INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download To PC option  (Read 2216 times)

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Download To PC option
« on: October 19, 2005, 12:56:39 pm »

When I try to click the download to pc option using 11.1.37, nothing happens.  I have a 60gb iPod running Win XP sp2.  Anyone else have this issue?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Download To PC option
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 04:41:03 pm »

This option was not working in the last couple of builds and  is removed in future builds. However, t should work to right click on the files and drag them onto 'My Computer' in the MC tree.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:16:38 pm »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  I assume that when I right click and drag the files to a folder in My Computer that it will not remove them from my iPod, correct?

Later on,

BD6675

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:23:00 pm »

You should be given the option to Move or Copy when doing a right-click drag.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:41:42 pm »

I'm still seeing the "Download to PC" option in the latest Beta builds of MC. Should this option still be there? It'd be great if the option worked (it doesn't seem to be working still) -- I know I can manually import the files from my iPod to my PC, but that can cause duplicate files that I then have to remove manually (the files I already had on my PC get imported from the ipod along with all the new files, if I highlight the entire ipod drive and import all at once). I'm tihnking that since MC can tell, from with the program, which files need to be synced and which don't when going from MC to iPOd, then the reverse could hold true, if the download to PC option worked in the same way the upload/sync works, only in reverse.... but maybe I'm incorrect in that hope.... ?

(I did a clean install of MC with the last build, but maybe I didn't get all the old registry entries removed -- could that be causing the "Download to PC" option to still be visible?)

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 12:53:33 pm »

lukecro,

The download to PC option is not currently smart enough to intuit what should be sent and what should not. Having said that, we will remove the nonworking option for now and consider making it more robust and reintroducing it in the future.

Steve

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 05:22:08 am »

I think, many of us will be happy to download tracks from our iPods (and, perhaps other handhelds) by something like "Rename files from properties" with a checkbox "Leave original file on handheld." That is because the files get renamed during Synch when downloaded to handheld and there are a lot of files with same name but in differend folders on ipod, especially when foregn characters involved (filenames look like _____ - _____.mp3).  If you just copy files to a single folder on another  PC it will promt you "Replace: yes/no", therefore forcing to copy whole folders structure to PC via Explorer, and only then "Rename files from properties" to correct the filenames. This is not a big issue (for me, at least) since with MC you don't even need to know what the filename is or where is it (thank you SO very much for this!), but very convinient.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 01:26:24 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:37:56 pm »

You're welcome. Of course it's for you to decide, but from my point of view it would be better to merge such items like 'Move disk file', 'Copy disk file', 'Rename file from properties...' and 'Fill properties from file name...' in one menu plus to make it available for right-click menu on the handheld item because these are very similar functions. This item could be called something like 'Change file name/properties/location.' Does it make any sense :-\ ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up