INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Are the Names Not Already On the CD?  (Read 1851 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Why Are the Names Not Already On the CD?
« on: September 28, 2002, 12:28:32 pm »

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

Today I had to manually enter all the names for 2 sampler CD's.  One had 38 selections & the other had 40.  Of course neither CD was on the YADB database.

This has been bothering me every since I have been using CD's for the last 15 years.

With all the technoligy we now have, why in the hell is there still no information embedded in the CD with the CD Title & track name? ?

I used to have fancy component CD players with large, bright digital displays that gave me everything except the name of the CD & the selection that was playing.  This makes absolutly no since to me!!

What could Sony & Philips been thinking to make such a large oversite? ?

Can someone please explain that to me? ?

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Why Are the Names Not Already On the CD?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 12:56:52 pm »

>> Does anyone know the answer to this one?
Yes

You need to understand that no names or info are stored on Audio CD's

And only in the past 4-5 years programs created like MJ use a database that look up The CD TOS and cross ref that cd info with a database that matchs it up with Info a user like you entered into the database.

thats the short answer
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2002, 02:57:20 pm »

What you are talking about is "CD-Text".  CD-Text does appear on some commercial CD's, and should appear on all of Sony's CACD's.  I don't think CD-Text was part of the original RedBook spec back in 83, since it has only been around for a few years, and is still not that common.  Many CD-burners can burn CD-Text onto the disc, as long as your software supports it.  I'm not sure about MJ, but Feurio and Nero both do.  I just got a new Sony SACD/DVD player, but it only displays the disc title, and not the track titles.  Regular SACD players display he track titles as well.  (Most of Sony's Cd Players with the CD-Text feature should too).
I agree, CD-Text should've been part of the CD format since day one.

Here's some more info from http://www.discusa.com/cdref/cdaudio/cdtext.htm

CD TEXT is a recent addition to the CD audio specification allowing disc and track related information to be added to standard audio CDs for playback on suitably equipped CD audio players. The CD TEXT information, coded as characters for maximum efficiency, is contained in the R to W subcode channels in the lead-in and/or program area of a CD.
Lead-in area: text information about the whole disc and individual tracks.
Program area: text information for the current track including track title, composer, performers etc. The CD TEXT data is repeated throughout each track to reduce the delay in retrieving the data.
CD TEXT is compatible with the ITTS (Interactive Text Transmission System) standard. CD TEXT equipped players can provide a range of display formats from one or two line, 20 character display to 21 lines of 40 color alphanumeric or graphics characters. The specification also allows for future additional data such as JPEG coded images.

Menus are used for the selection of text for display. The main menu lists the available text items, such as album, track titles and artist names. Additional menus may be included before the text itself is displayed. Additional menus may be needed for language selection. In addition to displaying track titles, artists etc, it will be possible to select a track based on the name rather than track number.

In-car use will be important in conjunction with RDS radios which already display station names and, in some cases, the name of the music being played. This feature will be available for CDs using CD TEXT. Future DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting), with its CD TEXT compatible text service, will extend the possibilities further.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2002, 03:24:10 pm »

Yeh... I've known that for years.

Actually computer CD players have been around for a little over 20 years, I got my first one sometime around 1982, it played only, no ripping. Even at that time, I wondered why the track information was not already on the CD.

Through the years I got very tired of having to re-enter track information into various incompatible databases, only to have to do it all over again on the next great must-have new player.

I've always wondered why the information was not available from day one to be shown on all component stereo CD players as they all have digital screens for track info.  Most component CD players can show more information that the CD has available.  Why is that? ?

I think Sony & Philips really missed the boat when they designed the standards for  CD's.

I find ripping to be a real pain in-the-you-know-what.  Just when you get all the CD's ripped & set up just 'so', along comes a better file format.  Is it no wonder that so many users are totally confused by the file formats (and ripping in general)...

* Which one is best?
* What bit rate do I use?
* Bit Rate, what's that?
* Which one will play on all my devices?
* Which one will be around a few years from now?

Just think, if all the track data was already on the  CD, and if we had a 'standard' file format, the user could totally forget about ripping. All he would have to do would be to insert a new CD & MJ would automatically rip & add it to the play list.

