INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play VOB / IFO - come on now - please  (Read 3757 times)

slaver

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
How to play VOB / IFO - come on now - please
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:04:59 am »

I have used J River Media Jukebox and Media Center for years for my audio collection and want to use MC 11 as my "all media" front end.  However, I am having issues with DVD playback that are holding me back.

I have searched the forums and have found others requesting / pleading for this functionality.  From my reading and working with MC 11.0.316, there seems to be confusing or lack of VOB / IFO support.

1) Does MC support playing of RIP'd DVDs (VOB, IFO, BUP files) from network drives in the manner of traditional DVD players?  That is, is there support for DVD Menus that allow watching the extra scenes, changing the language, etc, while playing from network drives.

2) Does MC support playing of RIP'd DVDs (just VOB files) from network drives that allow seemless playback?  That is, can MC combine the relevat VOB files and play a continous movie with no skips between VOBs?

- The Media import lists VOB and IFO as file types, but when selected and imported no VOB or IFO files display in library.  Although the library import file states they were imported.

- I can drag the VOB file into the library and can see it, but it won't play.

- I can rename the VOB files and MPG and they play - Don't want to have to do that and not sure how to combine them for seemless playback

- Read May  2005 posts of MC administrators stating they want better DVD file playback - not sure if this has been implemented

I am willing to pay a premium for an elegant DVD playback solution via network hard drives - in case there is some licensing issue that is holding J River back.

Thanks,
Paul

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How to play VOB / IFO - come on now - please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 02:37:14 pm »

I don't think it is documented anywhere, but I have the system playing DVDs fine.  After you have ripped the DVD to the harddrive (should include VOB and IFO files), go to the MyComputer section and click on the directory where the DVD files are stored.  MC will say its evaluating and then list all the files found in the directory.  Right button click on the DVD file and select Import into MC.  Directly importing files into MC with the Library / Import media function doesn't work. 

If you change the VOB to MPEG, you loose all the chapter info,etc

slaver

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 07:52:53 pm »

Thanks dtblair, I will try what you suggest.

It was not clear that this method will support the use of IFO files for the extras and all that jazz or just play the single VOB file selected or play all the VOB files that make up the movie.  I am sure it will become clear once I give it a go.  I am not very confident this is going to work, but have my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the response.

Paul

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:04:23 pm »

This does nothing on my system. It doesn't go in the library, regardless of which file i select.

What happens on your machine?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 05:30:18 pm »

This does nothing on my system. It doesn't go in the library, regardless of which file i select.

What happens on your machine?
In import, do you have DVD checked?  It's under the advanced import.

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 06:52:14 pm »

Ah, ok, now it's in the library. Thx.

However, playing the IFO/BUP file results in an error. Playing the VOB files seem fine [i presume it'll string together - didn't wait to see what happens].

Should I care that I have to select the 1st VOB file instead of the IFO? Esp since I can manually set image to the cover.jpg.

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 08:13:43 am »

I think what should happen is you should be able to just point at the folder and MC should be able to figure out what to play all by itself.
The DVD software programs I use just need to be pointed at a folder. They then go looking for the video_ts folder and play.
If the folder name is the movie name then that could be imported and things would be much more straight forwad.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 08:52:55 am »

We'll take a look at adding this.

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 10:02:31 am »

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong; when i did multiple DVDs, all the VIDEO_TS/VTS_1_1/...other vob... need to be displayed in same area or else it doesn't play all the chapters.

Is it the appropriate experience that you need to be able to see all the files in order to play them all correctly?

shAf

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 07:19:29 am »

We'll take a look at adding this.

I apologize for retrieving this thread from obscurity, but a search for something RE MC11.1 turned up nothing.

I am trying to figure out how MC11 can play a ripped DVD, similar to how WinDVD can play "from folder".

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up