps.

Whenever posting about a technical issue one should always include at least the system info from the help  menu and anything else that might pertain.
Jay.

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 03:14:06 pm »

Thanks for your replies!

Here's my system info:

Media Center Registered 11.0.314 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2989 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 607 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1552 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: JLMS    DVD-ROM XJ-HD166  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-252S    Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me. It seems like if I burn a CD with the settings I use in MC all the time, it should sound the same. Instead, the volume changes dramatically from track to track.

When I turned on Replay Gain for the music in my library, it made all my music quieter in the process of making it equal, so I told it to raise the volume by a fixed amount. Would that interfere with the process when burning to CD?

What exactly does "Decode Files Directly to CD" do, anyway?

Thanks again,

Lachlan

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:52:58 pm »

When I turned on Replay Gain for the music in my library, it made all my music quieter in the process of making it equal, so I told it to raise the volume by a fixed amount. Would that interfere with the process when burning to CD?

Possibly, I have always used the "Automatic based on current playlist" option. I could try how it works on my PC, but I must find an empty rewritable disk first. I think I have a few of them somewhere.

What exactly does "Decode Files Directly to CD" do, anyway?

This is from the MC Help:
Decode Files Directly To CD. When checked, files will are decoded and burned to the CD simultaneously. If this is not checked, mp3 files are converted to WAV format prior to the start of the burn process. Decoding and burning simultaneously puts more of a burden on your CPU, so if you are having problems with the burn failing part way through, uncheck this option.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 07:04:39 pm »

I gave it a try again today, disabling the commands to omit leading and trailing silence, and turning off any fixed adjustment. I analysed everything before burning, and told it to apply DSP settings as usual.

This time, as has happend before, I got a "Unknown Device Error. Codes 5, 48, 5". The CD will only play for a short while before MC 11 dies. I presume the disk is corrupted.

I will try again now.

I appreatiate any attempts to help me solve these issues.

Lachlan87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 07:34:28 pm »

Tried it again with a different brand of CD-R, and it seems to have worked---in every respect!  ;D 

I have no idea which of the things I did made the volume balancing work. Disabling the "Omit Leading and Trailing Silences" option or the Fixed adjustment are my best guesses.

Anyone else care to give their opinion?

modelmaker

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 12:00:05 am »

Sometimes it can just be a difference in the CDs you use. ? ? ?
Jay.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 08:26:39 pm »

Sometimes it's just magic.
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up