INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitrate / bandwidth  (Read 904 times)

dnoyeb

• Recent member
Bitrate / bandwidth
« on: September 30, 2002, 12:56:07 pm »

Does a 128kbps mp3 actually use 128kbps of bandwidth over the internet?  Or is their any compression involved in the transmission?

I am talking about the media server to MJ connection and the bandwidth required to play different bitrate mp3 files.  Comcast only gives me 128kbps upstream and that is iffy.

What is the 44.1 / 128 mean in the sonixMedia minime skin?

Thanks!

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bitrate / bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2002, 01:37:13 pm »

Actually it will require slightly MORE bandwidth to play without buffering.  There are at least 3 layers of protocols on top of the actual music data stream that will take up some of your upstream bandwidth.

If you want to see exactly what your effective throughput would be, go to http://www.dslreports.com/stest.

44.1khz was the rate at which the original music was sampled during the analog to digital conversion.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

dnoyeb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 09:18:13 am »

What protocols could exist on top of the music data?  I know the ones underneath.  But how can the bandwidth be more?  Interesting if true.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 10:50:16 am »

What protocols could exist on top of the music data?  I know the ones underneath.  But how can the bandwidth be more?  Interesting if true.

I guess it depends on your point of view.  ;D

There's the streaming protocol MJ uses.
Then there's Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
Then the Internet Protocol (IP)
Then any other protocols used by your provider such as Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM),
Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (PPPoA)
Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)
etc.

All of those take up part of the bandwidth your service provider advertizes (assuming you actually get the rate your service provider advertizes).

I have 640/640 DSL service which means that the line rate is 640 Kilobits per second in both directions.   The combined protocol overhead of TCP/IP and ATM eats about 10-12% of that which means that the maximum effective data transfer rate between applications I could ever expect is between 560-576 kbps.

Thankfully, I have a great ISP and I have never seen less than the maximum.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up