INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Counting Discs  (Read 1553 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Counting Discs
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:23:23 am »

Is there a Smartlist function that will return the number of CD's in a particular directory?  I need to count all the CD's, including the total from multi-CD sets.

nick

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Counting Discs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:58:21 am »

no, but,

you could create a view scheme where the first pane is "hard disc location" (remember that you can double click a folder in that pane and the pane will click through to that folder, not play the files)

The second pane would be [album] and then, when you select a folder in the first pane, the figure in brackets next to "All" in the album column tells you how many albums.

how you already handle multiple disc albums (or how badly you need the info) depends on that being an accurate CD count.
If you use something like [album] (disc1) and [album] (disc 2) then that figure will accurately reflect the cd count.

If you use the same album name and number the tracks sequentially from first to last, there may be a solution, but nothing springs to my mind right now. If the answer is important enough, consider changing how you handle multi disc albums.

If you use the same [album] and MC's [disc #] field, you can create a new library item. Call it something descriptive, disc count, perhaps, it will be a calculated field, and the template will be: [album] [disc #]
Add that to your viewscheme and the "All" figure in that column will tell you how many CD's.
Now you know that you have x number of albums covering y number of CD's

NickM

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 05:56:13 am »

Thanks for the suggestion Marko - yes I do need to count exactly...

I now use the same name for multi disc sets, with " - 2CD" or " - 3CD" at the end of the name to indicate the number od discs in the set.   Plus the Disc# tag set accordingly

I would prefer not to add any custom fields as I also use other players as well as MC.  I try to stick to standard tags that are stored only in the files.

So I guess that only leaves me with the option of a calculated field within MC?  And that's where I get stuck.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:44:04 am »

I've never done this, but it should work...

1. Export a playlist of the folder you want to count.

2. Import that XML into Excel (hopefully you have Excel).

3. Use Excel's functions to filter the album list to only have unique items then that should be the count. Sorry I can't explain how to do the filtering right now, I'm not at my usual computer with Excel.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 02:26:18 pm »

I am missing something?, when i click on one of my genre's,stated at the bottom of the screen, are total number of albums and time for those albums.

NickM

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:33:10 pm »

Mines shows the total number of files and total playing time.  I am looking for thenumber of discs ina particular directory.
nick

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:00:27 am »

I am missing something?, when i click on one of my genre's,stated at the bottom of the screen, are total number of albums and time for those albums.

Yes...when in album thumbnails view.

But if the Album Artist is the same for more than one CD of a multi-disc compilation then only one album will be counted.

So marco's idea with the calculated field is the way to go to get an accurate disc count.

NickM

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 03:52:05 am »

you could create a view scheme where the first pane is "hard disc location" (remember that you can double click a folder in that pane and the pane will click through to that folder, not play the files)

Markko, how do I chose "hard disc location" - I don't see it in the Standard View Item list.  Or is it an expression?

nick

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 04:47:21 am »

sorry nick,

in the list, it's called simply "filename"

If you leave the base directory field empty, it starts from the root of all paths in the library.

-marko.

NickM

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 10:26:57 am »

Marko - Wow! Adding a standard item called "Filename" actually inserts a field called "Location (root)".
And yes, it's clickable!
Thanks,
nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up