INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compressor/Limiter in MC11?  (Read 1366 times)

outsider

• Recent member
Compressor/Limiter in MC11?
« on: September 30, 2005, 06:52:04 am »

I have just bought a C Crane FM transmitter to pump out tunes through out my house (and use any FM radio as a recieving station) straight from my sound card. The only drawback to the unit is that if the incoming signal is too loud, it seriously degrades the quality of the transmitted signal.
And since some (quite a few actually) are not normalized, I end up having to adjust the soundcards volume for each song... no practical!

So, I need some sort of compressor/limiter software that will do that for me. It would be nice if MC had that built in... I'd like to stay away from a hardware solution, since it can get costly, since I plan on having several zones which means multiple hardware components.
Does it? I haven't found anything (from the time I spent looking) so maybe there are some plug-ins?

I found this for winamp: http://tmsweb.dnsalias.com/SoundSol.htm

Any suggestions/recommendatins are welcome.
Give me some ideas!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Compressor/Limiter in MC11?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 07:11:08 am »

Analyze the files with MC and use the Track Replay Gain and Clip Protection functions in MC's DSP options. (This works only with internally supported file formats.)

You can add compression to the output by increasing "PREAMP" together with "Overflow Handling: Clip Protection" in the DSP Equalizer.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Compressor/Limiter in MC11?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:27:20 am »

Alex--
What is meant by "compression"?  Using scthom's EQdb plugin, digital volume control on a per-track basis is achieved via the "preamp" setting.  In some cases, replay gain may be -2db, and preamp may be +4db, bringing the net amp setting to +2 (I believe).  Is the signal degraded by the multiple (and possibly conflicting) settings, or does MC net everything out and then apply 1 final setting?
BTW--I read a thread of yours on pre-emphasis, and your desire for a customizable EQ.  This is what scthom's working on with his EQdb plugin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up