INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipod Problems 11.1.51  (Read 1310 times)

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Ipod Problems 11.1.51
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:31:22 am »

My Ipod Video was working great with 11.1, but this last install I did I started having problems. I added files to my IPOD via Itunes from an exported playlist from MC...worked fine. Then a few days later I used MC to copy a few songs to the Ipod, but when I ejected the Ipod and starting browsing there were no songs listed under any category.

Itunes would not recongnize the database, but MC would. I did the Rebuild Database Option in MC, and when I ejected the Ipod, it rebooted and now is in a constant state of rebooting. The only thing I can do with it is I found some sort of diagnostic tool by holding down the 'rewind' and 'action' buttons simultaneously as it is rebooting. The tool is mainly for hardware testing and does not appear to have a restore feature. At this point I have no way to restore the Ipod since I can't get it to boot.

On another note, I keep getting the message: "When the current handheld operation process completes you can close the program" whenever I try to exit MC while an external hard drive or Ipod is connected.

thanks

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Ipod Problems 11.1.51
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:08:32 pm »

I had the same thing happen a while back with my Gen 3.  I remember connecting it to the PC and putting it into Disk Mode by holding down Menu and Play? Or some combo like that.  I was then able to use iPod Updater to reformat it.  I almost returned it because of the problem, but switching to disc mode stops the rebooting. 

Here you go, instructions from http://www.g4tv.com/callforhelparchive/features/45700/Secrets_of_the_iPod.html

Resetting the iPod

If your iPod's locked up, you can perform the equivalent of a hard boot by holding down the Menu and Play buttons for about seven seconds. This forces the iPod to restart, and hopefully allows it to function as it should.

Disk Mode

Is your iPod missing in action when you plug it in to your Mac or PC? You can attempt to force your iPod's attention on your computer by invoking Disk Mode on your iPod. To do so, plug your iPod into your computer's FireWire or USB 2.0 port, use the reset button combination described above and, when you see the Apple logo, press and hold the Previous and Next buttons. In short order, your iPod should display the Do Not Disconnect message and mount on your PC or Mac.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:30:49 pm »

-

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:07:01 pm »

Try this?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30184.0

maybe someone should sticky that thread until we stop seeing people get caught in that restart loop...

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 01:28:19 pm »

Thanks,

I figured this was a common problem.

The G5 ipod Diagnostic Mode does not have an option for Disk Mode that I could find. I tried a couple of combinations to boot it into Disk Mode with no luck, so I took it in for a replacement. It's only a week old so it wasn't a huge deal. I wonder if they changed some of the secret codes?

Any others have the same issues with a G5?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up