INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy tags from file to file  (Read 1365 times)

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Copy tags from file to file
« on: September 22, 2005, 03:39:29 pm »

Is there any way to copy (user-controllable) tags from one file to another besides copying and pasting field by field?

An example is that I have files in a certain format, i.e. MP3 and they have lots of user-entered tags.  I then have the files in a different format, i.e. WMA and want to be able to apply all the tags from one mp3 file to the corresponding WMA file.  I'm not looking for automatic matching across files based on file name, etc....just a way to copy all the fields from one file to another in one step. 

If MC doesn't support this directly, can I export the library fields and use another tool like Excel to copy and paste among records, then reimport it back?

Thanks,
-J

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Copy tags from file to file
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 03:43:44 pm »

select the two fliles

right click on one of them

select "edit selected item"

use the combo box select the correct for both (or more) files

thats about it
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:30:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply, but if I'm following correctly, that requires doing manually field by field.  I'm trying to copy all (user-enterable) fields at once.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 04:52:40 pm »

There is no easy way to do that.

You can export playlists or the whole library in XML format (= mpl) edit the xml or mpl files and import the data back to MC.

If the files have same names except the filename extensions you can make a copy of your library, temporally replace the original files with new files (on HD, outside MC) and use the Find and Replace tool for fixing the filename extensions. After that you can update the file tags from the library, move the updated files to a different place, return the original files and load your default library back.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 01:47:30 am »

The mpl way will work, but if there are many (in the 100's or more) files, you have to take care that your edits are 100% correct. Doing this in a text editor is just as tedious and more error-prone.

You are better off using MC to update the MPL file instead. Yes Manually field by field. I had to do this recently when i imported 1000's of cue files.

I created a mpl of all the files that needed to be updated. Then loaded that MPL in playing now, then created a view scheme that would display the master file (mp3 in your case) at the top of the list along with the files(wma's)  to be edited right below it. If you display by album its easier to do. I am guessing here that the Album tag would be the same between the mp3 & wma file.

Then click the field on the master file that you want copied to the rest, ctrl+a all files, then F2 to edit and then return. All files with that field for that album are updated. Once i got tired i just saved to the mpl file for later.

Doing it this way i was using MC to update it's own MPL file. You can do the work in manageable chunks and be confident that once it's done all files will be updated correctly. Try it with a few albums first.

After going thorugh this exercise i was wishing there was a automatic way to copy fields to more than one file instead of only to the same file as it is currently. It would be a very powerful feature for sure but also a dangerous one. For instance, is there any easy way to tell that the copy went fine across 100s or maybe 100s of files.  You could of course say other tag features in MC can be equally as dangerous if used carelessly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up