INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which browser do you use the majority of time?

FireFox
IE
Mozilla
Netscape
Opera
Other (IE based)
Other (specify)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Browser Poll 2005  (Read 6521 times)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Browser Poll 2005
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:09:27 pm »

FireFox DL's went from 50 mil to 100 mil in 6 months which inspired the poll. Granted the counter is including upgrades as well as new users.

2003 poll here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=16633.0

Mods...care to make this sticky for awhile?

matshif

Re: Browser Poll 2005
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:28:13 am »

Since some time ago Opera is free and I like.
Only use IE for banking business.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 01:41:46 am »

Exactly, Opera is going to become the standard in a short while.

If you are looking for a browser that does everything well in one package, as opposed to bits that don't really integrate that well..go with Opera. Its available on Linux as well. Who cares if you can't get the source.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 03:44:50 am »

Exactly, Opera is going to become the standard in a short while.

If you are looking for a browser that does everything well in one package, as opposed to bits that don't really integrate that well..go with Opera. Its available on Linux as well. Who cares if you can't get the source.

If only I could get an answer on their support board, I'd probably use it.
FF is ok, with a slew of extensions.
When IE 7 goes live, I'll probably use it. I just like IE, so sue me...

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:37:52 am »

If only I could get an answer on their support board, I'd probably use it.
FF is ok, with a slew of extensions.
When IE 7 goes live, I'll probably use it. I just like IE, so sue me...

I've just spoken to my lawyer, papers on their way.
I'm sueing for £10,000,000.

Have some sympathy for web designers and followers of standards worldwide and boycott it! lol.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:31:23 pm »

I use practically every browser but probably more firefox than the rest. It is interesting that opera has gone free. On my slow home machine, it certainly comes up faster than anything else...

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 12:40:23 pm »

I find Internet browsers one of the most boring areas of computing!
They do so little as far as the user is concerned, and yet they still all seem to have major flaws or miss something that another one does really nicely.
I've finally got to a point where I'm secure enuf such that no matter what I do
with IE i don't get infected with anything, which was my only gripe with it.
If they could integrate IE/FF into MC in such a way that it was nice to use,
i'd probably just use that!  ::)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 12:44:07 pm »

Maxthon. But of course I should have been patriotic - for all you who don't know it Opera is norwegian software!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

UnknownID

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 05:20:54 pm »

BTW it is spelled "Firefox" ;D

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases
FAQs #8

UnknownID

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 08:07:55 pm »

Opera user since 1999.  8)

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 08:15:32 pm »

I have fully converted from Maxthon to Firefox....

Probably the ONLY reason, was I use Roboform, and in Maxthon it would disapear once in a while.
And foxytunes is pretty cool.
-

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 12:00:06 pm »

Opera 7 is surely the best of them all. Not perfect, but the closest by far. On the rare occasions I've used IE since, I wondered how I ever put up with it.

The best thing about Opera for me is navigation: everything you need is there with just the press of one key. That speeds work up and saves annoyance. OPh, and it works and does it all, and does just about everything faster than IE.

Firefox dls increased due to publicity claiming various novel features, all of which Opera had had for years (tabbed browsing etc). As an Opera user it was surreal to hear people raving about what great things FF did.

One bad word re Opera: Opera 8 is a disaster. It crashes many times per evening, far too often to be usable. The great navigation in O7 has been trashed in favour of some brain dead system like other browsers use, its a right mess.

Opera 7 is the one to go for. And opera.com only offers 8... what a shame. Just google.

Tab

LonWar

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 12:20:17 pm »

Opera 7 is surely the best of them all. Not perfect, but the closest by far. On the rare occasions I've used IE since, I wondered how I ever put up with it.

The best thing about Opera for me is navigation: everything you need is there with just the press of one key. That speeds work up and saves annoyance. OPh, and it works and does it all, and does just about everything faster than IE.

Firefox dls increased due to publicity claiming various novel features, all of which Opera had had for years (tabbed browsing etc). As an Opera user it was surreal to hear people raving about what great things FF did.

One bad word re Opera: Opera 8 is a disaster. It crashes many times per evening, far too often to be usable. The great navigation in O7 has been trashed in favour of some brain dead system like other browsers use, its a right mess.

Opera 7 is the one to go for. And opera.com only offers 8... what a shame. Just google.

Tab

Well, I took a look at Opera, Nice lookin.
Went to Roboform to get the plug in, and found out it wasn't supported.... Oh well.... Uninstall
-

UnknownID

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 04:06:47 pm »

I think it had more to do with the features being on a free browser. Wasn't Opera a paid program when Fx came around (I don't know, that is why I am asking)?

UnknownID

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 05:10:37 pm »

...Mods...care to make this sticky for awhile?

Why? Who really cares in this forum? ;)

pank2002

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 05:39:13 pm »

I think it had more to do with the features being on a free browser. Wasn't Opera a paid program when Fx came around (I don't know, that is why I am asking)?

UnknownID

You could download a free version with an ad-banner. This could relatively easy be removed, though.

I used to use Opera back in the days, but for some reason I stopped. Recently I tried it again and I didn't like it. It doesn't work as good as Fx with proper extensions (I think I missed Greasemonkey the most).
When I tried it again I though the interface was weird (compared to Fx), and way too big.
Also, I couldn't get it to match my Windows-theme (I tried for a whole 5 minutes :-) ).

Bottom-line: I'm sticking with Fx. It's a great browser, although it's lacking of a good download manager (I'm missing a resume-feature...)

Edit: I forgot, back in the days with 56k the don't-load-images-feature of Opera was great!
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

LonWar

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »

I had a chance to play with IE7 a bit..... And it semms a lot faster then Maxthon and FF

Should be interesting when it's launched.
-

modelmaker

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 06:50:53 pm »

Don't do enuff browsing to realy care and IE seems to do what I need.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 04:28:30 am »

I have never experienced anything special with FF. Though I have it installed, but I haven't found it much different to IE. For some reason I'm quite happy with IE. I have enhanced IE with the Google toolbar.

My second choice is Opera. I use its mail/news part for standard newsgroups and RSS feeds.

Opera's zoom capability is very nice on my laptop because its 15" screen has 1400x1050 native resolution. Without zooming standard web pages tend to be too small for convenient viewing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 05:45:00 am »

For my browsing enjoyment, I rely upon IE, Googel Toobar, and Ad Muncher.

The newest IE 7 Beta has improved lots over the initial Beta release. I'll be upgrading to it when it is released of course.

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 07:38:10 am »

UnknownID

No, Opera had been free for years at that point. Firefox now has many more users than Opera, based I think on hype alone.

Tab

UnknownID

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 01:33:08 pm »

No, Opera had been free for years at that point. Firefox now has many more users than Opera, based I think on hype alone.

Tab

Regardless, it is nice that there are choices out there ;D ;D ;D

UnknownID

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 03:09:16 pm »

I have never experienced anything special with FF. Though I have it installed, but I haven't found it much different to IE. For some reason I'm quite happy with IE. I have enhanced IE with the Google toolbar.

Ditto
Thanks!

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 11:55:33 pm »

Well, I took a look at Opera, Nice lookin.
Went to Roboform to get the plug in, and found out it wasn't supported.... Oh well.... Uninstall

Opera has a password manager built-in, though I don't know how it compares to Roboform...

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 02:27:29 pm »

Opera 8.5's Wand will remember passwords and user names.  You can enter the data by pressing Ctrl+ Enter.  Version 9.0 will sense certain fields such as address, city, etc. and will fill those in as well.  You need to have the data entered in the personal information options.  So no, it's not as good as Roboform, but it's getting there.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up