I find that few of my friends have ripped all of their CD's simply due to the following...
* It takes to long to rip hundreds of CD's.
* Much confusion over file formats.
* Much confusion over bit rates.
* A general feeling that I will have to do it all over again in the future (I know that one firsthand).

If there were some real solid standards, a lot more users would be using products like MJ.

The problem now is that there is simply too much confusion when it comes to computer music players.

Maybe that's why Microsoft is pushing for Media computers to make the experience a smoother road for the user.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2002, 03:31:51 pm »

What would be nice is if they all get together, and not only put the Standard CD-Text but All The Other Nice Stuf Like Lyrics, Artist Info To Include All ID3 Tag Info

Then users Who Tag All There Music Don't Need To Hunt For Missing Info To Get Things Right, The Way They Should Have Been In The First Place.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 07:21:43 am »

If you rip your CD's to APE format using "digital secure" mode, you should never need to rip them again. The APE format is lossless (equal to the original CD data but half the size) so you can later make copies in whatever lossy format you wish without a double loss of quality. Of course you need more disk space, but that's pretty cheap these days.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 11:49:19 am »

>> What would be nice is if they all get together, and not only put the Standard CD-Text but All The Other Nice Stuf Like Lyrics, Artist Info To Include All ID3 Tag Info

Then users Who Tag All There Music Don't Need To Hunt For Missing Info To Get Things Right, The Way They Should Have Been In The First Place. <<

Boy, Right on!! Now we're talking, I really second that big time!! ;)

>> If you rip your CD's to APE format using "digital secure" mode, you should never need to rip them again. The APE format is lossless (equal to the original CD data but half the size) so you can later make copies in whatever lossy format you wish without a double loss of quality. Of course you need more disk space, but that's pretty cheap these days. <<

Seems like I've heard that about OGG as well (another format).
* Which one do I use?
* What bit rate?
* Will it play on all my devices (no)?
* Why should I have to convert the APE or OGG to another format just so I can play it on a different (incompatible) device?

See what I mean... no standards.  It's the chicken & egg, or Beta / VHS battle all over again & the user lost out in the long run.  The same thing is going on in recordable DVD... a lack of standards.

It's funny that after CDR has been around for all these years, standards are now just coming out that makes the CDR really compatible with each other.

Getting back to my original statement... WHY THE HELL IS THAT?

Why can't the so-called engineers do a complete job of it? ?

I think the big companies want to 'milk' each piece of hardware to the limits of human endurance.

Now Im ranting & raving!  I simply get so tired of this crap.  It seems to happen over & over with each piece of new hardware (and software).

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO DO IT RIGHT? ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2002, 11:58:29 am »

>> Why can't the so-called engineers do a
>> complete job of it?
i don't really think they thought users would have CD music playing on a Atari 2600 back then or Home Computers Would Be More Than That.

the Atari 2600 had 4 k of memory, and 2k is all they ever thought they would need. after 1 year they were bank Shifting 8k EPROMs

I had a 48k computer and asked about a 10meg bank of chips. they told me to get lost we would need that much memory on a computer (1 meg DRAM Bank was around $3000) and would fill a desk
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2002, 11:59:11 am »

Aren't the cda files on cd just wav files?  If so then they can and should be tagged from the mfgr ... see this thread about wav files supporting tags:

http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=3680&s=7f48b5aa41dc55deaa86e4104916dd43

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2002, 05:32:00 pm »

>> i don't really think they thought users would have CD music playing on a Atari 2600 back then or Home Computers Would Be More Than That.
<<

Very true.

The CD was actually developed in the '70's (before PC's), but componet CD players for home stereo systems (no computer involved) always had fancy digital screens for track data but the only thing that usually showed up on them was track 1, track2, & time... no song name, artists, or album title... all the data that should of been there from day one but is not.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2002, 02:16:57 am »

Do you want text in the cd's? use nero
Made in Portugal

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2002, 05:10:01 am »

Do you want text in the cd's? use nero
Or wait a bit and MJ version 9 will have a new generic burning engine with much better support for cd-text.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up