INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: replay gain...stupid question  (Read 780 times)

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
replay gain...stupid question
« on: September 30, 2002, 05:43:59 pm »

could some one explain to me the manual adjust in replay gain in dsp studio....thanks

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: replay gain...stupid question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2002, 06:13:54 pm »

Let's say you have 2 tracks, one analyzed at -14db and one analyzed at -10db.  When played back with replay gain turned on, MJ will adjust the volume by those amounts resulting in them sounding about the same volume.  The problem is that they'll both be a lot softer than they were originally.  To compensate for this, you can set the the global adjustment up to bring them both up to a more "normal" level (the definition of which is left to the listener).     In this example, if you set the global adjustment to +10,  the second track would sound about like what it did before and the first track would be set to -4db to make it close.

There's at least one serious downside to this however.  Tracks that aren't analyzed default to 0db adjustment which means if the global adjustment were set to +10db you'd probably have to pull the cat off the ceiling when one of these tracks played.  

Most of my music analyzes at between -14db and -7db so I have my global set to +6.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 03:14:48 am »

Remy,

Thanks for such a clear answer. It really explains a lot. I've been wondering why songs that were low in volume were actually lower in volume after setting replay gain. I guess one further question would be...

Do the files need to be placed in a playlist or other grouping and analyized as a set, or is the base volume a "universal" standard. I'm guessing the latter, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks..

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 05:41:49 am »

Tracks are analyzed individually.

Good Info: http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/replaygain/index.html
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up