INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashing while tagging w/ cover art  (Read 1372 times)

JONCAT

MC crashing while tagging w/ cover art
« on: November 11, 2005, 06:26:27 pm »

I have been doing a lot of image tagging and having crashes...but only while audio is playing. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience using MC11.316

JC

Media Center Registered 11.0.316 -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 11\

Workstation 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
AMD Unknown 2463 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 429 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3520AW  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3520AW   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:18  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive N: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-811S     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:18  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC crashing while tagging w/ cover art
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 06:06:06 am »

Do you mean that you were adding image tags or embedded images to a file that was currently playing?

I never touch the file tags if the file is playing. At least I momentarily stop the playback. And I mean STOP - pause is not enough because it doesn't release the file. If the file is reserved MC queues the changes, but in my opinion that is a bit dangerous and I really don't know if that can handle embedded images.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 07:31:21 am »

I never touch the file tags if the file is playing. At least I momentarily stop the playback. And I mean STOP - pause is not enough because it doesn't release the file.

This should not effect the operation

MC does tagging in the background, and any busy file just well not get tagged untill the file is free.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 07:48:47 am »

I just rolled out of bed and have the stero and MC off and just got a crash.

Sometimes I am picking some rather large images off the web and pasting them right onto the thumbnails in my main Audio pane view.

JC

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 08:22:59 am »

This should not effect the operation

MC does tagging in the background, and any busy file just well not get tagged untill the file is free.

there is a limit. I think MC will give up after 10 minutes and throw an error dialogue.
for the most part, you are correct. it can all go a bit pear-shaped if you use the rename from properties tool though because MC updates the filenames in the database before the files have actually been renamed, so, if you perform a subsequent operation on those files before the rename job has finished, the whole pack of cards comes crashing down. I *never* use the rename tool on any files playing or in playing now, and never do any other tagging untill the rename job has finished. beyond that (and the very annoying status bar) I've never had problems tagging playing files.

Dr. Cilantro,
are you pasting the image, or the image url?
are you saving coverart inside the file or in a central directory?

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 08:59:36 am »

Marko,

Are you saying that if a file is playing you don't edit the name, for example, and have MC "updateing tag changes" right then and there?

I am pasting images and saving them as folder.jpg as well as inside the files.

Some of these precautions should be compiled; anything to help one divert the possability of fragging files.

Dr. C

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 09:25:01 am »

Marko,

Are you saying that if a file is playing you don't edit the name, for example, and have MC "updateing tag changes" right then and there?
No. In my experience, general tag changes are fine while a track is playing.
My rule is to never make any changes that may affect the filename or filename path of the actual file itself, while it is playing, or could be played while the job is in progress.
Some of these precautions should be compiled; anything to help one divert the possability of fragging files.
you won't frag any files, but you could be booking your database in for some intensive care :)

I am pasting images and saving them as folder.jpg as well as inside the files.
perhaps try pasting the url instead? funny things can sometimes happen when copying/pasting images from the web. (jpg's being pasted as bmp's and the like)
won't do any harm to try it anyway and see if it makes any difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up