INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod playlists  (Read 2082 times)

denweller

• Recent member
iPod playlists
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:37:15 pm »

i just an iPod again for the first time in a year. it is a 30 gig so have to find the best way to download music to it. mc seems to work better (or at least save a step) than iTunes because all the songs are already in my library and I like the way MC organizes them. So I am downloading albums one by one (not enough room for my entire collection and there is some crap of course). That works well but cannot figure out how, if it possible, to create playlists and modify them in MC. Using iTunes to do that for now. Any ideas? Advice?

Dutch Peter

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Carpe Diem
Re: iPod playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:03:42 am »

Right-click on the Playlist item in the tree on the left and choose Add Playlist or Add Smartlist.

Both can be used to sync songs to your iPod.
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:12:05 am »

Both can be used to sync songs to your iPod.

set this up via the handheld options dialogue...

sync to playlist > select playlists from the tree.

denweller

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 07:58:24 pm »

will this interfere in any way in the downloading of albums from media center to the iPod? That is the most important thing. I can always do the playlists in iTunes if necessary or try Anapod.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:00:01 pm »

The playlists transfer along with all songs contained therein.

denweller

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 10:44:00 pm »

This wiped all the songs off my iPod that it had taken hours to transfer. It left only the songs that were in the playlist I was moving, and that wasn't listed as a playlist, either.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 11:54:24 pm »

You likely had the "delete from handheld items not in playlist" checked as shown in the screenshot.  That will copy all songs that are included in the playlist(s) you checked and remove everything else.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 12:40:49 am »

This wiped all the songs off my iPod that it had taken hours to transfer. It left only the songs that were in the playlist I was moving, and that wasn't listed as a playlist, either.

man, sorry to hear this. you had backups etc, yes?

try to forget about anapod and itunes for a moment. I've never installed itunes here, yet, and after having a quick look at anapod, I uninstalled it.

think about MC.
You have a library of albums catalogued in one of the best libraries out there.
You can add a field to your library, you can name it anything you like, such as ipod if you're feeling original ;)

Your next choice should be whether you want to use this field to flag tracks that you want to be on the ipod, or to flag tracks you do not want on the ipod, and then set the flag accordingly. the general idea is to populate the field for one set of files, say those you do not want on the ipod, with "no", and leave the rest empty.

Next, create a new playlist group, name it ipod, perhaps?
now add a smartlist to this group.
the following search will list all those files where you left the [ipod] tag empty.
[file type]=mp3 [ipod]=[]

If you use handheld options and tell it to sync from this playlist, all those files will be copied to the ipod, quickly too, if you have USB 2?

It should not be taking you hours to transfer albums.
Could you perhaps say exactly what it is you want to achieve, and how you've been going about it so far?

One of things I was wondering, was what filetypes you are dealing with. Are they all .mp3's?

denweller

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 02:04:31 am »

thanks for your thoughtful and comprehensive reply. will review it and see where to go. 99 percent of my files are mp3s. i do much prefer the mc presentation and would rather not use iTunes at all. Was being forced to use it to create playlists. Also have Anapod, which just saved my behind when I made the playlist error on my iPod. I have recopied all my genres back but none showed up on the iPod. The Anapod restore feature brought them back.

denweller

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 02:19:52 am »

now i have confirmed that after making the playlist settings, which i have reversed, i am now unable to transfer tracks to the iPod. It seems to be sending them there but they never arrive. If I go to the same folder in iTunes and import it to their library it does work. So there is nothing wrong with the mp3 files. Any thoughts?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 11:54:08 am »

This will erase everything on your ipod, but this should get you up and running with MC.
Don't run itunes after this.

1) Make sure you've installed at least version 11.1.89 of MC.
2) Using windows explorer, find and delete the itunesdb file on your ipod.
3) Start up MC now.
4) Right click the ipod in the tree view under drives and devices.
5) Select INITIALIZE from that context menu.

Now follow the steps marko gave you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up